This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Need some encouragement or advice

Started by PAUL DALY, July 3, 2018 · 40 Replies · 1,623 Views

Jeffrey Mailly

Bill Marr - I just read up on GtG now. Specifically at 100pushups.com and the author references an article by Pavel Tsatsouline. I think I may have been doing this incidentally at random times throughout the past 2 years. I have written entries in my workout journal where I noted feeling stronger 5-10min after a training session was over, coming back for an extra set or 2. I actually did it earlier this month. 

I'm really intrigued by this concept. It seems to make the most sense to me in my situation. I've also noted how I typically feel SIGNIFICANTLY weaker on my second training session of the week. I'm trying to fit all of my training into 7 days like everyone else. But 3 days of rest between workouts never seemed like enough for me - as tough as it is to admit it.

Alessandro Mainente - would this place me in the category of a "low recovery" individual - training 3 times in 14 days instead of 4 times? Where did those recommendations/designations go on the website? I think there used to be a section that described it in a bit more detail. I don't really care if my body is high or low recovery, I just want to understand my physiology more so I can train accordingly. If there's a better method for me to assess my body's recovery abilities I would love to read more.

Jeffrey Mailly

One more thought here. I'm really excited about trying GtG. The more I read the more it fits. I remember in High School (2002) I performed the most pushups out of anyone in my graduating class that year for the PE test. Even the footballers that were in the weight room every day. I was 6ft and barely 155lbs at the time and performed 64 pushups. I always wondered how I was able to do that so easily. And reading GtG I now remember - I was doing pushups many times a day because I was trying to beat this one guy in my class. But never did I try to bang out 5 sets of pushups in under 15min. It was more like one set before school, one set during school, another when I got home, and maybe one or 2 more before going to bed. lol.

I'm the first to say I don't believe in one-size-fits-all. So this probably doesn't work for everyone. I see many people having amazing results following the prescribed sets/reps scheme. It just has not panned out for me and so I am excited to try GtG. Sounds like the answer I've been looking for so thank you again. I'm going to give it a go and report back at the end of the summer.

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Jeffrey, ok. thank you.

now, we are going to complete the first 3 sets of 12 ok?

so take the session where you did the lowest number of rep on the 4th set, we say 12 12 12 8 ok?

now. before moving on you to compensate the 3rd set so that you can do it whenever you want. so do not change the last ste. always 3 reps.

perform the first 2 sets of 12. take 10'' more of rest compared to the normal situation then perform the 3rd set. if you arrive to 10 or 11 reps do as follow:

-rest 5'' and then complete the 2 remaining reps, then you will do the last set;

-on following training rest 3'' and complete the 2 remaining reps, then do the last set;

-on the 3rd training session stop 5'' on plank position and then complete the last 2 remaining reps, then perform the last set;

-on 4th training session perform the 3 sets of 12 and then another set of 8;

-on 5th training session perform 2 sets of 12 and in the 3rd sets perform 13 reps. if you can now you have compensated and you can build up endurance for the last set.

Jeffrey Mailly

So I did my workout last night for UB and your suggestion worked Alessandro. I waited a little longer between sets when i noticed the fatigue starting to set in. The pause was a little longer than you suggested but still under a minute. I was able to get a better pump on the 3rd and 4th sets than usual. Though I am still going to try GtG as well. Next UB workout is Monday so we'll see if there's a difference from one workout to the next. I tried this same thing on ground rows and scap shrugs too. Hoping I can FINALLY move past these.

Jeffrey Mailly

Checking back in again.

GtG was difficult to maintain. I was on a family vacation last week and it's tough to fit into my work day at my job. Despite that, I have done a little better than in past workouts following a similar approach to what Alessandro has recommended. Increasing rest time before set 3 and set 4 resulted in a full 12 reps.

My first 2 sets of any workout are always the best. I definitely perceive a good amount of fatigue setting in for the 3rd set. And by the 4th and 5th sets I just cannot complete the reps at the same tempo of the guided workout videos. The limited rest time seems to be killing me. This week I doubled the rest time before set 3 and 4. I performed the paired mobility and then waited around for another 20-30sec. Following this approach I was able to complete the 12 reps successfully and it gave my confidence a needed boost too.

How important is it that we strictly follow the tempo/timing of the guided videos? Is any amount of additional rest between sets acceptable - even something low like 20-30sec? 

Alessandro Mainente

The tempo and rest showed in the video is better for creating work capacity. if you change you cannot take the benefits from it.

i have another suggestion for you. try for 3-4 weeks to add a specific triceps work and shoulders work with dumbell. sometimes I've found that specific additional muscles work is necessary.

so for the next months, you will do as follow:

-use dumbbells or a pulley machine and check for a weight that permits to perform 15 reps (and no one more rep) on 2 exercises. triceps pushdown and front raise for deltoids (you can find them on youtube);

-now at the end of your training session, you will do 3x12 reps...with the time you have to increase the reps until you can do 3x15. at this point check again the weigth you need to use for 15 reps and begin again.

 

Thomas Hanssen

Can be a good idea to take longer rests sometimes. Around 2-3 minutes.

It takes that long for ATP (the main driver for muscle contraction) to replenish.

This allows you to get in more total work

And when you feel you can do it at that time, try decreasing the rest time.

Alessandro Mainente
6 hours ago, Thomas Hanssen said:

Can be a good idea to take longer rests sometimes. Around 2-3 minutes.

It takes that long for ATP (the main driver for muscle contraction) to replenish.

This allows you to get in more total work

And when you feel you can do it at that time, try decreasing the rest time.

Unfortunately the range 12/15 reps it is out from ATP energy system.

Jeffrey Mailly

It's been another week. Here are my current results.

Set 1 - 12 pushups
Set 2 - 12 pushups + additional 20-30sec rest
Set 3 - 12 pushups + additional 20-30sec rest
Set 4 - 12 pushups

Some additional observations:

1.) I was not being nearly honest enough with myself about my overall training. Core strength and good posture do make a big difference. The more I focus on my core, the more capable I have been at completing the reps.

2.) Warm ups. I really never considered them. Last week was the first week adding the 7min warm up and weighted mobility BEFORE my training session. I was always going into my workouts cold before this, figuring I could get my workouts done faster in as little time as possible. Not the case at all. Warming up has made a big difference in my perceived rate of exertion. I feel more capable with a bit less effort and I'm getting better results.

Nick Goddard
On 7/3/2019 at 10:10 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

The tempo and rest showed in the video is better for creating work capacity. if you change you cannot take the benefits from it.

i have another suggestion for you. try for 3-4 weeks to add a specific triceps work and shoulders work with dumbell. sometimes I've found that specific additional muscles work is necessary.

so for the next months, you will do as follow:

-use dumbbells or a pulley machine and check for a weight that permits to perform 15 reps (and no one more rep) on 2 exercises. triceps pushdown and front raise for deltoids (you can find them on youtube);

-now at the end of your training session, you will do 3x12 reps...with the time you have to increase the reps until you can do 3x15. at this point check again the weigth you need to use for 15 reps and begin again.

 

Hey Allesandro,

Could this extra tricep and front delt work be completed directly after the Upper Body foundation class?

thanks,

Nick

Alessandro Mainente

yes, it can. or it can be made on different days.

Jeffrey Mailly

Update.

Moved myself up to 4x15. I was able to do 4x15, but the last 4 reps were a struggle. I'm going to stay on this one for a while.

Alessandro Mainente

happy to hear that!

Jeffrey Mailly

@Alessandro Mainente Do you remember GB having some information about recovery ability? I remember seeing something like "Low Recovery, Medium Recovery, High Recovery" and then scheduling workouts based off of this. Can you provide a link to this information if it's still on the site? If not, do you know if there's some way to test or determine my rate of recovery? I don't want to be over-working myself or under-working myself. Just not sure how to make that determination though. I feel like I'm doing enough.

Alessandro Mainente

There are some methods to understand if you are recovering well, like strength improvements, quality of sleep. these are general.

more specific is monitoring the grip strength or the HRV.

Jeffrey Mailly

Time for another update. I'm still not quite at 4x15, but getting closer. I have not dropped back below 4x12 which was impossible for a long time. Thanks to everyone for the recommendations. I haven't needed to use grease the groove at all. But I am getting adequate sleep still, warming up before every session, and I've been more closely working on my core. In the series Coach says not to stroke the ego, find the weakness and get after it. I took a long look in the mirror and I was not being honest enough with myself. Since then I've made more progress by addressing my weak core and dislike for training it.