New User Strong But Fat Inflexible Feel Overwhelmed

Started by Samuel Manrique, March 12, 2019 · 3 Replies · 2,320 Views

Samuel Manrique

Goals: Better Control of my body, more mobility and weight loss.  Would love to hit nice and controlled pull ups (hard more because of my weight) pistol squats, and some cooler rings and planche stuff.

Current Stats: 5'9" 281 lbs.  I'm 38, and have been lifting for 23 years and doing BJJ for 12.  I'm weight room strong and can still do a fair number of push ups.  Just 3 short years ago I was in the best shape of my life and have maintained much of that strength but gained a big gut.  From 202 to 280 this morning.  I find most of the Elements very easy for me, FUNdamentals is also easy.  Not sure how to structure a program for my goals given all the choices. 

I've been thinking of going through all of the Elements 1-5 by doing the upper and lower body in the same day 3 times a week MWF.  Adding the Handstand Tuesday, Thursday Saturday and stretching 1 or 2 times per week.

Watching my diet and going back to lower carb (less than 100 grams a day)  paleo.  I just feel like I may be neglecting some parts of my body.  Any guidance is appreciated.  

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Samuel, first of all, welcome aboard. Now it is important for you recognizing that a healthy life is important. 281 lbs is something that you can reduce but i recommend 3 this first:

-check your doctor and preferable perform an agonist sports check in order to see that you can easily push the intensity of your training and that your heart is fine;

-second thing: check for a PT, the higher the weigth the higher the stress on connective tissue. you must know if you have some limitation and if you need to solve them before pushing further.

-check for a nutritionist so that your training schedule can be paired with the nutrition.

Coach Sommer

Hi Samuel,

Once you complete the Elements workouts, then the next harder are the Foundation workouts.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Matthew Walker

While I don't really do the full Movement course as I'd end up killing myself right now, the Quadrupedal Warm Up from that and the wrist exercises from the Handstand course would be extremely beneficial for BJJ.