Beginning training with prior/rehabilitated injuries

Started by Brian Corr, September 19, 2017 · 4 Replies · 1,873 Views

Brian Corr

Hello. I'm very interested in beginning GST training and am posting first at the advice of GST. I've had a series of injuries over the past several years which I am largely recovered from. Part of my interest in GST is based on the desire to address the root cause of these injuries and to prevent future ones. I have been advised that a number of moderators here are medical professionals and may offer an opinion.

I'm 41 and minus the injuries, in pretty good shape (I'm a glassblower, commute by bike daily, and until a recent move to Japan, worked out 3-5 days a week and trained Krav Maga).

Specifically, I was diagnosed (over the past 1.5 years) with infraspinatus/supraspinatus tendinopathy and some anterior capsular instability in my left shoulder, hip flexor tightness, and distal radioulnar joint instability in my left wrist. I have done a lot of rehab work and have modified contributing working/training habits. I know it is impossible to say with certainty without a real-life consultation, but do you believe (with no liability) that GST would be beneficial and appropriate if I clearly follow instruction and listen to my body? 

I would really appreciate any thoughts community members could offer. Many thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

HI Brian, yes it would be perfect if you want to re-build up a physique. 

One of the most important concepts I've learned in the previous 6 years, from my first seminar with Coach Sommer, it is the necessity to RE-BUILD back your connective tissue first, then move on.

When an injury happens they have, as a direct consequence, connective tissue disorders. if the problem it is not addressed it will appear again and again!

 

Ryan Bailey

Hi Brian,

I like what @Alessandro Mainente had to say related to connective tissue integrity and its priority.

As a physical therapist and GB student I would like to emphasize the attention to detail and great feedback received from the coaches in the private forums; you are able to discuss any of those questions about specific movements as they relate to GST.

A glassblower and bike commuter? You may enjoy the mobility benefits of GST! ;)

Ryan

Brian Corr

Alessandro and Ryan,

I really appreciate your feedback. I was hoping that the training would address core issues like connective tissue integrity, and am very encouraged to hear that you both feel it will. I think I'll move forward and begin the training, and will pay specific attention to detail and feedback from the coaches. And yes Ryan, I think mobility issues are behind most of the issues I've been having and I'm really excited to start working on it!

Many thanks for your thoughts and all my best,

Brian

Alessandro Mainente

You're welcome, Brian!