I have been practicing tuck planches mon- fri, for six ten second sets. But I don't how to incorporate the other exercises in the book without over training. Maybe some tips? Or I am being a moron and not understanding the "create your program" part of the book. Thanks!
Static/ strength confusion...
Started by Ape, May 2, 2010 · 10 Replies · 3,033 Views
Simply doing the FSP's is one programming method.
But I don't how to incorporate the other exercises in the book without over training.
Carefully, I would experiment adding in the FBE. Everyone is different, coming in from different muscular or tendon strength. Some people are capable of recovering better or can handle more volume for a variety of factors (past training, sleep, hydration, stress, and fueling).
I would at least partner the tuck planches with back lever or front lever, preferably both. It sort of depends on what your goals are and how much time you have.
Ape said:I have been practicing tuck planches mon- fri, for six ten second sets. But I don't how to incorporate the other exercises in the book without over training. Maybe some tips? Or I am being a moron and not understanding the "create your program" part of the book. Thanks!
Check out killroy template or my programming article located in my sig.
If you have any further Q's after reading it feel free to ask.
Overtraining appears to be something of a myth. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121212081&page=3 Read that and watch the interview. There's a lot of good info there. We have a thread about the same thing here in Community I think.
THe key is to increase workload slowly. Add in a new exercise one or two days a week and don't increase until it no longer challenges you at the sets/reps you start with, and your other work returns to normal. Sometimes you'll temporarily get "weaker" with other work when you add in more, until your body adjusts to the work load.
Aslo, read Brain's article linked to in his signature. It's good.
I've been thinking a lot about the Broz comments lately, Liz.
The one thing with gymnastics is if you push too much and end up suffering tendon damage, it's not just like slugging through a slump. You're screwed.
Overtraining seems to be just doing more than you can recover from, really.
I definitely think you have to be careful with the tendons. I think there comes a point where you have to use some common sense and limit some of the low leverage, high force positions like locked elbows in straight arm work, but I don't see any problems with PPP, HeSPU, dips, pulls, core, and lower body work that would preclude them from bulgarian protocols. Heck, for basic strength it might be great! I'm going to start once finals are over.
Thank you guys! I will stick with my current program and will add front lever practice, with supplementary handstands as a warmup.
Could I bother you guys with another question? How do I know if my hips are level with my shoulders during a tuck planche?
You could practice next to a mirror and try to look to the side but in front of a mirror is better. If I ever look to the side, it's generally followed by a face plant.
Camera helps, even one on a cellphone. Video preferably or someone else knowledgeable.
Ape said:Thank you guys! I will stick with my current program and will add front lever practice, with supplementary handstands as a warmup.Could I bother you guys with another question? How do I know if my hips are level with my shoulders during a tuck planche?
My focus in the Frog Planche is simply to maintain balance and hold as STATIC as possible. I wonder if trying to do the Shoulder leveling is even possible ? Or is this something to progress towards.
Intrestingly enough, I made the mistake of raising my hips past my shoulder level, thus making the planche much more difficult. I was wondering why it suddleny became more difficul lol.
I will state however, after doing this for about a week, I could do a flat tuck planche instead of the curved back tuck planche. Just something to add.
Ape said:Intrestingly enough, I made the mistake of raising my hips past my shoulder level, thus making the planche much more difficult. I was wondering why it suddleny became more difficul lol.I will state however, after doing this for about a week, I could do a flat tuck planche instead of the curved back tuck planche. Just something to add.
I believe in my case my hips HAVE TO go past the shoulder level, else I wouldn't be able to maintain balance and do the hold.