Q on major pectoralis rupture (sternal head- musculotendinous

Started by Gabriel Jipa 130908, March 2, 2018 · 3 Replies · 2,510 Views

Gabriel Jipa 130908

Hi , i suffered in mumbai in hotel an injury, namely major pec rupture on sternal head. This is specific to bidybuilders i think, in my case I do only GST and floor. I was doing some full ROM dips on a strange dips/pull up station with bars in 90deg, somehow simulating RTO.

 Due a machine bar system sliperry for few cm- had no ideea that was adjustable- in the transition i think i was on maximal lenght of pec. So it burst even if by reflex i pushed and locked elobows to support. Now i’m back in SG but had two MRI in Mumbai, showing report attached. Not sure if I face surgery  as due swelling it is still unclear. 

Question is : what is the best rehab strategy- in each case- conservative and surgery and if is possible to get back to same level if strenght. 

 Also if anyone can share experience on this would be great. Thanks 

gabriel68F702D5-5FDB-454B-943A-76F2FE4DDAF4.thumb.jpeg.98af4f31609832dcf6a941f0952ac36a.jpeg

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Gabriel, unfortunately, there is a rupture of the junction of the tendon-muscle unit with the fixed point in the skeleton. For this reason, if your PRIMARY goal is to get back your strength completely, surgery is not an option, is mandatory.

Gabriel Jipa 130908

Thanks a lot Alesaandro!  My concern is also on recovery time and rehab program. What programs you know I might use? I still wait for singapore doctor opinion as just returned from India . Best regards

Alessandro Mainente

It strongly depends on the type of surgery, some specialists are used to attack the tendon lower compared to the insertion, some of them upper. it can changes from cases to cases, also in your case depends on the problem to subscapularis.

Usually, you can step back to normal activity in the gym in something like 6-8 months.