This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

PE3 Full Squat issues

Started by Darren Rousar, May 11, 2017 · 5 Replies · 209 Views

Darren Rousar

Two issues actually.

1. I can only manage these without falling backwards by gently holding onto a support joist in my basement. I make sure to not use the support for lowering or raising, just for stability. Without it, I fall backwards when I get  just past parallel to the floor with my thighs. In analyzing my movements, I think the trouble is my ankles (no pain, but they don't seem to bend enough to get my knees far enough forward. In the previous squat progression I could get to parallel without falling backwards about 75% of the time. So, is my support cheat ok?

2. I noticed in the previous squat progression as well that as I descended my feet would rotate laterally out on their own. I can focus on keeping them parallel to each other, but that greatly diminishes the depth I can attain. Now, in PE3, the same unintentional rotation happens. Does this matter?

Pauline Taube

Hi Darren,

Thank you for reaching out.

Could you please submit a form check of PE2 and PE3 and include the iMs?

Darren Rousar

Will do, this weekend.
Thanks.

Darren Rousar

Form checks uploaded here.
Thanks.

Everett Carroll

Hi Darren, 

I have added comments to your form check submission. 

Your first question is answered there and, to answer your second question, your ideal foot position and stance width in the squat simply depends on what allows you to get the deepest. Find a stance that works best for your anatomy by taking the path of least resistance. If your squat feels more natural with your feet turned out slightly, then do that. 

 

Darren Rousar

Thanks. Good to know about the foot position too.