@Alessandro Mainente @Everett Carroll
Hi all,
Some more form checks for your perusal--how am I doing on these?
Assisted Squats aka Kitchen Sink Squats:
Sideprone Lifts:
Thanks,
James
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by James O'Boyle, April 26, 2019 · 27 Replies · 183 Views
@Alessandro Mainente @Everett Carroll
Hi all,
Some more form checks for your perusal--how am I doing on these?
Assisted Squats aka Kitchen Sink Squats:
Sideprone Lifts:
Thanks,
James
Hey James, well:
-for the PE lock out your elbows so that the triceps assistance is non-existent.
-for the IM notice that as you raise the leg there is a bit of external rotation of the upper leg. it should be held neutral or at least no rotation compared to the starting point.
Got it. Is this more like what you want to see on the PE?
Aside from the external rotation on the iM, how is the ROM?
Thanks,
James
Solid improvement, James.
At the bottom of your half squat try to avoid leaning back so that your hands are keeping you from falling over. Overall you shouldn't need to use the arms for anything more than stabilization. Your ROM on your iM looks pretty good, but you might find that as you apply Alex's suggestion and keep your toes pointed forward that your ROM is more limited. I recommend submitting another video of your iM once you have made this adjustment so that we can give you a better answer. Keep up the great work!
@Jeffrey Bittner Understood. I'll post updated videos early this week with corrections. Thanks!
@Jeffrey Bittner @Alessandro Mainente How does this look? I straightened my hands so I am not gripping the counter, just touching it slightly.
And here is the iM--I'm really focusing on not externally rotating my leg. I began the reps from a position of slight internal rotation to try and counteract the impulse. But I'm still not sure it's correct.
Thanks,
James
Hi James, the PE is ok, lot of work to do on the IM. are you using the middle split series? also, i think that daily work on the hips restore series sounds good for you.
@Alessandro Mainente Yes, I'm doing all 3 stretch series once per week.
Would you recommend isolating certain stretches from the restore series or just completing the entire series on a daily basis?
Thanks,
James
Exactly like for the shoulders maybe a twice a week for the frog stretch is a good thing.
@Alessandro Mainente Sounds like a plan. Will do. Thanks!
@Alessandro Mainente I've been doing lots of hip work lately--the hip restore series daily as well as the middle split series weekly and also working on swivel hips with holds against the wall like you've suggested. Does this iM look any better?
Thanks,
James
HI James, a bit of improvement. if you compare the course video you can notice that there is a good different. actually, you are approximately to 45°, i suggest you to work at least up to 60°.
@Alessandro Mainente Gotcha, will do!
Continuing to post these so I have a record of incremental progress. This is the iM from today:
Thanks,
James
Hi @Alessandro Mainente,
How does this look? I feel like my left leg is almost there?
Thanks,
James
Hey James, for your first post there is for sure art least improvement of 10-15°, considering the starting point this is a huge improvement! keep working
@Alessandro Mainente Thanks, will do!
@Alessandro Mainente I recently started seeing a PT for some minor knee pain, and he found that I have extremely weak hip abductors. No wonder this iM has been so hard! It might also help to explain why I have such terrible swivel hips, if I'm correct that some of the abductors also function to internally rotate the hips? Tight adductors + weak abductors...
Rather than abductors, i would say some muscles that have a major external rotation function with open hips have also internal rotation function at some degree of hips flexion like in the swivel hips. having weak adductors can explain reduced active abduction of the hips.
@Alessandro Mainente Interesting! Maybe I should program in some extra sets of MSSSE24? Anything else you would recommend to strengthen the adductors?
Thanks,
James
Probably yes and also piriformis stretch for you.
@Alessandro Mainente Sounds good! I struggle with the positioning for the piriformis stretch in the Middle Split Series--I don't really feel the stretch in the piriformis the same way I do with the "figure 4" stretch (the last stretch in the Hip Restore Series). I'll post a form check of the Middle Split piriformis stretch so you can check out my form.
Thanks,
Jame
@Alessandro Mainente Just continuing to track my slow progress here. I can see more and more ROM each week. Strengthening my abductors in PT definitely makes it feel like the neurological connections with my gluteus medius are firing..
Thanks,
James
Awesome work, James! You're making some great progress!
@Jeffrey Bittner Thanks! I feel like I'm almost there!