This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

FL PE2 + iM

Started by James O'Boyle, May 24, 2019 · 41 Replies · 349 Views

James O'Boyle

Hi @Alessandro Mainente,

I just started this PE + iM.  The rocking doesn't feel very smooth--should the movement be initiated only from only my core?  How does the table look?

Thanks,

James

Alessandro Mainente

Hey james, considering the limitation on flexion it is not so bad as you think. you are still holding tension!

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente  Awesome, thank you!  Does the iM look okay?

 

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente  Hi Alessandro, I'm currently working on 4x48r--how does it look?  This is the 1st set.

Thanks,

James

Alessandro Mainente

Hi James, personally i will step back on a lower number of reps. 

you can perform a simple check by yourself. check the amount of hips flexion on different seconds mark randomly. check if they are always the same. 

as you progress the set the hips flexion should be the same, no variations.

if there is a variation along with the set you need to stop when the variation comes out.

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente  Got it, I'll back down to 5x36 and refine the form!  I'll go further back if necessary and I'll post again once I feel like I'm ready to progress back up to 4x48.

Thanks,

James

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente Actually I went back to 4x24r on this one..  Do you think I should stay here and refine the form or go back even further?

Thanks,

James

 

Alessandro Mainente

HI james, if you notice the legs move lower faster compare to how fast the upper body raises from the floor. you cannot flex the spine more, do am I correct?

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente  Yes, that is correct.  The only way I can flex my spine more is if the entire thoracic spine comes off the floor.  I see that there is an imbalance here because of my spinal fusion.  Do you think I should try to reduce the ROM of the rock to even it out?

Thanks,

James

Alessandro Mainente

Due to the fusion, the rom is still limited, you can still improve the connection between upper and lower.

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente Hi again Alessandro, I've scaled it back to 12r and I believe I've smoothed out the movement a little--how does it look?

 

Thanks,

James

Alessandro Mainente

HI James, try this trick for me:

-put your palms on your knee (lower quads);

-hold the elbows locked;

-now to the rocks while PUSHING WITH THE HANDS AGAINST THE KNEES AND WITH THE KNEES AGAINST THE HANDS;

-if you open too much the hips (that is the common mistake) you have no longer chances to hold the contact between hands and knees.

little tips that i was used to teaching to my little gymnasts.

James O'Boyle

Hi @Alessandro Mainente! Thanks for the tip.  I tried this today.  How does it look?  I think I may have been rocking too much so that my lower back was coming off the floor a bit.

Thanks,

James

Alessandro Mainente

As you can see....no changes in the hips anymore!!!! take confidence with it...then remove the hands...

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente Very cool, thanks for the tip!  I'll keep working on this one.

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente  Hi Alessandro!  After about a month of working on this I've been gradually removing my hands--has my form improved?

 

Thanks,

James

Alessandro Mainente

wonderful!

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente  thank you, sir!

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente  Hi Alessandro!  I've worked my way up to 4x48 on this PE and I think it's time for another form check.  This is the 4th set.  How does it look?

Thanks,

James

Alessandro Mainente
22 hours ago, James O'Boyle said:

@Alessandro Mainente  Hi Alessandro!  I've worked my way up to 4x48 on this PE and I think it's time for another form check.  This is the 4th set.  How does it look?

Thanks,

James

HI james, i took a look at the video but from the first rep appears a break in the hips angle. the pic below was taken from the first rep.

JAMES.png

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente  Hmmm, well at least it is *feeling* a lot smoother!  I will go back and correct it.

 

Thanks,

James

Benjamin Haas

One thing that I notice is how high you are rocking.  At the end of the rock (toward your butt), your head goes way above the level of your knees.  If you look at the exercise video in the course library, the forehead only goes up to the level of the knees.

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente  Hi again Alessandro!  Here is another attempt... How does it look?

Thanks,

James

Alessandro Mainente
7 hours ago, James O'Boyle said:

@Alessandro Mainente  Hi again Alessandro!  Here is another attempt... How does it look?

Thanks,

James

HI James, you made the mistake of increasing the hips extension in order to make the roll more smooth but in this way you are simply changing the exercise.

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente  Oh, I see what you mean now!  I will correct that.

Thanks,

James