Unfortunately I am not managing to do the T1 progressions regularly: it is hard enough to fit in Foundation, Handstand and Stretches. However, at the adult gymnastics classes I am going to we are doing some rolling, mostly as a not-so-closely-supervised warmup and I've got some questions which hopefully I can also ask here.
1) Forward Tuck Roll 3.3
- first thing: I tend to roll more on the right shoulder. I know the reason: having done judo in the past I have probably ingrained the forward ukemi movement pattern, in which the roll is on one shoulder only. I do not deviate much from a straight line in terms of where I land, but the asymmetry is evident if looking from the front. A (pretty old) form check (from the side though so not very useful for this problem) is here https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/30552-t33-form-check/ Is there any good drill to correct this problem?
- mostly a curiosity: at the gym the instructor has us perform the roll starting from tuck position, extending the leg during the roll and landing again in tuck position. She also insists on putting the head on the ground rather than landing on the upper back. I have noticed similar cues in other exercises which are (I think) a preparation for the front flip. I asked about the head position and from what I understood it is to encourage a forward movement rather than a vertical movement in place. I'd be curious to hear some comments about these technique differences.
2) Extended Forward Roll 3.4
We tried this once, and I have no idea on how not to bend my elbows. It is not a matter of strength as I saw much weaker people doing it with no problems. My only way not to bend the elbows is to go up into a handstand. But I am not ready for that and my landings get very rough. In any case, that's not the point of the extended forward rolls. What are some intermediate progressions to get the straight arms part?
Thanks a lot!