What does FL work the most

Started by Crimsoncross, April 7, 2010 · 23 Replies · 4,998 Views

Crimsoncross

What part does the FL work the most? How about the tuck and advanced tuck? Does it work the biceps a lot?

braindx
Crimsoncross said:
What part does the FL work the most? How about the tuck and advanced tuck? Does it work the biceps a lot?

Chest, lats, back, posterior shoulders. Abs by necessity as strength increases

Not much biceps (if it does then you're bending your arms and doing it wrong).

Crimsoncross
braindx said:
Chest, lats, back, posterior shoulders. Abs by necessity as strength increases

Not much biceps (if it does then you're bending your arms and doing it wrong).

So which gymnastic exercise works the biceps the most? The iron cross?

Crimsoncross

Does a back lever work the biceps more than the FL?

irongymnast

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2652&p=17302

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2561&p=16548

David Picó García
Does a back lever work the biceps more than the FL?

Yes, much more, in fact on FL i don't notice any work at my biceps. I feel it really intense at back shoulder and teres muscles of back, and lats. And all the core muscles. I also feel a lot of tension keeping my legs together and butt, not as a workout but as an assistance to maintain all core muscles tight.

Joshua Naterman

With rows you'll get some, but not much bicep work. BL curls and reverse muscle ups are probably the most bicep intensive dynamic exercises that I can think of.

Crimsoncross

I tried doing the BL last night and I couldn't do it for sh** haha, I think I could only do the "tuck" version of it. Last time I tried it (a few days ago which was the first time) the rings were too close so it felt very uncomfortable because my arms were sticking against my body somewhere and I couldn't move well. So last night I put them a lot more separate and I could do it, but I only held what seemed like a tuck for 15~ seconds or so. I video taped myself and I couldn't put my torso completely horizontal, like my chest and abs facing the ground, I couldn't.

I always did it with my arms in the position like in this picture:

leverbackf.jpg

because it obviously seems it would target the biceps the most like that. I've seen many people "do" a BL with a neutral grip, palms facing each other, but I think it is easier that way.

slizzardman said:
With rows you'll get some, but not much bicep work. BL curls and reverse muscle ups are probably the most bicep intensive dynamic exercises that I can think of.

How would the BL curls be? I know the reverse MU, but I've never tried it and I don't have access to a bar right now.

Nick Van Bockxmeer

I find the deeper you go in the row the more bicep action you get.

The BL curl is from a back lever to the bottom of a dip.

Crimsoncross
nickvb said:
I find the deeper you go in the row the more bicep action you get.

The BL curl is from a back lever to the bottom of a dip.

Is there any video of this? I've never seen it.

Joshua Naterman

On the BtGB companion DVDs there is.

Neal Winkler

I've seen it on youtube, done on the rings, but I doubt I would be able to find it. I have no idea what the name of the video was or who it was by. Should of saved it!

Animalonfire
Crimsoncross said:
I tried doing the BL last night and I couldn't do it for sh** haha, I think I could only do the "tuck" version of it. Last time I tried it (a few days ago which was the first time) the rings were too close so it felt very uncomfortable because my arms were sticking against my body somewhere and I couldn't move well.

My first attempt at a back lever no blood left my head/neck until I let go/fell down :shock: . YOU HAD IT EASY!!! :twisted:

Crimsoncross
Animalonfire said:
My first attempt at a back lever no blood left my head/neck until I let go/fell down :shock: . YOU HAD IT EASY!!! :twisted:

Lol how did that happen?

How come the BL is considered easier than the FL? I remember the first time I tried doing a tuck FL it felt waay easier than a tuck BL.

Btw is there an article here explaining the BL progressions? I found one in drillsandskills but it didn't have any pictures. Not very helpful.

irongymnast
Animalonfire said:
Crimsoncross said:
I tried doing the BL last night and I couldn't do it for sh** haha, I think I could only do the "tuck" version of it. Last time I tried it (a few days ago which was the first time) the rings were too close so it felt very uncomfortable because my arms were sticking against my body somewhere and I couldn't move well.

My first attempt at a back lever no blood left my head/neck until I let go/fell down :shock: . YOU HAD IT EASY!!! :twisted:

Well in my case, it was the exactly opposite. All of my body's blood had gone to the head/neck. But I think that's what you meant too. lol

BL is much easier than FL for me.

Neal Winkler

Crimsoncross, why not just buy the book?

Seem to me, that if a person is into bodyweight exercises, not owning BtGB is like being a Christian who's never bothered to read anything from the Bible.

When Coach Sommer is finshed with his five volumes, they will be akin to bodyweight training as the five books of Moses are to Judaism.

Crimsoncross

Yeah, I guess the logical thing to do is to just buy the book. I've been thinking about it and that's what I'll do.

But before that, so no one can show me what a BL curl looks like? I'm having a hard time imagining what it is, "pull so that you end in the lowest part of a dip". The heck is that?

Blairbob

It is pretty cool to watch but basically it requires really strong dipping ability besides back lever strength. You have to be able to do like pullups in back lever like those Bartendaz guys.

Crimsoncross
Blairbob said:
It is pretty cool to watch but basically it requires really strong dipping ability besides back lever strength. You have to be able to do like pullups in back lever like those Bartendaz guys.

Well, are they what Hannibal does here?

David Picó García

No, first of all this is not a back lever (correct form at least, although this seems pretty hard), the BL curl is from a BL, bend arms as your torso goes up and above bar. So basically you go from horizontal to vertical.

This is clearly explained (much better than me) at the book. :wink:

Crimsoncross
serotonin said:
No, first of all this is not a back lever (correct form at least, although this seems pretty hard), the BL curl is from a BL, bend arms as your torso goes up and above bar. So basically you go from horizontal to vertical.

This is clearly explained (much better than me) at the book. :wink:

It does look hard. I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it but I'd like to find a bar to try them, rings move too much.

As for the curls, I just wanted to see them to try them because I won't have the book too soon, maybe in 2 weeks.

Joshua Naterman

What hannibal is doing is really easy. It looks crazy, but it's not hard. At least not for me. I'm sure ppl will say put a video up, so I will if there's some sort of need for proof, but I'd say go try it yourself. Maybe I just have strong forearms or something, I dunno. I did like 12 my first try. They feel really neat though, and people look at you funny. :)