This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

When to click the "Easy" smiley?

Started by Matthias Schwartz, June 9, 2017 · 26 Replies · 579 Views

Josh Earl
28 minutes ago, Matthias Schwartz said:

Thanks @Josh Earl, that was exactly what I needed. I read that a year ago but didn't really absorb it when I started out, so it's great to read it again! The tidbit about the 3x10s not being comfortable is gold. I wasn't sure whether his stance was to workout at a sub-maximal or maximal effort for results. I see he tends toward the maximal, which makes me feel better about doing that as well, as that is generally what I'd prefer. Thanks again!

There is a lot of good guidance tucked away in those materials—it's easy to overlook them because the videos are much more prominent. 

Glad that helped!

Marc Corlett

Good input on this thread, and thanks @Josh Earl for the reminder of those essays. I had read them before but re-reading them was useful. Some of them could be updated as they seem to refer to a format that doesn't reflect the current Foundations, but there's lots of great nuggets of info in them still. I have had the same question in my mind about when to click "easy", and really questioned whether I had clicked too early when I also had difficulty in HBP/PE2 going from step 4 (4x6r) to step 5 (4x9r). Step 5 is a 50% increase over step 4 that I couldn't get close to, so I ended up adding my own micro step to build to step 5 by simply adding an additional set (5x6r) until I found that comfortable and am now on step 5 (4x9r). I haven't completed step 5 yet...I need a bit more rest before the last set and my form suffers a little on that last set, too, but I think I'm getting there.

I am also on RC/PE2 step 4 (4x6r) and notice that step 5 has a similar 50% jump to 4x9r, so I'm expecting I'll need to add a set to step 4 (5x6r) before being able to proceed to step 5.