Static position Times

Started by pauley, March 29, 2010 · 29 Replies · 8,668 Views

pauley

Say i am doing an l sit during a work out i normally do 3 sets of failure but i recently found out your meant to do 6x10 or 10x6. Is that for the whole work out or is it better to do them 3 times through out workout so i end up doing 3 mins worth of L sits?

Spartan300

Hi Pauley,

Reading the coaches book that would be 60seconds total work for that exercise per workout, it might not sound a lot but if you can hold a perfect form L sit for that time then i think you'd be doing well, i'm just a beginner at this type of training i can hold the L-sit on the floor with good form at the moment for 15 to 20 seconds but as i say i've not been doing them for all that long, however i have been training with bodyweight exercises in general for quite a while. Best of luck with your training. :D:D

pauley

Thanks i am not as spectaular as that i used to weight lift but it damaged my joints badly and i found this book from a friend i can only L sit on the ground for about 3-5 secs but on rings with straight arms and in between bars i can do about 12 secs so i'll do 10x6 thanks

heinrich
on rings with straight arms

remember to turn the rings out or at least neutral.

You are a beginner? Read this:

:arrow:http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/03/t ... -training/

Forum member braindx aka Steven Low covers everything you need to know. And he explains why you shouldn't train to failure. Leave it to bodybuilders!

Charles Weill
i'm just a beginner at this type of training i can hold the L-sit on the floor with good form at the moment for 15 to 20 seconds

Really? Wow, that's really cool. I can only max hold a 20s L-sit on parallets and I've been working at it for months. Guess that still makes me a beginner, lol. O well, still making progress.

pauley

sorry turn the rings out? Does that mean fingers pointing forward

Charles Weill

Turn the rings so that the inside of your elbow is facing slightly forward. Your wrists should be at a 45 degree angle with your body.

Spartan300

Schlaffman - i did L-sits today and only managed round about 10 to 15 secs each rep on the ground, i timed it with a metronome as advised by someone on the forum, so my hold times were down a bit today, maybe a bit of fatigue or maybe i miscounted before. Main problem i have with the sits is i don't feel i can get high enough off the ground, but as i say i'm pretty much a beginner at the exercise so hope to keep on developing as i gain more strength and control in the move. It is a hard exercise when done properly. I think having a timing device for static holds is a really great idea because it's soooo easy to speed your count up and then when you check your hold times via a watch or metronome you realise you're not doing as well as you thought. :D

Charles Weill
Main problem i have with the sits is i don't feel i can get high enough off the ground

Ah man, I know that feeling. I can hardly hold an L-sit on the floor. Then when I see the WODs that ask you to L-sit walk, it makes me feel like such an exercise creampuff comepared to Coach's kids :oops: . But once you've mastered it, you truly are ahead of the game with most people in terms of strength. :D

metronome you realise you're not doing as well as you thought

One...mississippi...two...mississippi...three: works really well. I can now count in sync with my stop watch's second hand. Nevertheless, I check my counting once in a while when I film myself holding a position. Maybe a couple days of rest will get you back to your PR. Cheers!

pauley

I normally have a friend to help me with timing but if not i use a count down timer and it makes a ringing noise i put 2 seconds extra on so i can get into position when i press start and works fine for me and my L sits have became a little higher okk the ground with my progress of L sits

heinrich

I count my breaths.

First I measure the seconds it takes me to breathe in and out. If you do it this way you focus on breathing which is very important (don't hold your breath!) and you get hold times of nearly the same length.

pauley

i have never thought of it like that i always keep my breathe held in for L sits i will try it next time thanks

Crimsoncross

Where do your palms face when you "turn out the rings"? When I do l-sits on the rings, the easiest position I find is when my palms are facing straight back. I haven't really tried neutral, because it felt weird. And I wanted to try palms facing forward to get some bicep hitting in there but I couldn't haha.

Guest
Crimsoncross said:
Where do your palms face when you "turn out the rings"? When I do l-sits on the rings, the easiest position I find is when my palms are facing straight back. I haven't really tried neutral, because it felt weird. And I wanted to try palms facing forward to get some bicep hitting in there but I couldn't haha.

Your palms should face slightly forward. Turn out the rings about 45º (and don't forget to lock the elbows). AFAIK, the idea is that you won't 'rest' (support) against the rings in this position - it sure makes the support position harder! Actually, static ring support holds are a recommended exercise for ring noobs (such as myself)!

Same thing with FBE such as ring pushups and ring dips - turn out the rings whenever you reach the support position. I believe there's also a harder dip variation where the rings are turned out during the whole movement (RTO dips).

pauley

i shall start doing neutral support hopefully it'll improve my ring work:D

Crimsoncross
biomieg said:
Your palms should face slightly forward. Turn out the rings about 45º (and don't forget to lock the elbows). AFAIK, the idea is that you won't 'rest' (support) against the rings in this position - it sure makes the support position harder! Actually, static ring support holds are a recommended exercise for ring noobs (such as myself)!

Same thing with FBE such as ring pushups and ring dips - turn out the rings whenever you reach the support position. I believe there's also a harder dip variation where the rings are turned out during the whole movement (RTO dips).

What does "AFAIK" mean?

Everytime I'm on the rings I never support or rest against them.

Is this rings turned out?

pic4h.jpg

Gregor

Yes, this are rings turned out.

Guest

AFAIK = as far as I know - I thought this was a common abbreviation in English (I'm not a native English speaker)...

pauley

i never used to turn out rings all i done was a little dip so my elbows didn't rest and then went into an L sit but now i will do a neutral position

Crimsoncross
biomieg said:
AFAIK = as far as I know - I thought this was a common abbreviation in English (I'm not a native English speaker)...

First time I hear it lol.

Crimsoncross
heinrich said:
remember to turn the rings out or at least neutral.

I tried doing an l-sit on the rings turned out. It was impossible. It was actually easier to "rest" against the rings attempting this (as opposed to palms facing back or neutral) and I thought the point of this was to avoid that. I couldn't get my legs as high as they should be on an l-sit because my body obviously leans forward turning the rings out and this was impeding me to do that.

I can hold an l-sit on parallel bars for 35-40 seconds, and 30 something on the rings with palms facing back, so I don't know what the deal with turning out the rings is for.

Blairbob

the L-sit is much more demanding on rings than on parallel bars. I hit 45s on PB tonight at the end but I doubt I could hit 30 on rings and I know for a fact the angle is better and higher on PB than SR.

heinrich
I don't know what the deal with turning out the rings is for

It is the hardest version of the L-sit and that's what we are looking for.

Crimsoncross
heinrich said:
I don't know what the deal with turning out the rings is for

It is the hardest version of the L-sit and that's what we are looking for.

Yeah, I know the point is to always look to make it harder. My bad, I expressed myself wrongly. What I meant was, I don't what the deal is with me, I can't do it.

Could you show me a picture of an l-sit with the rings turned out?

heinrich

Hmm... rings turned out seems really hard. All I could find was neutral:

stop at 0:12

and for example this one:

post-10903-13531537029746_thumb.jpg

I'm sure they both can do it with rings turned out. Look through several world cup vids on youtube. Many of them do the L-sit with neutral grip and then turn them out as they transition to Planche. That's also what Coach Sommer wrote in one of his articles about tue support hold (can't find it :x ): The advanced skills start from a position where the rings are turned out.

Work the L-Sit and post your own picture :D

I'm currently rehabbing several parts in my body but once I'm fine I'll work the L-Sit, too (according to braindx advice in his article on BWE). It might take some time but I'll post my picture :twisted: