This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

T3.3 Form check

Started by Guido Franchetti, June 20, 2017 · 3 Replies · 81 Views

Guido Franchetti

I am still at 3.1, but had a go at this for fun (do not have any convenient setup for 3.2).

The first two reps were quite though: I did not hit head or neck, but the impact was not soft. On the mat it was simply annoying, on grass would have been pretty hard. Then I realised that getting more horizontal speed by pressing harder with the hands and "closing" more into the roll helps a lot. The other reps felt much better. I have practised a bit more and now I think I could even do on grass -haven't tried though. Having to push more and put slightly more energy was a bit counterintuitive at first: one would think that the slower/softer you go the better, but that seems not to be the case. Any further advice on this? Thanks!

Everett Carroll
51 minutes ago, Guido Franchetti said:

Having to push more and put slightly more energy was a bit counterintuitive at first: one would think that the slower/softer you go the better, but that seems not to be the case.

You're spot on. That forward momentum is a huge part of these, especially when performing multiple rolls in a row. 

Guido Franchetti

I'll post a front video when I get the chance, but I have noticed that I tend to do this movement asymmetrically and roll more on my right shoulder. I still manage to move on a straight line. I do not think this is due to some limitation, perhaps it comes from the fact that I used to practice judo, where I was used to movements as T2.4, rolling on one shoulder. Any idea on how to correct it? Pushing more with the left hand/bend the left arm more...? I am finding it hard to fix even if I focus on it.

Two accessory questions:

- should the elbows be completely in line or is it fine if they flare a bit?

- should the legs be kept completely together for the whole movement?

Everett Carroll
On 7/30/2017 at 3:43 AM, Guido Franchetti said:

should the elbows be completely in line or is it fine if they flare a bit?

They can be outside the line of the shoulder a bit. That's not a problem. 

On 7/30/2017 at 3:43 AM, Guido Franchetti said:

- should the legs be kept completely together for the whole movement?

Yes, keep your feet and legs together, just like course video shows.