How much how often?

Started by Chris Hansen, March 4, 2010 · 11 Replies · 2,834 Views

Chris Hansen

Hello,

I have a quick question.

Can things like bridges, handstands, and L-sits be practiced every day or would that be too much?

I apologize if this has been talked about many times already, I wasn't sure where to look.

Thanks

Nick Van Bockxmeer

you can practise bridges and handstands regularly, you probably dont need to do it every day but like 4 times a week is doable no problem.

I wouldn't recommend L sits everyday

Blairbob

It will depend on your strength and fitness level.

Unless it's way too much volume, they are critical basics that we generally do every day...in our warmup.

Chris Hansen

Thanks for the replies.

I'm a 40 year old non-gymnast but would like to learn some of those basics.

I can hold an L-sit for a couple of seconds and would like to strengthen it. My short term goals also include headstand pushups (against a wall since I can't balance in a handstand for any length of time) and being able to hold a bridge with one hand.

Cole Dano

A bridge with one hand? That's unusual, do you mind me asking what motived you towards that?

heinrich

It might have been this one:

:D

Chris Hansen

A bridge with one hand will mean that I've gotten stronger, and then there's some other neat little exercises I can start working on that build on it.

I haven't seen the one in that video but it's on my to-do list as of now.

Cole Dano

There's a new one for me!

To the OP i'd say based on your post that the one hand bridge, like most any one hand exercise should be a LONG term goal. Get your bridges solid and your shoulders strong and open before doing too much with that. Ido is a top athlete!

Chris Hansen
Mr Brady said:
There's a new one for me!

To the OP i'd say based on your post that the one hand bridge, like most any one hand exercise should be a LONG term goal. Get your bridges solid and your shoulders strong and open before doing too much with that. Ido is a top athlete!

I completely agree.

I like to break my goals into short, medium, long, and very long term. I may never reach some of my very long term goals but, if I keep heading in that direction, I should keep improving.

jl5555

You cannot really see it in Ido's video but the flexibility of his shoulder displayed in that one arm bridge is quite amazing.

Cole Dano
jl5555 said:
You cannot really see it in Ido's video but the flexibility of his shoulder displayed in that one arm bridge is quite amazing.

That's an understatement!

Chris Hansen
jl5555 said:
You cannot really see it in Ido's video but the flexibility of his shoulder displayed in that one arm bridge is quite amazing.

Besides practicing bridges, will anything else help develope shoulder flexibility for the bridge?