How many goals and in which order?

Started by Chris Hansen, March 17, 2010 · 6 Replies · 2,785 Views

Chris Hansen

Hello,

How many goals is it realistic to focus on at one time?

Things I'd like to work up to (can't do any of them currently) include: Headstand pushups, 1 arm pushups, front and back levers, and planche.

Can they all be worked on at the same time or is it better to pick one to focus on? Is there a certain priority order I should put them in? I feel like headstand pushups aren't that far off, would it make sense to focus on that and then move on to the next thing?

Thanks

Pablo585

Try looking up the killroy70 template. It covers all this in it except 1-arm pushups, but the progressions can go in the horizontal push category. Sorry I can't provide much information, but I'm all new to this too!

Joshua Naterman

Those are all possible to train simultaneously, since they are essentially all current goals of mine as well. You'll do best to concentrate a bit more on your planche work than the others, as the planche requires rather a lot of time to prepare the elbows for the strain the full planche puts them under. Heck, it even takes a while to be ready to do advanced tuck safely! moderate intensity planche work twice a week will do you right.

Headstand push ups and OAPushups are pretty closely related, because done properly OAPushups are primarily tricep dependant, as are headstand/handstand push ups.

Back lever is heavily related to planche, since done properly the elbows are stressed in a similar manner. Like the planche, go slow, work low to moderate intensity, build up slowly to being able to do 3-5 sets of 20-30 second work sets(meaning that is NOT your max) before moving up a progression, and don't move up if you can't hold the progression for at least 10-15 seconds.

Front lever comes slow too, but has less issues with joint prep since you aren't being pushed into lockout on any joint. Follow the same scheme. TO give you an example, I have been doing 4-5 sets of 25-30 seconds for front lever in the advanced tuck for the past few months. I CAN hold a perfect straddle for 7 seconds, but that's not nearly long enough to be using it as my work sets. I still use the advanced tuck, and I focus on perfect form. I am now holding absolutely rock solid for 40 seconds, and when I can do a few sets of that, rock solid to the end, I will almost certainly be able to hold the straddle for close to 15 seconds, and at that point I'll be transitioning over to the straddle. Don't make the mistake of never using the earlier progressions once you advance! Use them for warm ups!

Chris Hansen

Ok, thanks!

I'm always a little unsure how to schedule a workout plan; how much to focus on each thing to make the most progress without spreading myself too thin or doing too much and burning out.

Nick Van Bockxmeer
slizzardman said:
Front lever comes slow too, but has less issues with joint prep since you aren't being pushed into lockout on any joint.

I agree more or less but you can still get issues with the tricep insertion at the inner/back of the elbow if you are overdoing it with FL. Same for the middle split hold. A lot of strain if you are locking out the elbows properly. Bicep tendonitis is a more likely enemy with straight arm work, but its hard to imagine how Rodrigues elbows arent ridden with by tricep tendonitis from victorians.

Felipe

My way of scheduling goals is very simple.

I have 1 goal per time per category:

FL for Pulling

HSPU for Pressing

Straddle L for Static

V-sit for Core

2x squat for Legs

I work on legs every workout, alternating pulling/pressing and static/core. Quite similar to a WOD.

Joshua Naterman
nickvb said:
slizzardman said:
Front lever comes slow too, but has less issues with joint prep since you aren't being pushed into lockout on any joint.

I agree more or less but you can still get issues with the tricep insertion at the inner/back of the elbow if you are overdoing it with FL. Same for the middle split hold. A lot of strain if you are locking out the elbows properly. Bicep tendonitis is a more likely enemy with straight arm work, but its hard to imagine how Rodrigues elbows arent ridden with by tricep tendonitis from victorians.

I guess that's true, I've just been protected from that by extreme tricep strength. Tricep strain is certainly something to look out for, and that's why I stick really rigidly to my policy of slowly building to the volume of 3-5 sets of 30s minimum, before even trying the next progression.