Hi guys,
First of all, thanks for a great site!
I have a background in standard 'strength training' and in recent months have moved almost exclusively to bodyweight exercises - not least when Coach Sommer pointed out that JJ Gregory pulled a nearly triple bodyweight deadlift on his first day of high school weightlifting. It is obvious to me that any power lifter who can dead lift three times his own bodyweight is unlikely to be able to excel to a comparable level in gymnastics 'straight out of the box'. Now that is what I call adaptability!
The standard model goes something like this:-
Phase 1 - Anatomical Adaption
Phase 2 - GPP/Hypertrophy Phase
Length Of Phase 4-6 Weeks
Sets 4-5
Reps 10-20
Load (%1RM) 50-65%
Rest Interval (between sets) 1-2 Minutes
Phase 3 - Strength Phase (<20 second isometric holds)
Length Of Phase 4-6 Weeks
Sets 4-5
Reps 4-6
Load (%1RM) 75-85%
Rest Interval (between sets) 3-4 Minutes
Phase 4 - Power Phase (20-40 second isometric holds)
Length Of Phase 3-4 Weeks
Sets 3
Reps 3
Load (%1RM) 85-95%
Rest Interval (between sets) 4-5 Minutes
Phase 5 - Peaking Phase
Length Of Phase 2-3 Weeks
Sets 2-3
Reps 1-3
Load (%1RM) 95-100%
Rest Interval (between sets) 5-7 Minutes
Phase 6 - Active Rest/Transition
Length Of Phase 1Week
My question is this: Does this kind of model hold true in gymnastics as well? If so, how do gymnasts integrate the demands of plyometric and isometric training?
My frog planche is sub 20s (strength phase) and if I am scheduled to move in to a power phase, should I eschew all frog planching until my next 'strength phase', or should I try to find a supplementart power exercise that will help my planche?
I know Coach Sommer advises that isometrics can be performed up to four times a week, and at the end of a session, but if working plyometrics then I certainly need a bit more of a rest and would not think of finishing a session with isometrics!
Any comments appreciated.
Thanks in anticipation.