Getting started after break

Started by Kim Junna, November 7, 2018 · 8 Replies · 2,381 Views

Kim Junna

Hi

I would like to know if you have any tips or recommendations how get started on foundation series after six months break. On a break I have done gym training on weights and also running quite a lot. I have now started deload weeks and little by little I add reps. 

I have not yet purchased handstand series. If I do what would you recommend for schelude?

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Kim , where to restart depends on the point/level you were before beginning the rest period.

Richard Cranker

Like Kim, I also had a six month break, but mine was due to rotator cuff surgery.  I have been doing the stretches and exercises recommended by my doctor and while my range of motion is almost 100%, the strength is that shoulder is no where close.  I am still strength training with 2.5 lbs on my shoulder.  I feel like I need it needs to be 100% in that shoulder before I start any training on any other upper body or anything that will require holding weight or pushing weight.  Is that true?  I worry I am going to injure something else to compensate or re-injure that shoulder.  The surgeon told me that I am too young for a tear the size I had and I can't even tell you exactly what I did to tear it, because it didn't hurt until I went to bed and the next day I had zero strength in that shoulder.  I have a habit of doing too much too fast and I want to get some advise to prevent me from doing just that.  Any advise will be greatly appreciated. What type of exercise and how much would you recommend? Is the Fundamentals program a safe place to start or should I start somewhere else and build into the Fundamentals program? I bought the Fundamentals right before I tore my rotator so I haven't even started it yet.

Alessandro Mainente
7 hours ago, Richard Cranker said:

Like Kim, I also had a six month break, but mine was due to rotator cuff surgery.  I have been doing the stretches and exercises recommended by my doctor and while my range of motion is almost 100%, the strength is that shoulder is no where close.  I am still strength training with 2.5 lbs on my shoulder.  I feel like I need it needs to be 100% in that shoulder before I start any training on any other upper body or anything that will require holding weight or pushing weight.  Is that true?  I worry I am going to injure something else to compensate or re-injure that shoulder.  The surgeon told me that I am too young for a tear the size I had and I can't even tell you exactly what I did to tear it, because it didn't hurt until I went to bed and the next day I had zero strength in that shoulder.  I have a habit of doing too much too fast and I want to get some advise to prevent me from doing just that.  Any advise will be greatly appreciated. What type of exercise and how much would you recommend? Is the Fundamentals program a safe place to start or should I start somewhere else and build into the Fundamentals program? I bought the Fundamentals right before I tore my rotator so I haven't even started it yet.

Personally....yes, before stepping back to full training you need a full recovery where, at least, shoulders has the same strength.

Kim Junna
On 11/8/2018 at 1:36 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Kim , where to restart depends on the point/level you were before beginning the rest period.

Hi Alessandro, Thank you for quick reply. When I started the break I was moving on quite nicely. I am former gymnast and I use to work out like this before foundation series. I stopped competing maybe 5-7 years ago. Now I have trained with foundation about two years 2-4 times per week. Here is the level where I was. 

Front level: SE1.     sPL: SE3.     SL: SE5.     MN: SE9

Single leg squat:SE6.     HBP: SE2     RC/PE21

Straddle Planche has been little bit challenging because of lack of progress and my wrists weakness. I am considering to buy handstand series for the wrists, even thought I have quite good handstand already. 

Alessandro Mainente

How much time did you stay without training?

Kim Junna

About six motnhs but I did weight lifting and other training every week. I have now made some adjustments to my training. I have moved couple step back. 

Alessandro Mainente

I noticed that you were quite advanced and you were training the specific SE elements. well, begin from the last PE of the progression. you should be able to complete them in 1 month until your level before breaking.

Kim Junna

Thank you Alessandro! I will do that and also will start handstand journey. I have quite solid handstand allready, but the form is a bit old fashioned. Also wrists workout are good for me.