This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

*Added workout log.

Started by kbryk, January 25, 2008 · 29 Replies · 4,302 Views

kbryk

Fri Jan 25, 2008

This week I finished up my straddle pike press to handstand, I haven't tried it on the floor yet but I've done it on our mini-pbars.

This week I've also noticed I am able to hold my back lever pretty well on the rings (10+ secs.), this of course is due to the fact that I can press to handstand since both skills require lots of core strength.

Other skills I am achieved since I started working with gymnastics skills.

Tucked press to handstand on parallettes , this is one of the first skills I worked on when I started some gymnastics training it was always my favorite because it became some natural and easy to do, of course because it was tucked and there isn't that much leverage.

Free stand handstand pushup, this of course is on the floor and not on parallettes, handstand pushup on parallettes is on my soon to be skills list.

Advanced tuck planche, after some shoulder work and lower back work advanced tuck planche is a skill I've got in reach of holding for almost 20 seconds, but still I need some work.

Elbow lever, although this isn't really a skill it's just something fun to do, it does require core strength and balance and that is the only reason I am listing it, I am trying to go from an elbow lever to a handstand the transition is bothering me though.

Muscle up with no kipping, this skill was acquired easily, with many weighted pull ups along with many false grip pulls up, dips are also a large part of the skill, what actually bothered me the most about this skill was the transition but once you have overcame the strength aspects and worked the negatives of the skill it comes quite easy.

I will begin my workout log now, since I do believe it will help me and others, and I have noticed I am loosing my gymnastics training and wish to get back into it and set up some new goals, hopefully I will get some videos up.

Alexander Kornishev

Good Job!

These are same skills I am currently working on.

Dead hang Muscle-up (rings and bar) is already achieved.

I can hold Front Lever for 10 sec and Back Lever for about 5 sec.

But just started Presses to Handstand, Planche, Straddle and V-sit training on parallettes.

I am currently looking to improve my workout schedule. Can you please post your workout routine? Are you practicing at home?

kbryk

Well I'll post the routine we do at school, at home I just mix stuff around when I actually have a set routine I'll be more than welcome to post it.

For gymnastics at school, this is off season though but season is starting in a few weeks so the conditioning may change; it goes as follows you can put this in nearly any order you want, 10x3 dips, 10x3 leg raises, 5x3 press to handstand, 1x3 for static handstand holds, each set is 1 minute, then 3x10 deep handstand push ups on mini-pbars; and that is basically it, I do lots of home work also, 50 pound pull ups I GTG this usually (2x10ish), lots of muscle ups on my home rings, many little tuck presses on my parallelettes, 12x4 v-sits with ankle weights, various pushups, lots of other little ring stuff l-sits, supports, resistance band Iron Cross cross work.

Ortprod
RF_Guy said:
Good Job!

These are same skills I am currently working on.

Dead hang Muscle-up (rings and bar) is already achieved.

I can hold Front Lever for 10 sec and Back Lever for about 5 sec.

But just started Presses to Handstand, Planche, Straddle and V-sit training on parallettes.

I am currently looking to improve my workout schedule. Can you please post your workout routine? Are you practicing at home?

You can do a front lever longer than a back lever? And is this on rings or bar?

kbryk

Well guys, when school ended I became a meat head and hit the weights everyday; hardly did too much body weight other than pull ups and dips, but once my brother came home a month or two ago, the person who got me into exercising and gymnastics I've been full gear on the planche and front lever work! and it has been going good, I can stick a straddle planche, I'm really excited, because I've been looking at this skill for almost 2 years and have never went full gear until now and have seen great progress.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfXjJvZ1cRk

Sorry for the quality.

Blairbob

Nice, squeeze your butt a little bit more to get rid of the piked hips and you'll have it.

kbryk

Thanks, didn't even notice the piking.

David Picó García

Wow, great!!!

I've been full gear on the planche and front lever work

And which has been this full gear (static holds, push ups...?)?

kbryk

Haven't touched a push up in awhile, I was a benchoholic this summer, really my sticking point for this skill was my back, I started doing my back Hyperextensions again to get back into gear, I used these as well to help me with straddle pike press to handstand, I would also work ball tuck planches on rings to get my joints ready for the heavy load when I was doing this I was thinking in the terms that the rings movement would help me with all my little kinks that needed some work in stability, from there I just did static tuck planche holds, a few strict tuck planche push ups and badda bing. When I say dips, I mean dips where you lean forward and try putting as much weight on your shoulders as you can to get ready for the planche, I did some other stuff at a near park I should video some of it because I think it would help some people.

kbryk

December 13, 2008

Start of overdue training

Static Hand Stands

SetxReps

3x00:45 seconds

Push ups!(slightly wider than shoulder width)

5x10

Diamond pushups:

5x10

Shoulder/hands at hip pushups(palms are near hips and shoulder width apart, nice compliment to planche work)

5x10

Pullups:

5x10

Bench:

1x7(135 pounds)

1x7(150)

1x7(165)

1x7(180)

Side crank:

3x10

Hip leg raises:

3x10

Squats:

5x5(215 pounds)

3x50(bodyweight)

Review of training: I will be working my static holds up to a minute as I use to do when I was training under a coach, as for now I will work 45 seconds, as for particular rest between sets, I am not worry about that as much at this moment.

- Pushups: Once again, I believe, and I hope you agree, pushups are a functional part of upper body strength. As for rest time once again to me it does not matter.

- Pullups are done either on my rings or hangboard, pullups were and are my favorite workout.

- Before you say anything about barbells I love both weight lifting and bodyweight, since bodyweight is more functional and impressive in my opinion I of course train bodyweight more.

- Side cranks; maybe I wasn't the first person to try these, it's a weird set up on my bench but it works the obliques perfectly for the flag. I'll post a video later. I do 10 reps(cranks) on both sides of my obliques so each set is actually 20 reps.

- Hip leg raises, another little nifty thing it's like dragon flags but a far easier version, with the exercise i leave my back on the bench and hang my body off the bench till my hips reach the end and then do a leg raise.

kbryk

December 14, 2008

Setsxreps

Handstand pushups:

5x10

Shoulder press:

5x5

Dip dips:

5x7

Ring Support holds:

4x15(seconds)

Handstand pushups; I do these against the wall because I have no spotter.

Shoulder presses; I'm and doing 5 reps on each arm with a dumbbell at 50 pounds between my sets of handstand pushups.

kbryk

December 15, 2008

Took a break today from a hectic week and weekend of school and running around. I jogged lightly for 15 minutes at school, then hung out with a lady friend, nice calm day, I forgot to mention Biology AP although a hard class it relates to so much, and takes up a lot of time during that learning period. For the most part, but still doing some static handstands.

Setsxreps

Handstands:

3x45(seconds)

Tuck planche pushups:

3x5

Just some light work today.

kbryk

December 16, 2008

Started off with some active stretches, haven't had a set period since last year in gymnastics that I actually took some time to stretch, before hand I ran my stairs for 2 minutes to warm the active tissues.

SetsxReps

Barbell Squat:

1x5(135)

1x5(155)

1x5(175)

1x5(195)

1x5(215)

1x5(235)

Barbell Bench:

1x5(135)

1x5(140)

1x5(165)

1x5(190)

1x5(215)

Dumbbell press:

1x10(70)

1x10(75)

1x10(80)

Barbell shoulder press:

1x5(95)

1x5(105)

1x5(115)

1x5(125)

Trap raises:

1x10(90)

1x10(135)

1x10(155)

Handstand Pushups:

3x10

Side lateral let downs/presses:

3x10(10 pounds)

Squat:

1x10(135)

1x10(145)

1x10(155)

Calve Raises:

1x10(135)

1x10(145)

1x10(155)

Side deltoid raises:

1x10(12)

2x10(18)

Front deltoid raises:

1x10(12)

2x10(18)

Side cranks:

3x10

Static stretches after all was said and done with my exercises.

Ok, So today since I do have some time to myself I'm going to exercise. Early today we went to the weight room and I did a bit of lifting there, they frown upon gymnast skills there so many kids mess around down there that when someone who actually has trained and put time and studying into something they are not allowed to do some handstands and such but anyways.. I got some lifting down. These workouts were done around 12amish, I am now exercising at 5pm.

Squats; I finally got back into these, its been about a year since my surgery although I do experience some soreness when I've been running around all day, but still lower body is I believe more functional than the upper, but I love working both so hey best of both worlds.

Shoulder press; I had no spotter so I stopped at 125, seemed a little dangerous to move on past this weight.

Trap raises; to be honest I've never really liked these it's just something I adapted to do for the sake of learning and trying something new.

HSPUs; which are done against a door, no spotter.

Side lateral let downs/presses; elbows are locked and above head, weights are dumbbells you lower down to shoulder height with palms facing up, then press the same way back up once again elbows locked. Great for shoulder strength for the flag movement.

Front/side deltoid raises; I love working my deltoids it is something you can feel and know that it is working unlike the trap raises, I think my deltoids are larger than my traps. :)

Looking for an explanation of one of my exercises, and a little information of how and why I do them, check previous posts. I am brief but maybe I won't be the only one getting something out of my thread.
kbryk

December 17, 2008

Active Stretching

2 minutes of stair running

SetsxReps

Pullups:

4x10

Rear deltoid dumbbell flies/rows:

3x10

Barbell back row(hands facing out):

1x5(95)

1x5(105)

1x5(115)

1x5(125)

General back pull downs(lat. pull downs):

3x10(hands facing out)

3x10(hands facing me)

3x10(behind neck)

Muscle Ups(rings):

4x4

Bulgarian Ring Dips:

5x5

Static Handstands:

3x1(45 seconds)

Stair running; I'm doing this for anaerobic reasons, it's a nice little burn and a good warm up.

Ortprod

Hey Kbryk,

Just wanted to drop in and ask a couple questions. What is the intensity of your workout? Do you sweat like crazy? And what is your current goal? (strength, size, skill specific, etc)

kbryk

Lately I'm not following strict times between my sets with exercises such as static handstands and handstand pushups. But everything else is done as circuit for the most part, I've been pressed for time lately so my workouts have been effected.

As for goals simply to progress,I know it sounds pretty general. I've strayed away from my body weight background and structure and I needed a wake up call, so I posted my logs as a way to improve my routines and to track what I've been doing.

I've never really put effort completely into one skill, I've always trained a few skills that seem to compliment each other.

Yes I do sweat pretty good, but to me if you don't sweat then what's the point, take this as you wish. Size has never really been a factor for me, my build is relatively small compared to others in the school gym so I try not to factor size in.

I've never been the one to experience hypertrophy, but hey as long as I feel good, see improvements I'm happy.

I hoped this answered any questions that you had, if you have anymore please do ask, I've done free weights, Olympic lifts, trained under a few coaches so I have some alright knowledge and willing to do what ever to help!

*Just a quick general statement

I've finally understood the point of periodization and IT WORKS WONDERS changing your intensities only for a week will make a difference, thought I should say that, just a training method I will now implement because it worked wonders.

kbryk

December 18, 2008

I went to the gym with one of my friends today and did an 'arm' workout, basically preacher curls, dumbbell curls, hammer curls, and other machines and free weights.

Squat:

1x5(135)

1x5(155)

1x5(175)

1x5(195)

1x5(215)

1x5(235)

Power clean:

3x5(135)

HSPUs:

5x10

Normal Pushups:

3x10

Diamond Pushups:

3x10

Shoulder Pushups:

3x10

Looking for an explanation of one of my exercises, and a little information of how and why I do them, check previous posts. I am brief but maybe I won't be the only one getting something out of my thread.
kbryk

Forgot to post yesterdays(

December 19, 2008) routine, it wasn't much other than bench, some back(lat pull downs)

December 20, 2008

Pullups:

5x10

Pushups:

3x20

Diamond:

3x20

Shoulder:

2x20

Muscle up(rings):

3x4

HSPUs:

3x10

Side deltoid raises:

3x10(18 pounds)

Front deltoid raises:

3x10(18 pounds)

Back deltoid raises:

3x10(18 pounds)

Trap raises(Barbell):

To lazy to list weight all above 135 though

3x10

Shoulder press(barbell):

1x10(95)

1x10(105)

1x10(115)

Static one arm handstand:

3x25(seconds)

Static one arm handstands; are done with the right arm for 25 seconds then the left arm for 25 seconds, I'm still getting cramps when I do these.

Today I will begin my goal to the one arm handstand. Last time I trained for this skill, it wasn't much, just touched base with some of the exercises I would be doing I would get many cramps so this time around I will make sure to stretch and warm up. Also I was kind of pressed for time, I don't get to see my friends a lot during school, we are on Christmas Break now so I had to get ready and workout kind of quickly... so I wasn't able to do my full routine.

kbryk

December 21, 2008

Break day!

So far my new training is going great. It's nice to be able to work out at home with a small set of weights and of course my body weight, I don't have a car and it's freezing outside so this works out well.

So far this log has been going well in my opinion, I still have to implement more gymnast movements. I borrowed my paralletes to one of my friends he lives about 15 minutes away and no way for me to get them back, so looks like for the time being I will train l-sits and tuck planche work on the floor.

matthew.percussion

Is it just me, or do planches seem harder on the floor? (compared to on parallets)

kbryk

Yes, its basically all about the wrists. You can use your wrists sort of as a lever, or something to hold onto to compensate for the shoulder angle.

matthew.percussion

I was thinking about this earlier today when I was doing some tuck planches. I lean to far forward and have to grip really hard to stay balanced. It makes sense. Thanks

kbryk

December 22, 2008

Squat:

1x5(135)

1x5(155)

1x5(175)

1x5(205)

1x5(225)

1x5(235)

L-Pullups:

5x5

Flat Bench:

1x5(135)

1x5(155)

1x5(175)

1x5(195)

1x5(205)

Side Crank:

3x10

Hip Leg Raises:

3x10

Static one arm handstand:

3x25(seconds)

HSPUs:

3x10

Deadlift:

1x10(135)

1x10(155)

1x10(175)

Muscle up(rings):

x4

kbryk

Been busy with family stuff during Christmas and Christmas Eve, but I was able to get in some exercising.

December 23, 2008

Did a tiny bit of working out, nothing much was pressed for time.

Pullups:

6x15

Bulgarian Dips:

4x5