Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Progressing On keto or carnivore

Ben Sommer

Would any people who have tried successfully or unsuccessfully (as long as earnest attempt was made) to progress in gst or other strength protocols while eating ketogenic and/or carnivore diets share their experiences?

Edited by Ben Sommer

Romulo Malta

Hi Ben,

I have been on keto for some time. Absolutely no problem for me. People might argue that is not the best for performance and it may actually be so, but if you are just doing the usual schedule for the day, I don´t see it much as a hurdle to finish around 3 exercises(plus stretching). Actually today I just exercised while fasting (I´m going at least 3 days straight and will keep exercising during the fast). I mean, if I can exercise while fasting without a problem, let alone if you are eating normally on keto.

Mark Schoenhard

Vegetarian for nearly 10 years, full of inflammation, would get sick often, hard to gain strength and never felt great. Tried vegan/raw and my mother thought I looked ill and pale. Back to American diet and started getting overweight with chest pains. Keto for a year and a half and health improved. Carnivore for last eight months and has been the best fit. Nothing but lean muscle, inflammation gone, fast recovery, wonderful strength and mobility gains, higher quality sleep, great mood and increased mental strength and least stressful way of eating ever. No supplements, meal timing, fasting, intermittent fasting, pre or post workout meals and no food waste. Just meat and eggs.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Michaël Van den Berg

Very interesting! I would like to experiment with my diet again but I find the logistics of it quite hard when my wife does not join in, and with an almost 4 year old carb-loving little monster running around... :P how did you guys with families work it out? I don't really feel like taking care of three separate food 'trails' in the house... (but I realize that it is a sacrifice I will probably have to make if I really want to change my dietary habits)...

Michaël Van den Berg

(my wife and I were on a Paleo-with-dairy regime for years but when our son was born we hardly had any energy or time for anything else so we slowy drifted back to 'easy food'... we still cook most of it ourselves from fresh produce so it isn't as bad as it sounds, but I am really noticing the side effects of a high carb/grain intake)

Thanks for the feedback guys. I agree my energy work intense workouts isn’t really a problem now that I’ve been keto adaptable for a while, though I haven’t done any controlled comparisons. 

Michael - it is very hard for a family to eat differently. I was only able to control my diet to my specs and arrive at keto/carnivore once u divorced and lived alone :/

Ronnicky Roy

Gave keto 2 month trial. I don't do it anymore, because I felt dietary adherence long term would become an issue because I felt too limited. That said, while on keto my mobility improved immediately and dropped excess weight right away. Recovery was great. I just like more mouth pleasure in my life xD.

Romulo Malta

Michael, do you listen to Ben Greenfield´s podcasts? I highly recommend that. He´s a super athlete and biohacker and is ketotic most of the time. Besides the podcasts, he has several ebooks that might help you organize your eating style for the whole family. He has two sons, his wife is paleo but the kids eat slightly different due to their needs. He includes some healthy carbs for them. It´s everything manageable, you just need to better organize your "kitchen logistics". My wife eats what I cook, but she will eat her extra whenever she wants (bread, etc). Since the basics of keto are not hard at all to eat (for example beef and a salad with healthy oils), you can cook the basics and your wife adds the carbs she wants. Today for example I did a pizza with "fat dough" and she loves it , though she´s not on keto. You can cook several things that will look tempting and similar to a carb meal, and try to "fish" her through that :-)

• Like 1

Nathaniel McAdoo

One thing to remember about keto is that it is A TOOL: and a potent one at that. For many, keto can be a godsend. However, for many others, it is he completely wrong approach. Keto can be a stressor, and, if used in the wrong circumstances (heavy training load, high stress, etc) it can lead to problems. That being said, if you do give it a try, I highly recommend Robb Wolf’s keto masterclass and Ketogains: they will put you on the right track.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Daniel Kiely

Just a warning: My experience with Keto was a little different and I only mention this just in case someone else has a similar job. I had been on keto for about a month when I got a job at work. I am a firefighter, and this was one of the jobs where we were first arriving, our backup ended up 12min behind us and I was operating at my lactic threshold for the whole 12 plus more until we had it under control. I don’t know a what happened but I felt sick, I couldn’t regulate my body temperature, I was pale, it felt like my body was shutting down. I have been in other situations like this but never had this result. It took some time to recover.

I found out that salts are extremely important in the Keto diet and after finding Dr Peter Attia realised that carbs aren’t jet fuel and can’t be used as such and still not kick you out of Keto. 

So now if I am on Keto I carry those horrible gels and dose up on them for any job which has polential severe consequences. 

Love Keto though, but hard with the family. Remember Keto plus carbs = weight gain. 

Wow Daniel that is a great story. Puts things in perspective for all us folks just tinkering with our lifestyle. Kinda like a pro athlete, it’s your livelihood that is in the line 

I’ve had a time or two of bonking early on with keto, but now I am pretty good. But I too get juiced with sugar right before a sprint workout. I’m back in ketosis by the time I get out of the shower 

• 3 weeks later...
ROBERT Burtchell

I absolutely love keto. Sadly, I can't seem to go longer than a month on it with out breaking out in a rash all over my body. I tried sensitivity tests to the food I ate, but nothing on the actual foods. I realized it would start when I'd hit the 2-3 mark of my ketone meter. 

As far as my workouts were concerned, I did very well during 1-4 rep range stages. I've struggled once I started going above that to keep up.

• 1 month later...
Devon Devine

Loving Keto for about a year now. For kids its not easy but it can be done. They like Keto pancakes (cream cheese or almond flour based). They like most kinds of meat. They just have bread and fruit and sugary deserts too. So basically they eat what I eat plus non-keto stuff. The biggest thing I miss is spaghetti... when the kids have that I admit I am sad.

One of the best aspects for GST is because keto meals are low fiber you can still workout pretty quick after eating.

Toni Laukkavaara

Carnivore diet is absolutely fine for GST. I would also say that i prefer carnivore diet alot more than keto. Watch Shawn Baker if you're intrested in the topic, but in short red meat is awesome

• 2 years later...
James Strack

I like both Keto and Carnivore.  

I have been doing Keto for over a year now.  I regularly do Intermittent fasting by skipping breakfast, and currently have been doing OMAD ( One meal a day ).

Unfortunately, so many aisles of the grocery store are all processed foods high in sugar/gluten that this way of eating seems to be the only way I am able to not pack on weight.

James

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.