Question about my routine

Started by Maverick, April 27, 2010 · 4 Replies · 2,723 Views

Maverick

First of all: what is SSC? I keep seeing it everywhere but I can't find a post that describes what it basically is.

My new routine is going to consist of the following:

M/W/F

Static Exercises: Front lever progressions, planche progressions, possibly another (l-sit...)

Followed by FBE alternated on each day (ex: statics +workout A, statics +workout B, statics+workout A...):

FBE Workout A: pullups, handstand, chinups

FBE Workout B: planche pushups (or pushup variation), rows, dips

QUESTIONS:

1. Why do people keep their static holds at the same amount of seconds for 8 weeks?! Isn't that an incredibly long amount of time to keep the amount of time the same? Can't I increase my statics by like 5 seconds every week until I hit 1 minute???

****1.5. Are handstands considered a 'static' exercise? Do I need to advance as slowly on them as the static holds?

2. When do I know it's ok to progress on the FBEs? I find 3x5 pullups is incredibly easy, should I do 3x6? When do I know it's safe to increase reps on my FBEs? (once every 2 weeks...etc...when it feels easy?)

3. Is doing the same statics every workout a smart idea? I was thinking of pairing my Front levers with my 'workout A' and my planche progression with my 'workout B'. Is this a smarter idea?

THANKS!

Graham Smith

Maverick:

I strongly recommend that you purchase Coach Sommer's book, "Building the gymnastic body" available through this site. It answers most of the questions that you have just asked, as well as containing excellent information on the proper progressions and form of the exercises that you are undertaking.

I am progressing through BtGB style training following an absence from gymnastics of many years. I am being extremely strict with myself in not trying to progress through the static holds too quickly. While my major muscles may well be able to support the next progression in the series, not only will my form be sloppy, but the amount of control and body awareness that I am gaining by sticking with a lower progression for longer should not be underestimated. I have no doubt that this will translate to greater skill gains over time than if I just try to power through straight away.

Also, don't underestimate how intense a workout the static positions are in and of themselves. My personal workout is split into an A and B session like yours as follows:

A: Statics: L-Sit, Handstand, Front Lever; FBE's: 1 x upper body push, 1 x upper body pull, 2 x core, 2 x legs

B: Statics: Straddle L, Planche, Back Lever; FBE's: 1 x upper body push, 1 x upper body pull, 2 x core, 2 x legs

I workout 4 days per week, and this workload is well sufficient for me. To answer your questions directly,

1: Answered in the book. don't mistake gains in neuro-association with actual strength gains. When you are undertaking new activities, especially balance poses, your brain must make new associations and pathways. Don't be too quick to progress. Again, the book answers questions about how to gauge your progress, and when to move on to the next progression

2: In my workout above, the particular FBE exercises that I choose, I can honestly do no more than 3 sets of 5 reps with perfect form. If you find an exercise too easy at that frequency, then go to the next progression in the series. Pullups are not the end form! I know that I sound like a broken record here, but Coach's book has more than enough exercises to keep you challenged at 3 x 5!

3: As mentioned, I've split my statics and it works for me. The exercises are so intense that I honestly don't think I could hold good enough form to progress at maximal intensity if I tried to do them all at once. It also depends on what your goals are. If your goal is to perform a particular move, such as the planche, then of course you should practice it more often. My goal is to improve my overall conditioning hence why I am happy to split them. I usually do HeSPU's as the push move from my Workout B to ensure that I am getting in some handstand work with every session though.

Best of luck, and again, buy the book it truly is a bargain.

Maverick

So you alternate different static exercises each workout, but keep your FBEs the same?

If I am planning on working the same statics every workout (M/W/F) but vary the FBEs each session (workout A horizontal push/pull, workout B vertical push/pull) is that alright?

I guess I'm just wondering what the optimal thing to do here is. Is your method optimal or is mine? I don't want to hurt myself, but I want maximal strength/muscle gains! Just a heads up, I'm only currently doing 2 statics: front lever and planche progression. I might start L-sits, and after I get rings, I may work on back lever. At that point, I may need to split up the statics.

Graham Smith

Hi Maverick,

I do alternate my FBE's, but the amount I do is the same in workout A and B, so for workout A I might do supersets of horizontal movements i.e. pushup variants and row variants, and workout B I'll do vertical, so pullups and HeSPU's. To keep variety I'll switch in some curls or dips depending on how I'm feeling. Same with core and leg exercises, each workout I'll do two rounds of core / leg supersets, maybe HLL + SLS with back arches and GHR on workout A, and then V-ups + deck squats etc on workout B.

I can't comment as to it being optimal other than to say that it is working very well for me. Bear in mind however, that I am 30 years old, 86kg with 18% body fat, returning to gymnastics following a prolonged absence. My work capacity may well be very different to yours. I can say however, that I am keeping a thorough log of my measurements and workload, and I am seeing satisfactory gains in lean muscle mass, strength, skill progression and fat loss.

In your first post you've stated that you are aiming for 2 or 3 statics. That is probably fine to repeat each workout. Since I am also training back lever, handstand and v-sits, I am forced to alternate otherwise I would just burn myself out completely. Trying to progress a planche after 2 support sits, a handstand and front and back levers would be impossible! I have seen elsewhere on this forum, people saying that just training a couple of FSP's for a few months before moving to a different one results in better progression. Again, I can only speak to what has so far worked for me.

best of luck

Coach Sommer

Excellent advice, Primate.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer