Unilateral training

Started by ICO, April 16, 2010 · 7 Replies · 3,442 Views

ICO

Good afternoon.

My right limbs are significantly stronger and somewhat larger than my left, especially in my arms. For my upper body, I prefer bodyweight exercises to lifting weights as I believe, rightly or wrongly, that I should gain a certain level of bodyweight strength before focusing on lifting weights. To this end, I have the following questions:

1) Do I need to use unilateral movements to equalize my left and right sides' strength and size, or will the weak side catch up over time with bilateral movements?

2) What unilateral bodyweight pulling movements exists besides one-arm chin ups or pull-ups, neither of which I am strong enough to do?

3) Will mixed-grip pull-ups, i.e., one side supinated and the other pronated enable one side to catch up? If so, will it be the supinated or the pronated side?

Please correct any misconceptions I have. Also, for all of the above, please keep in mind that I do not have access to gymnastic equipment, only a gym with weights, a pull-up bar, and dip bars.

Thanks,

Obi

Blairbob

one arm pushups, one arm HS, one arm body rows

Alvaro

I recall the coach saying that you must wait at certain level for you weakest side to catch up with the stronger one and then proceed to the next level. But don´t remember where he wrote it.

Rafael David

do OAC assisted

rubadub

For pullups & chinups you can just hold the bar with a few fingers of your strong arm, this forces the other side to work harder.

ICO

Thank you for all of the replies so far, people.

@Blairbob: do one arm pushups also work the upper body's pulling muscles as well as the pushing ones?

Thanks.

Seiji

They shouldn't unless you flex the pulling muscles while doing it... that just makes it harder for you though.

Tarun Suri

Quite the opposite, it will make it easier. More tension = better movement.

Rather than dropping down into a oapu, pull down with your lats. As Pavel would like to put it, visualise your body being a spring that is coiling up as you descend and release as you extend.