More than 5 reps on hardest progression

Started by Jay Guindon, May 3, 2010 · 10 Replies · 3,230 Views

Jay Guindon

What do I do when I've hit the hardest progression of a certain exercise for more than a 5RM? For instance, in BtGB the hardest version of dips is the XR Bulgarian, of which I can do 9-10 so I am no longer working in the strength realm of 3x3 or 3x5.

Should I just stop doing dips and find another pressing exercise or do I add weight?

Nick Van Bockxmeer

weighted muscle ups and start working towards iron cross maybe

Joakim Anderson

RTO dips. Rings turned out.

Is this the only progression in the books that you have questions about or are there more?

Razz

jocke said it. If that's the only exercise where your strength exceeds that of the book, then do not worry. The dips are probably the easiest progression to reach top level in, in the book.

Jay Guindon

Cool thanks. At this point the dips are the only progression I have maxed out on. No questions about the other progressions.

David Picó García

If you are doing the ring strength series, simply try to do those 5 reps for example after the shoulderstand (ex. muscle up, forward roll to support, shoulderstand, 5 reps of the bulgarian dips, and continue with the back lever ....

You will surprise how much harder the bulgarian dips become as well, how much hard is the ring strength with the bulgarian dips. :twisted:

Joshua Naterman

You can also add weight, add reps, or add sets. Can you do L-sit dips on P-bars? L-sit Russian dips? Those are one hell of a lot harder than Bulgarians for me, I can't do them. Not properly, anyways.

Blairbob

I believe Coach Sommer has stated than once the hardest dip progressions can be done, you can increase difficulty by using multiplane pressing movements or handstand pushup movements.

As well, you could start weighting the dips as well.

Coach Sommer
Blairbob said:
I believe Coach Sommer has stated than once the hardest dip progressions can be done, you can increase difficulty by using multiplane pressing movements or handstand pushup movements ... you could start weighting the dips as well.

For basic strength this is exactly right.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jay Guindon

Thanks everyone!

braindx

RTO dips held at 90 degrees past parallel... the whole time.

It is unlikely that you can do these unless your basic strength is extremely high.