...with just strength and conditioning prior to getting in the water? I just did tonight, and it felt like my rotators cuffs were stressed the most. I'm stronger than the last time I got in the water, but I wasn't half as efficient as I used to be. With that, I really believe swimming is so unique (the crawl motion), that transfer from other sources of strength might be minimal to actual race times. Granted, my feel was not what it was, and some aspects of my flexibility were less. My kick isn't even 1/3 as fast as it was 8 years ago. Not downing gymnastics or calisthenics, just noting some experiences. I hope to stick with swimming, and strength training. Well, see where this goes. I very well could just not know how to use my strength properly. Hopefully, that is the case.
Makes me wonder how much improvement in race related results some of the people Ts00nami aided are getting from calisthenics.