Hi GymnasticBodies,
Ive been following and watching for a long time and im finally looking forward to starting Foundation 1, Bridge and Mobility programs soon! All around im a healthy and strong male, no worries there. However, i kind of want to get my wife in on this too and she wants to try herself. She has scoliosis with a good 37 degree curve if i remember correctly. 9/10 people with scoliosis do not experience pain from their cronic disease - unfortunately, she does. Also, since the curve is in her lower lumbar, close to the hip, it was deemed un-fixable and no operation could be made.
Being athletic and keeping your body healthy is very important and also reliefs quite a lot of pain from her spine. She does a lot of yoga which is fine, but there is no progression and she is not really getting stronger or more flexible. I think GymnasticBodies would be a great combination of what she knows from yoga, but with a little extra challenge / spice for her. Of course the goals wouldnt be to do muscle-ups, levers, etc. since she has aspiration for it. I just want her to get a strong foundation so she has less pain from her scoliosis.
Anyways, my point / question is:
Does anyone have any experience with scoliosis in the connection with gymnastics? Is it do-able? Is there certain excersis you should stay away from? Very new about training with scoliosis so ANY tips, tricks, experiences, etc. will be a great help ![]()
From
Philip
Doing GymnasticBodies programs with scoliosis
Started by Philip Kristoffersen, February 14, 2018 · 2 Replies · 2,372 Views
Hi Philip, usually the body tends to adapt very well to spine problem especially scoliosis and the bodyweight work seems not be a problem BUT I cannot say something more and I'm not suggesting to let her try for GST approach. Probably an expert opinion is a better idea.
Hi Phillip,
I have a bit of scoliosis and found the GB program to help me tremendously. I also invested in an inversion table with gave me great benefits after training to keep my spine long and loose.
Send us videos and pictures along your fitness journey.