Too many static holds?

Started by Pablo585, March 1, 2010 · 2 Replies · 2,394 Views

Pablo585

Hi,

I am new here and have a couple questions.

How many and how often can I do static holds and keep progressing with them? Because I want to follow killroy's program, but for some reason it seems like I would be practicing too many static holds at once to progress on all of them (BL, FL, PL, handstands, and i would add 3x10sec of ring supports).

And it was recommended to me to keep deadlifting in my program. Following killroy's program, do you think 5x5 deadlifts would be safe to add on mondays and thursdays? I also have track practice (sprinting) after school and we aren't doing lifting but I think that would cover me on other days.

Blairbob

5x5 DL 2x a week?

How many days a week are you sprinting? If you can, I would allow as much as rest as possible between the sprinting and your gymnastic/DL workouts.

Static volume will differ based on the individual.

Given the fact that you are young, who knows.

Pablo585

Yes, 5x5 deadlift 2x a week. I am following Pavel's idea here: first set, lift with your 6rm, then the sets after it, lift 85% of your 6rm. I have tried it in the past and it really doesn't tire my legs that much, and he reccomends doing more than five sets, so it will all depend.

For track, I at least sprint small amounts every day. It all depends on what the coach wants the rest of the time. Sometimes (for the 400m runners) it's go run 1.5 miles, other times it's run 2x200m, 300m, and 160m.

I don't know how else to space out my workouts, track is everyday after school until 5, and then I do homework and eat dinner. Probably sometime between 7 and 8 would be my workout time. And after that, I would have to wind down for bed. This is the best way I can space out and give myself time for rest.