This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Bent Arm Half Straddle Planche Hold; SE1>IM

Started by Maurice Peerani, December 18, 2018 · 13 Replies · 1,649 Views

Maurice Peerani

Howdy y'all,

I just started with this progression last week & though my Frog Stands are easy-peazy for me, these Ben Arm 1/2 Straddle Planche Holds, unfortunately, are not.  Did I not have my hands low enough on my Planche Bounces, prior? 

What should I focus on &/or what should I do to help rectify my mobility deficiency with this current progression?  I can't hold myself for any amount of time, parallel to the floor. I'm playing around with some trial/error, i.e. this morning I had 1 leg lifted while the other knee was on the ground; I've also had my knees on an aerobic board while my arms/hands press up to mimic holding my scaled weight.  Should I go back a strength/mobility progression or is there anything else I can/should be doing, right now?  As always...appreciate y'alls help!

 

 

Everett Carroll

Hey Maurice,

I suggest you submit videos of your Pseudo Planche Push-up, Planche Lean, and Prone Half Straddle Planche (the planche lean iM) form. Training those strength exercises with enough forward lean should allow you to transfer to the Bent Arm Planche exercises pretty easily. 

Maurice Peerani

Thank you.  Me not having enough forward lean was what I was afraid of.  I'll take a few steps back with this.  I think I'll go at more of a declining position, too.  

Duncan Lally

So annoying that some of the so called progressions are impossible….I’m thinking of the descending leg raise for 10” which comes out of nowhere and is impossible….bent arm half straddle planche is another. Some in between stuff needed to avoid discouragement

Alessandro Mainente
2 minutes ago, Duncan Lally said:

So annoying that some of the so called progressions are impossible….I’m thinking of the descending leg raise for 10” which comes out of nowhere and is impossible….bent arm half straddle planche is another. Some in between stuff needed to avoid discouragement

Hi Duncan, the bent arm straddle planche and possible solution/progression were already discussed here. Please take a look.

Matthew Walker
On 10/5/2021 at 3:07 AM, Duncan Lally said:

So annoying that some of the so called progressions are impossible….I’m thinking of the descending leg raise for 10” which comes out of nowhere and is impossible….bent arm half straddle planche is another. Some in between stuff needed to avoid discouragement

It's definitely not impossible. Search "Bent arm half straddle planche" in the forum and you'll see 99% of the time the coaches will ask for a video of the pseudo planche pushups and planche lean progressions or  other previous elements and identify weaknesses or improper form on those causing the bent arm half  straddle planche  to become a problem. There are plenty of people who have accomplished it. These skills aren't easy. Some people have to spend months on one thing or another just to get it right. 

Jules Morgan-Bert

Just adding to this thread as I'm starting to get some results here. I found that the following helped: 

  • Returning to Reverse Hypers and practice them more. 
    • I also tried to push off the bench I was using with my hands to get myself used to the sensation of contracting all the parts of the body required at the same time. 
  • Trying to hold Bent Arm Pseudo-Planche for 30-60 seconds
    • Bent Arm Pseudo Planche with one leg off the floor
  • Make sure your hands are below your hip bones
  • I also made use of a band attached to a pull up bar and slung around my hips. This works really well to warm me up and get ready for the intense muscle contraction required for this mobility exercise without support.  
Duncan Lally
On 10/11/2021 at 2:51 PM, Matthew Walker said:

It's definitely not impossible. Search "Bent arm half straddle planche" in the forum and you'll see 99% of the time the coaches will ask for a video of the pseudo planche pushups and planche lean progressions or  other previous elements and identify weaknesses or improper form on those causing the bent arm half  straddle planche  to become a problem. There are plenty of people who have accomplished it. These skills aren't easy. Some people have to spend months on one thing or another just to get it right. 

Ok but the leg raises definitely don’t follow on easily from the previous step 

Alessandro Mainente
14 hours ago, Duncan Lally said:

Ok but the leg raises definitely don’t follow on easily from the previous step 

HI Duncan, feel free to begin from a tuck bent arm position and with time move over the hips extension.

Duncan Lally

Thanks Alessandro, could you clarify?

Alessandro Mainente
2 hours ago, Duncan Lally said:

Thanks Alessandro, could you clarify?

The course shows a bent arm half straddle planche. if someone has not had enough strength he/she perform a tuck bent arm planche, reaches something like 20'', then move over adv tuck bent arm planche. basically is the same progression of the main straddle planche moved inro the bent arm planche until you can perform the bent arm half straddle.

Nick Murray

Jules: Returning to Reverse Hypers and practice them more.

^this is the way.

A planche isn't just a push off the ground. Unless you learn to contract your abdominals in the hollow body position, the glutes to keep the legs off the ground, and the lower and upper back to provide support for the shoulders, you'll get nowhere. In other words, your entire body needs to be rigid as you go into the planche position.

It is not possible to go into the planche position as wet spaghetti and then straighten up.

Stephen Casey
On 6/27/2022 at 5:22 AM, Nick Murray said:

Jules: Returning to Reverse Hypers and practice them more.

^this is the way.

A planche isn't just a push off the ground. Unless you learn to contract your abdominals in the hollow body position, the glutes to keep the legs off the ground, and the lower and upper back to provide support for the shoulders, you'll get nowhere. In other words, your entire body needs to be rigid as you go into the planche position.

It is not possible to go into the planche position as wet spaghetti and then straighten up.

I just followed your advice, @Nick Murray, and it completely took me from failure to completion. I wish I could upvote this more! Thank you so much!!!

Nick Murray
On 5/30/2023 at 1:17 PM, Stephen Casey said:

I just followed your advice, @Nick Murray, and it completely took me from failure to completion. I wish I could upvote this more! Thank you so much!!!

Glad to hear it. It's a deficiency in the instructions for a lot of the progressions that the accessory or supporting movements aren't described more completely.