Hello
I just started the pe2 today and I would like to have some feedback. Obviously I need more compression, should I perhaps work on holds of the top position?
PEhttps://youtu.be/kgN040mYPaA
imhttps://youtu.be/BMRlJlR1vV4
Thanks
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Johan Tideland, May 16, 2017 · 27 Replies · 483 Views
Hello
I just started the pe2 today and I would like to have some feedback. Obviously I need more compression, should I perhaps work on holds of the top position?
PEhttps://youtu.be/kgN040mYPaA
imhttps://youtu.be/BMRlJlR1vV4
Thanks
Nice work, Johan.
Both PE and iM are looking good. Just make sure your knees are locked
Hey Johan, optimal execution for major carryover on the following elements you need more compression. During the jefferson curl, you need to remember to pull the weight as much close to the legs as soon as possible during both ascent and descent portion of the movement.
Thanks for the feedback @Alessandro Mainente and @Pauline Taube, this was just my first training session on this progression, I will implement your suggestions and work on my compression. I will post a new vid of my jefferson curls after my next session. I believe that this will improve as the weeks pass by.
Johan
Here is my latest attempt at the im, I try to focus on having the weight close to my legs. I know I have more work to do but is this a better form?
Thanks
Nice improvement, Johan. Keep working on curling the lower thoracic and lumber spine even more as you do this movement. Try to move each vertebra one at a time.
Hi everyone
Thanks for all the good feedback. I have a few questions that I feel I need to ask still.
As @Pauline Taube mentioned, my knees do not look like they are 100% locked on the PE when you see the video, but when I do the straddle ups it feels and looks from my point of view that they are locked. And believe me I am squeezing my quads for all that I am worth but as you say my knees do not look completely locked. How do I solve this? do I just continue doing the PE on step1 until it improves? should I practice the top position of the PE more and concentrate hard on locking my knees? or something else? In the end of the video of the PE I show how my legs look like when my knees are completely locked for comparison with the PE.
About the im, I feel like it will take a while before this improves a lot so I guess I should just take my time with it. However I wonder if I should stay with this weight until the im becomes better or could it be beneficial to increase it a tad bit? right now its quite light, 1,5kg only and it feels good to do the JC.
Here are 2 videos from today's workout, I expect that not much has changed from the last one thought.
PEhttps://youtu.be/Vc0QfOjG5aA
imhttps://youtu.be/2Z_5_ZzWhm8
Cheers
Johan
Hi Johan,
The PE video is set private and it wont open.
Nice work on IM, and yes the PE does not open.
Ah, I must have made the video private by mistake. Now it should work.
PEhttps://youtu.be/Vc0QfOjG5aA
I will quote my question on the PE here
" As Pauline mentioned, my knees do not look like they are 100% locked on the PE when you see the video, but when I do the straddle ups it feels and looks from my point of view that they are locked. And believe me I am squeezing my quads for all that I am worth but as you say my knees do not look completely locked. How do I solve this? do I just continue doing the PE on step1 until it improves? should I practice the top position of the PE more and concentrate hard on locking my knees? or something else? In the end of the video of the PE I show how my legs look like when my knees are completely locked for comparison with the PE."
Johan
Hi Johan,
Nice work on these. You can add a set of the tuck ups to your warmup, but I do recommend to continue working on your straddle ups in order to improve them. You can spend some time in the top position, focusing on keeping your back straight and avoid letting your chest cave in too much. Also focus on pulling your legs closer to your body for better compression during the hold. While still working on your flexibility these will improve
I will work on this, thanks!
How is this looking?
My guess is that not a lot has changed, I think I will be working on this for quite some time.
On the im I am using a 4kg weight, my back feels fine but I feel a lot of tension at the intersection between my calves and hamstrings, not painful but tight as hell.
PE
im
Thanks
Johan
Hi @Johan Tideland,
Nice effort. You need to keep working on this. My suggestion is to work on your Front Split and Middle Split to hasten your progress here. Please consider on getting the stretch courses. Good attitude on refining the movement. Mobility will take time. As Pauline said, use your tuck ups as warm up and also the windmills.
Thanks Leo, I will keep working on this, I have all the stretch series and I do them every week.
Hi
I have been working on this progression for quite some time, doing only 3x3 reps because my compression is still not good enough to move further. My PE1 has been approved by the forum coaches though.
I do all the stretch series one per week and have been doing so for well over a year, I do daily lighter pike and pancake stretches as well as daily reps of the straddle ups+ a top hold. I also do pike and pancake pulses daily 10r. My Jefferson curls are improving nicely and they feel good.
But I have this nagging feeling in the back of my head that perhaps I am spinning my wheels with this exercise, perhaps I have not fully mastered the PE1 yet and that could be the reason why I am not seeing any improvement here or it might be something else.
My own assessment of the situation is that my PE1 is good enough (it could always improve of course) but I seem to lack the passive flexibility to do the straddle ups witch would be a pancake with the chest closer to the floor and I will keep spinning my wheels until my pancake improves further.
I submit a series of videos of the above mentioned exercises so that you can make a full assessment of my situation.
From today: PE2 https://youtu.be/6Dz4ajIdmx8
Jefferson curls https://youtu.be/h-yceJa3YY4
PE1 https://youtu.be/IkUw5B3OYas
Windmills https://youtu.be/m1wBLOnYhsA
Pancake flexibility+compression https://youtu.be/u0MNf__IDnA
Worth to note is that my pike and pancake passive stretch and compression is not very good, it is however improving. A bit more than 2 years ago I suffered a herniated disc in my lower back and it took over a year to heal. I am now fully recovered and feel no pain at all, but the back problems caused all muscles around my core to become very tight and in the the start of my gymnasticbodies journey I had horrible mobility, I could barely reach past my knees for example. Slowly I have regained lost mobility and started to reach further than I ever have in my entire life, my back also feels great, no doubt in a big part due to the gymnasticbodies training.
My point with the above paragraph is that my back problems+ the fact that I never worked on any mobility in my entire life before gymnasticbodies has caused me to become tight and therefore it might not be strange that mobility gains are slow and at times feel non existent. Perhaps I just need to suck it up a bit more and just keep grinding away.
I greatly appreciate feedback
Johan
Hi @Johan Tideland,
Nice work. Keep using your tuck ups as warmup. For your jefferson curls, you need to tuck your chin more before rolling down and go slower as you go back up. In my personal opinion, the straddle up needs work but you can move forward and use it as part of the warmup too. (as you improve your compression, it will get better) Your pancake definitely needs to be elevated for now to maximize your gains. As for the windmill, aside from continuing doing it as a warm up, try to increase your range of motion by reaching further in between your legs as you go down. Also don forget to fully rotate the shoulder socket as you go down. I hope this helps.
Thanks Leo!
I will work on the things you suggested![]()
I have been working on this, trying to improve.
How does it look?
I still have a fair bit to go, my im weight is 10kg now.
PEhttps://youtu.be/YAvuNHwsNqI
imhttps://youtu.be/OtnN4TJ5Ra8
Cheers
Nice Improvements, the PE 2 it is better if you can add a bit more of compression.
On the IM 4-5 cm more for the range of motion.
Thanks @Alessandro Mainente!
I will keep working on it.
Is it alright for me to move further along than step1 (3x3reps) now? or should I wait until ROM is good enough for mastery?
Ideally yes.
Hello
I feel like I just keep doing these two exercises forever and ever and it is always the same, lack of compression, but after looking on the videos of my first post I can actually see quite a remarkable improvement.
Here is today
PE
im
Bumping this again with today's workout
PEhttps://youtu.be/hVkuugXrThE
imhttps://youtu.be/YqnQU-_eozs
Thanks
HI Johan, the Pe is ok, for the IM you need to continue until you pass the toes with the wrists.