This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pancake form

Started by Leigh Kettle, June 24, 2017 · 37 Replies · 1,235 Views

Leigh Kettle

Hey guys 

please can I have a form check on my current level of pancake sat up on a stool and 1 block. (It used to be 2 blocks so there's little progress if my Apt is ok lol)

manybthanks 

leigh https://youtu.be/zRM1VC4y5l0

Alessandro Mainente

Nice work! keep working and improving!

Leigh Kettle

Thanks Alex will do 

Leigh Kettle

Hey guys 

I'm feeling so much more comfortable in this position now but would love your feedback on how im looking in this position now I'm able to go deeper  if I may. Thoughts and in particular any advice would be very welcome 

https://youtu.be/q2Z9YjYzjYQ

Alessandro Mainente

Nice form, I think it is the time to reduce the height of the assistance. also instead of moving down, try to reach forward, it has an impressive carryover and benefits.

Leigh Kettle

Great Alex many thanks 

I'll now remove this last block and sit on the stool only 

thanks again 

leigh 

Leigh Kettle

Hey Alex @Alessandro Mainente 

Here is my form now taking one of the blocks away. I feel comfortable here but wanted to make sure all okhttps://you

i got a little excited so also have posted me sat with no blocks - I know my apt isn't ready for this yet but I'm am buzzing I can even do this as it wasn't that long ago it seemed impossible for me 

many thanks 

leigh 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Leigh, nice work here! ALways think about pushing your hips on the back actively. this will help on achieving the APT.

Leigh Kettle

https://youtu.be/cefgHA6LYOE

seeing some decent progress now able to sit comfortably on the floor without excessive rounding - all my practice I’m still elevated but from time to time I’ll see where I’m at  - 

Étienne Lajeunesse
1 hour ago, Leigh Kettle said:

https://youtu.be/cefgHA6LYOE

seeing some decent progress now able to sit comfortably on the floor without excessive rounding - all my practice I’m still elevated but from time to time I’ll see where I’m at  - 

Nice progress!

Chris Umiastowski

One thing I've been doing to (hopefully) accelerate pancake progress is to stretch as follows:  I sit in a straddle in front of one of those cable pulley machines with the pulley set around knee height.  I attach a handle that is small, and I grab with both hands.  I sit far enough back from the weight stack so the weight can pull me towards it and I can stretch out forward as far as possible while maintaining APT.  I use a fairly light weight.

 

Leigh Kettle

Hey guys

tonight after my middle split practice I just wanted to submit the following 3 pics to ask which one I’d be better continuing with when performing the pancake drills  

Im Making definite progress in that I’m nowable to sit on the floor in a straddle without excessive rounding (as discussed above ) however I still continue my practice sessions elevated on a stool (incidentally the stool is higher than the two blocks shown below and there’s is a small difference in block height in the 2 I’m using below ) 

would I be better sticking to the stool or dropping down to one of the three positions shown here . I was kind of thinking it may kickstart some more progress with my apt in pancake etc if I’m fighting more for it but I will obvs take your advice

many thanks

leigh 

 

5BB680B4-4DA1-43F6-9E78-A848FC7FBCA1.jpeg

F3363929-BE4A-49C0-ABF5-CB041372C71D.jpeg

A17795DE-26C3-4BCD-80E1-40A7CF95C239.jpeg

Étienne Lajeunesse

Nice work Leigh, it's a big difference! 

Leigh Kettle

Pancake sat on the floor is feeling “comfortable” for the first time - 

 I’m continuing to sit on one block for the series but can’t help having a play with the floor version now and then 

ive never been intense with my series just consistent - as advocated in this programme - brilliance 

 

 

Pauline Taube

So cool watching your progress Leigh! Always improving :D 

Alessandro Mainente
14 hours ago, Leigh Kettle said:

Pancake sat on the floor is feeling “comfortable” for the first time - 

 I’m continuing to sit on one block for the series but can’t help having a play with the floor version now and then 

ive never been intense with my series just consistent - as advocated in this programme - brilliance 

 

 

I remember when you began with the elevated surface under the hips....nice progress.

Leigh Kettle

Thanks guys @Pauline Taube @Alessandro Mainente

Really appreciate your help and guidance with it all 

Leigh 

Darwin Jose

Great progress Leigh!! Nice work

Leigh Kettle

Thanks Darwin 

All the best 

John Kiggundu
On 6/13/2018 at 8:07 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

I remember when you began with the elevated surface under the hips....nice progress.

@Leigh Kettle fantastic progress. 

Another key is that you've remained injury free. That to me is the most important "progress" if you will.

Jin Liu

Nice progress! Remember to keep the knees pointing to the ceiling, and externally rotate the legs/hip. Very hard to do, especially when you get closer to the ground. But I’ve learned some tiny details can be a game changer. And this is one of them.

Leigh Kettle
On 06/07/2018 at 3:08 AM, Jin Liu said:

Nice progress! Remember to keep the knees pointing to the ceiling, and externally rotate the legs/hip. Very hard to do, especially when you get closer to the ground. But I’ve learned some tiny details can be a game changer. And this is one of them.

HEy Jin

Can I just pick up on your point if I may 

you mention to keep the toes pointed to the ceiling . It has become habit for me to point my toes (plantar flexion)as strong as I can in all the elements that I feel require it. Is this such a move that I shouldn’t point my toes and rather point them up to the ceiling in Dorsi flexion.  

Clarification here would Be much appreciated 

all the best 

Leigh 

Jin Liu
14 hours ago, Leigh Kettle said:

HEy Jin

Can I just pick up on your point if I may 

you mention to keep the toes pointed to the ceiling . It has become habit for me to point my toes (plantar flexion)as strong as I can in all the elements that I feel require it. Is this such a move that I shouldn’t point my toes and rather point them up to the ceiling in Dorsi flexion.  

Clarification here would Be much appreciated 

all the best 

Leigh 

Hi Leigh, I meant pointing the *knees* to the ceiling, which means keeping the hips (and everything down the chain, incl legs) EXTERNALLY rotated. Doesn’t mean you can’t point the toes. I prefer have the toes pointed too. 

Another equivalent cue, if you prefer, would be the one coach used in the video “[in a pancake], if you have to roll the toes, don’t roll the big toes in, roll the little toes OUT”.

Leigh Kettle

Brilliant Jin thank you 

I usually do tell myself this cue so will reinforce it even more now 

many thanks

Leigh Kettle

As I said above,  in my training  I’ve been staying on one block under the instructor of @Alessandro Mainente 

You mentioned Alex to stay on one block until I reach the floor - I’m getting ever closer and feel it getting better each week

I always set myself small achievable goals so hoping soon I’ll be showing you me chest to floor on one block 

A187858F-232F-44F9-A010-3C32B3BF208D.png

EEA4EAA2-B144-43AF-8864-46206A38E70C.png