Something else to consider, and the numbers on this don't add up on the surface: Remember how we have mentioned the study where subjects gained weight on a 2000 calorie diet that was 80% carbs and maintained or LOST weight on a diet that was 2500 calories and 80% fat? Well, my diet right now is veggies, rice, rice, rice, and some chicken when I have it cooked. High carb. It may simply be that the more carbs you eat the less total energy you need to maintain mass, I don't know. These are questions that are like out there in the twilight zone and I don't have a space suit.
Very interesting point!
I already came across this point in a blog by a guy who calls himself "Chinner", although its a german blog, where he described that after he went to thailand he ate a lot of rice and fruits and gained weight and lost some inches in the waist area. The thing is that he thought, and he did the calculations, that his total calories per day where way too low.
He had no answer to this, expect the idea that maybe a calorie is not a calorie and that we eventually focus too much on calories.
All in all a little strange!