This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hbp pe3 pseudo planche push up

Started by Leigh Kettle, October 13, 2017 · 39 Replies · 734 Views

Leigh Kettle

Hey guys

please may I have a form check of my pseudo planche push ups 

many thanks 

leigh https://youtu.be/KTKSJ5RhpkE

Ryan Segervall

I'll leave the form check to the coaches but Im just gonna say Im hyped to see you progressing onto PPPU! Looks  like the elbows are holding up :) 

Keep at it Leigh! 

Leigh Kettle

Thanks Ryan and it's mostly down to you my friend 

I'll get the odd twinge now and again (never durin training I might add ) but maybe I always will now 

feeling strong tho and I see you making good progress too so that's brilliant 

thanks  again ryan 

Mikey Cunanan

Excellent shape and range of motion @Leigh Kettle!

The only recommendation I have for you is to increase your lean just a tad so that your hands are closer to your navel.

Way to go! Your hard work is definitely paying off.

 

Leigh Kettle

Thanks mikey 

ok great will do this next session

many thanks 

leigh 

Ezra Richardson

@Leigh Kettle I am also working this step right now! awesome inspiration to see your form here and I'd say Mikey's tip applies to me as well, we'll master it someday!!

Leigh Kettle

Thanks Ezra we definitely will mate. I'm going to get in some more lean next session as I feel I can and I'll resubmit 

I thought the lean was sufficient as I just used the tips on the technique video of rolling over onto toes as this is all they do on the video however as I say next one I'll go for even more lean 

Leigh Kettle

https://youtu.be/0-sY6emn2_E

hey guys

here is an updated form check for you . I've been working towards the lean as suggested by @Mikey Cunanan so wondered how this was now the few reps I've shown here .. 

 

i feel like i must also add something I've been experiencing with this exercise

as I strive to lean more forwards my toes always want to slide along the floor often resulting in my face planting or loosing the position . What is the way way to overcome this. I prefer using my toes rather than the balls of my feel when doing push ups (and this is even advised in the technique video for pppu )so wondered how you guys stop yourself sliding forwards when leaning so much 

many thanks 

leigh 

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hey Leigh,

Nice work! Your lean has definitely improved. I suggest spending some more time getting used to the lean before adding reps, but it's looking good. If you take your socks off, or put shoes on as you do this exercise, you might be able to get some more traction to prevent you from landing on your face.

Mikey Cunanan

@Leigh Kettle

Nice lean! Excellent! I think what you are experiencing is perfectly normal. Even the slightest increase in your lean can amplify the strength needed to maintain good form for your pseudo-planche push-ups. Over time you will adapt to this new muscular stress.

A tip I like to use is to isometrically push your hands forwards in the direction of your head to create more tension for improved control. I hope this helps!

Leigh Kettle
17 hours ago, Jeffrey Bittner said:

Hey Leigh,

Nice work! Your lean has definitely improved. I suggest spending some more time getting used to the lean before adding reps, but it's looking good. If you take your socks off, or put shoes on as you do this exercise, you might be able to get some more traction to prevent you from landing on your face.

Thanks Jeffrey 

ok I will work on my lean for a couple weeks at least see if this helps 

thanks again

Leigh Kettle
2 hours ago, Mikey Cunanan said:

@Leigh Kettle

Nice lean! Excellent! I think what you are experiencing is perfectly normal. Even the slightest increase in your lean can amplify the strength needed to maintain good form for your pseudo-planche push-ups. Over time you will adapt to this new muscular stress.

A tip I like to use is to isometrically push your hands forwards in the direction of your head to create more tension for improved control. I hope this helps!

Thanks mikey yes that's great tip I will use next time 

thanks for all your help as always 

leigh 

Ezra Richardson

Hi All! I have had similar struggle with achieving the correct amount of lean in PPP, and you can see I commented awhile back in the thread as well!

I'd appreciate a bit of feedback on these 4 sets if you don't mind, they are set 1-4 and if you want to say which you think is either acceptable or the closest to it, that would be perfect! I'm all ears!

 

 

 

Thank you!!!

Mikey Cunanan
13 minutes ago, Ezra Richardson said:

Hi All! I have had similar struggle with achieving the correct amount of lean in PPP, and you can see I commented awhile back in the thread as well!

I'd appreciate a bit of feedback on these 4 sets if you don't mind, they are set 1-4 and if you want to say which you think is either acceptable or the closest to it, that would be perfect! I'm all ears!

 

 

 

Thank you!!!

Hey Ezra,

It seems like your struggles are coming from your choice in footwear in combination with the surface you are using. The material of your shoes is creating too much friction with the hardwood floor.

As a result, your feet are getting stuck to the floor preventing your from leaning.

If you are using this surface I recommend taking your shoes off to let your feet slide forward more easily.

Ezra Richardson

@Mikey Cunanan Thank you for the feedback! I don't mean to contradict your point but my understanding was that once you have the correct lean position that allows lightness in the toes while in the bent arm position, that on the concentric part of the movement your feet should not slide backwards at all. 

If I am wrong that is perfectly fine too! Yes the shoe toes are quite sticky on the hardwood floor, I find that it provides stability though!

Ezra

Mikey Cunanan
2 hours ago, Ezra Richardson said:

@Mikey Cunanan Thank you for the feedback! I don't mean to contradict your point but my understanding was that once you have the correct lean position that allows lightness in the toes while in the bent arm position, that on the concentric part of the movement your feet should not slide backwards at all. 

If I am wrong that is perfectly fine too! Yes the shoe toes are quite sticky on the hardwood floor, I find that it provides stability though!

Ezra

Ezra,

You are correct that your feet will feel very light if you are leaning forward far enough. Your form looks strong So far. 

Ultimately your goal will be to increase your lean so that your hands are somewhere between your navel area. You are nearly there.

This can be done if you start out deeper into your planche lean rather than a plank. With your current form, your feet are too far back which limits your lean. 

Does that make more sense?

 

 

Ezra Richardson
On 11/15/2017 at 10:53 PM, Mikey Cunanan said:

Ezra,

You are correct that your feet will feel very light if you are leaning forward far enough. Your form looks strong So far. 

Ultimately your goal will be to increase your lean so that your hands are somewhere between your navel area. You are nearly there.

This can be done if you start out deeper into your planche lean rather than a plank. With your current form, your feet are too far back which limits your lean. 

Does that make more sense?

 

 

Thank you @Mikey Cunanan Yes, this makes sense to me, and I will keep you updated! 

Ezra Richardson

@Mikey Cunanan here is my latest session, I dropped the volume to focus on form, only two reps for five sets, but this is by far the most lean I've allowed myself for PPP. I hope this is closer to what you had in mind! Let me know what you think please! 

 

Mikey Cunanan
1 hour ago, Ezra Richardson said:

@Mikey Cunanan here is my latest session, I dropped the volume to focus on form, only two reps for five sets, but this is by far the most lean I've allowed myself for PPP. I hope this is closer to what you had in mind! Let me know what you think please! 

 

Ezra! Very nice lean and range of motion. Very big improvement. You are definitely on the right track here.

Doing them in socks helps huh;)

Keep up the great work!

Ezra Richardson
6 hours ago, Mikey Cunanan said:

Ezra! Very nice lean and range of motion. Very big improvement. You are definitely on the right track here.

Doing them in socks helps huh;)

Keep up the great work!

Doing them in socks definitely helps! Haha thank you @Mikey Cunanan for the great feedback I will update you in some time! 

Leigh Kettle

Hey guys 

I’ve been slowly working on this exercise and regressing as I I focussed on my lean as you suggested

im increasing  reps so thought it best I submit the check for you 

many thanks 

https://youtu.be/2GYU-Yq1ezI

Mikey Cunanan

Nice form and range of motion Leigh! A powerful lean for sure.

All I can recommend is to hold that protraction at the top to ensure your upper back is supporting your weight. It may help to temporarily decrease the depth of your push up to prioritize the top half of the movement.

Leigh Kettle
18 hours ago, Mikey Cunanan said:

Nice form and range of motion Leigh! A powerful lean for sure.

All I can recommend is to hold that protraction at the top to ensure your upper back is supporting your weight. It may help to temporarily decrease the depth of your push up to prioritize the top half of the movement.

Ah ok mikey, I see

so to confirm shall I stick to current reps but instead I’ll do some half reps for a while (not going all the way down ) but hold the top position for a count of say 2??

is tht what you mean ??

leigh 

Mark Chin

Lordy, you are strong. These PPPs have been absolutely slaughtering me for, I feel, 8 months or so.  Well done, my man.

Leigh Kettle

Thanks mark 

Are you getting anywhere with them now then Mate ?

Leigh