Best CPT course to complement GB

Started by Alicia Kolesnikova, December 22, 2017 · 9 Replies · 2,405 Views

Alicia Kolesnikova

I'm an absolute beginner to GB and fitness in general, but I can already feel the effects of it and I would love to become a GB trainer some day. If it was up to me, I would just do GB, teach it, spread it, and promote it, but I suspect a CPT certificate will come in handy as well.  So, before I invest time and effort into it, does anyone know which certification would be the most complementary to the GB program? I do not have any medical background, but I would still like to get as solid a knowledge base as possible. I want a certification that would be recognized world wide. I'm considering NASM CPT or NSCA CPT. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Everett Carroll

Hey Alicia, 

If you have a bachelors degree then a CSCS would be excellent to get. 

Suzanna McGee

Alicia, I have the NASM's advanced PES and CES (Performance, and Corrective exercise specialist) and I love them. A little more intense than the basic CPT, but very worth it…  When I started my GST journey, I also wanted to become GB trainer immediately. Since then, I've learned that I need to be patient and take my time and first become what I want to preach. It is a great great program, and you gonna love it!

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hey Alicia!

I'm a personal trainer here, in Montreal and would say that many national institutions are good to start in the industry.  I've got some good ones here I can recommend, but I don't know if they offer their services in english, since it's mostly in french!  I think some courses are given online too.

 But in any cases, it helped me to better understands the basics of GB, so it's a pretty good investment to learn about fitness and training :)

Alicia Kolesnikova
3 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

If you have a bachelors degree then a CSCS would be excellent to get. 

Thank you, Everett. That's definitely a no nonsense alternative. I do have a bachelor, so it's a possibility. Might be a little tough for a beginner. But if it's too difficult now, I might consider it as a future goal.  

Alicia Kolesnikova
16 hours ago, Suzanna McGee said:

 I've learned that I need to be patient and take my time and first become what I want to preach. It is a great great program, and you gonna love it!

Lol, Suzanna. How can I not love it with such an enthusiastic introduction? Yes, I've learned that patience is key. What I love about GB is that you see changes in the body. I don't care if it's small, I just want to see some kind of shift, and then a steady progression. This program does just that. Thank you for your recommendations.  

Alicia Kolesnikova
31 minutes ago, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

I'm a personal trainer here, in Montreal and would say that many national institutions are good to start in the industry.  I've got some good ones here I can recommend, but I don't know if they offer their services in english, since it's mostly in french!  I think some courses are given online too.

Thank you, Étienne. I need to go as global as I can with the certification, simply because I don't know where I'll end up tomorrow. I'm in Ottawa right now, but I might move back to Europe, or God knows where next year. My French is pretty rough too. Lol. Merci pour votre conseil. 

Étienne Lajeunesse
1 hour ago, Alicia Kolesnikova said:

Thank you, Étienne. I need to go as global as I can with the certification, simply because I don't know where I'll end up tomorrow. I'm in Ottawa right now, but I might move back to Europe, or God knows where next year. My French is pretty rough too. Lol. Merci pour votre conseil. 

No problem! And since you're in canada, look for can fit pro or cptn-cpt.  These are reputated certs. Good luck with your research :)

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

On the subject of useful certifications. Red Cross basic First Aid and CPR is helpful. 

As an "FYI" the professional rescuer certification takes longer and goes into some emergency medical technician knowledge.

Alicia Kolesnikova
On 12/24/2017 at 3:40 AM, Rayne-William Fitzgerald said:

On the subject of useful certifications. Red Cross basic First Aid and CPR is helpful. 

Thank you. I got my Red Cross Standard First Aid/CPR/AED Level C certification some weeks ago.