Introduction and question about my program

Started by Vic, March 18, 2010 · 2 Replies · 2,079 Views

Vic

Hi every one. I'm 35 years young :D . Grew up in Southern California. In High School and Collage I ran Track and Cross Country. Joined the military and than got a job with the Post Office. I love to box and have been doing lots of boxing style work outs. I've always look for better and new ways of training. I have always admired the strength and balance displayed by gymnasts and have always wanted to get some rings. I got a pair two weeks ago and am very excited about all the possibilities in front of me. I have purchased btgb so I have allot of work to do.

My question is, can you look at the program that I'm doing and give me some feed back? My goals are to build up to a Planche push up, a muscle up, front lever, back lever, hold a hand stand for a respectable amount of time and iron cross. some of these are long term goals but that is cool with me.

Day 1.

ring dips, 3 ladders of 3

inverted dips, 3 ladders of 3

L sit, 10sx6

pistols, 3 ladders of 3

hand stands, 10sx6

1 10 min HIIT routine

Day 2.

ring rows, 3 ladders of 3

bulgarian push ups, 3 ladders of 3

windshield wipers, 10x5

hamstring curls, 3 ladders of 3 (with a resistance band)

frog stand, 10sx6

1 10 min HIIT routine

Day 3.

pull ups, 3 ladders of 3

hspu, 3 ladders of 3

L sit, 10sx6

pistols, 3 ladders of 3

hand stand, 10sx6

Day 4.

jumping muscle ups, 3 ladders of 3

front lever tuck, 10sx6

back lever tuck, 10sx6

hamstring curls, 3 ladders of 3 (with resistance band)

windshield wipers 10x5

frog stand, 10sx6

10 min of a HIIT routine

Day 5.

rest

Joshua Naterman

The biggest critique I have is that you aren't putting enough time into muscle up pre-requisites, namely the dip progressions and the false grip pull ups. If you go to youtube.com/slizzardman you'll see I have a video called "Quest for the muscle up: False grip pull ups and Russian dips." Watch that so you can see how to start, but definitely follow the book on the dip progressions before you start working the Russians.

I wouldn't worry about the jumping muscle ups, you're going to get much more out of your training if you switch that out for dip work and false grip pull up work.I'd put pull ups in either day 1 or day 4 as well, preferably day 1. They won't interfere much with the inverted dips.

A final suggestion is that you not do this as a 5 day block, you aren't getting enough rest. day 1, day 2, rest, day 3, rest, day 4, rest will probably work better for you. On your rest days do some light work, like some light jogging, stretching, body movements like cartwheels and some light jumping, just to stay active. Not too much, you know?

Post-finally, a question: when you say ladder, how is that set up? What are your rest times, and are you going 1,2,3,3,2,1 or what?

Vic

Hi slizzardman, Thanks for the reply and the advise. To answer your question the ladders that I use go like this. 1,2,3,2,1. The rest time is enough rest between so that I can do each rep at a controlled and slow pace. I used to have a tendency to rush through work outs. I'm trying to get out of that habit.

After reading some of the forum I saw something that I liked and have added it. Instead of the jumping muscle ups I use a resistance band that is hooked onto both of the clamps to make a pulley like system. Much better.

Your video is very good. Thank you. I don't have any Parallet bars but I guess I can find a park that has some.