Question on workout scheduling

Started by Chris Hansen, March 15, 2010 · 4 Replies · 2,318 Views

Chris Hansen

Hello,

I just got my copy of BtGB and am looking forward to getting started. I looked through the program design section a couple of times and there's a few things I wasn't sure about so I hope someone could help clarify it a little.

I was looking at the exercise categories and some of them, like the multi-plane pulling and the curl variations, I'm not strong enough yet to work on. Should I just set those aside for now until I'm stronger?

The book also says to set up a rotation between exercises, like a row variation one workout and a pull-up variation the next. How would that work with the core which has five categories described? Would you end up working the low back or a straight body exercise every fifth workout or would you want to work it more often than that? Same with the legs, work the hamstrings every third workout?

I apologize if this has been asked a lot. Is there an example program for a complete beginner?

Thanks.

Blairbob

Look for the Killroy70 GB program.

Chris Hansen
Blairbob said:
Look for the Killroy70 GB program.

Found it, thanks.

I'm still kind of confused about the core and leg work.

How often would you train the low back or straight body exercises, every workout or once per week or once every 5 workouts? Should you have a seperate hamstring day or would you train hamstrings on single leg squat day?

Sorry for being dense. The program design section in the book seems a little vague.

Blairbob

I forgot the Killroy70 program focuses mostly on upper body work.

M and Th I prefer to work leg power type of exercises. Sprints, plyo jumps, etc. On T and F, I work SLS coupled with the hamstring exercises. This is just what I like to do.

As for straight body work, many of my young guys are doing body levers instead of FL. While I can do them with bent arms from top to bottom with a hold, I am going back to retraining them with straight arms in lieu of my frustration with FL work as an assistance exercise. As well, I use front and back straight body progressions as a way to enter or exit FL and BL, embedded style if I do integrated training (3 rounds of FSP in tandem with FBE).

Chris Hansen
Blairbob said:
I forgot the Killroy70 program focuses mostly on upper body work.

M and Th I prefer to work leg power type of exercises. Sprints, plyo jumps, etc. On T and F, I work SLS coupled with the hamstring exercises. This is just what I like to do.

As for straight body work, many of my young guys are doing body levers instead of FL. While I can do them with bent arms from top to bottom with a hold, I am going back to retraining them with straight arms in lieu of my frustration with FL work as an assistance exercise. As well, I use front and back straight body progressions as a way to enter or exit FL and BL, embedded style if I do integrated training (3 rounds of FSP in tandem with FBE).

That sounds like a good plan, thanks!