This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN PE1 + iM

Started by James O'Boyle, April 26, 2019 · 46 Replies · 385 Views

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente @Everett Carroll

 

The MN series is another area where I'm very restricted due to my spinal fusion.  Again, not sure if this is worth pursuing or if the series is scalable at all.  

I was surprised that the tuck ups were doable.  Only showing one side on the windmills--my right groin did not like these today.  Anyway, how do these look?

PE:

 

iM:

 

Thanks again, I know I'm asking a lot of questions!

James

 

 

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey James, well here, no matter the spinal fusion, there is room for improvements, starting from the Pe where you can definitely compress more the legs over the upper body.

on the IM remember that ALMOST STRAIGTH knees  is bent

James O'Boyle

Awesome, I'll work on these!  Thanks!

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente  Well, my tuck ups are still looking pretty bad but I was able to really lock my knees on the windmill (and reduce my ROM a bit).  Does the windmill look okay at this point besides the reduced ROM?

 

Thanks,

James

Alessandro Mainente

Hey James, during the windmill increase a bit the distance between the feet and try again. for the PE i find that the front split course isso important here to improve the ability to compress the upper and lower body. there is a good restriction here on the hips flexion.

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente  Got it, I'll try to spread my legs more on the windmill.

It's interesting because I can get into a full deep squat where my knees are pressed against my chest, but I guess that is a far more passive position than the tuck up.

I have been doing the front split series weekly for about 5 months now and I'm definitely seeing some nice progress on hamstrings and quads--any specific stretches you think I should work into my daily routine?

Thanks again,

James

 

Alessandro Mainente

A deep squat with legs together? completely togetrher...or shoulder with apart?

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente  Completely together, like this--

 

As you can see there is still a bit of separation between knees and torso at the bottom because of the spinal fusion.  But my legs are still way closer to my torso in this position than in the tuck ups.

 

Thanks,

James

Alessandro Mainente

Hi James, the ability to compress the upper body to the lower body it is not limited by your spine, it is your hips and specifically the internal rotation. in fact your swivel hips are very bad, and swivel hips is a matter of internal rotation, nothing to do with the spine.

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente  Looks like I have some work to do.  I'll use your suggestion of the internal rotation stretch with my back against the wall every day.  How long do you recommend that I hold that stretch on each side?

Alessandro Mainente

Usually, this is concerned with capsule restriction so this variation of swivel hips for 2 minutes hold at least.

 

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente  Got it, will do!

James O'Boyle

Hi @Alessandro Mainente,

Do the tuck ups + windmill look any better?  The windmill is only shown on one side--I'm still working on opening up my groin on the other side for this iM.

Thanks,

James

Alessandro Mainente

Hi James, it takes work.. notices that the leg that is pointing sideward is still bent when you are in the deepest position.

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente  Ah, I see it!  Thanks.

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente Hi Alessandro,

It's been a while since I posted an update on this one.  I think at least the iM is getting better.  You can however see the reduced ROM on one side, it's much better than it was months ago but my right groin is still super tight (but only when my right leg is straight and externally rotated).  I'm hoping that as I improve my hip IR that the tuck ups will get better...

 

Thanks,

James 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey James, nice improvements. notice that you are welcome to do one last more set on the tighter side.

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente  Thanks, will do!  I'm also going to ask my PT if he has any idea why that side is so tight--I used to be able to get to the bottom of a cossack squat on both sides, so it feels like something weird is going on here.

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente One more question--should I stick with 3x3 on the tuck ups until they get better, or do you think that doing more reps will help to improve them?

Thanks,

James

Alessandro Mainente

Technique first. then progress further on sets x reps.

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente Got it!

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente  Hi Alessandro!  I feel like my tuck ups are getting smoother.  Do I need more compression here or do these look okay?

Thanks,

James

Alessandro Mainente

Hey james, they acceptable....now:

-coordination: heels and shoulders should touch at the same time;

-keep the legs together;

-it is not a case that you lack the range of motion on sPL swivel hips and in these exercises where you need active compression.

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente  Thanks, I'll work on the coordination and keeping my legs together.  Once I start getting compressed my legs want to drift apart.  

James O'Boyle

@Alessandro Mainente  Hi Alessandro, I wanted to post some progress on the tuck ups and stiff-legged windmill.  I'm finally able to reach the ground on both sides with the windmill, and the tuck ups are feeling a lot smoother.  How does everything look?  The PE and iM are in the same video:

 

Thanks,

James