This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SL PE11 Windshield

Started by Jin Liu, May 1, 2017 · 26 Replies · 364 Views

Jin Liu

Woowoo, i know this is nothing compared to the mastery, but this is the first time I felt ease in completing 4 reps with relatively ok form (i know i'm not on stall bar). I don't have access to stall bar easily, and I've only had the chance to do it once on the stall bar the week before. And boom, it made the free hanging version so much easier already! This one is a monster compare to the previous element. I feel i have the right to brag my small wins. Second video is the stall bar version, just for your amusement...

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Jin, unfortunately, the stall bar variation it is what I consider a mastery work. also during the small bar work you need to fully compress the lower limbs to the stall bar before descending to the side. Keep the legs together.

The bar work uses too much the lats and the consequence it is more arm adduction and less compression.

Jin Liu
12 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Jin, unfortunately, the stall bar variation it is what I consider a mastery work. also during the small bar work you need to fully compress the lower limbs to the stall bar before descending to the side. Keep the legs together.

The bar work uses too much the lats and the consequence it is more arm adduction and less compression.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll work on it hard. Wish i get my won stall bar soon!

Petri Widsten
32 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Jin, unfortunately, the stall bar variation it is what I consider a mastery work. also during the small bar work you need to fully compress the lower limbs to the stall bar before descending to the side. Keep the legs together.

The bar work uses too much the lats and the consequence it is more arm adduction and less compression.

Hi Alessandro

I have put WWs on hold until I've mastered MN/PE7 because I don't think it's realistic to expect progress on stall bar WWs without good compression on MN/PE7 which is easier. What do you think of this strategy?

Jin Liu
26 minutes ago, Petri Widsten said:

Hi Alessandro

I have put WWs on hold until I've mastered MN/PE7 because I don't think it's realistic to expect progress on stall bar WWs without good compression on MN/PE7 which is easier. What do you think of this strategy?

I personally think one should master all the way through MN PE9 (L to V) to feel relative ease to train WW. I'm not there obviously. But I still do it once in a while as I feel there's still benefit. 

Alessandro Mainente
16 hours ago, Petri Widsten said:

Hi Alessandro

I have put WWs on hold until I've mastered MN/PE7 because I don't think it's realistic to expect progress on stall bar WWs without good compression on MN/PE7 which is easier. What do you think of this strategy?

 

good idea here!

Jin Liu

Question: why can't my feet stay closed when legs swiped to my right? The video is showing two separate sets, and I started from a different side in each set. The bottom right side has consistently been more of a problem (if you check my old vids, same thing): my left leg can't drop as low as my right one. 

I injured my left hamstring a little over a year ago. It is tighter than the right side. However, it seems like there's something in my back that's pulling the left leg. I'm not sure what's causing the problem, and how to fix it..

 

Nicholas Murray
Quote

 

You're still a beast :)

I noticed that you press your lips together HARD when your legs are swiped to the right. It seems as if it's a much more difficult movement. Does the pulling thing in your left back affect the bent hurdler stretch?

Jin Liu
2 hours ago, Nicholas Murray said:

You're still a beast :)

I noticed that you press your lips together HARD when your legs are swiped to the right. It seems as if it's a much more difficult movement. Does the pulling thing in your left back affect the bent hurdler stretch?

Thx!! :)

I don't feel any uncomfortable pulling in either side of the back when doing the mobility. That's why I never thought my back could be an issue until yesterday when I tried darn hard to close my legs. If i feel pain in the left hamstring, I'd know it right away. But instead I felt my back was tight... 

Alessandro Mainente

Hei Jin it is a problem oh spine rotation deficit, the rotation comes from the middle back and not from the lumbar part. do you have some stretch course? I can suggest you what to practice daily.

Jin Liu
12 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hei Jin it is a problem oh spine rotation deficit, the rotation comes from the middle back and not from the lumbar part. do you have some stretch course? I can suggest you what to practice daily.

I don't, but my husband does! I can bribe/beg/force (whatever it takes) him to log in and show me the stretch courses. Please tell meee. Thank you so much!!

Suzanna McGee
1 hour ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hei Jin it is a problem oh spine rotation deficit, the rotation comes from the middle back and not from the lumbar part. do you have some stretch course? I can suggest you what to practice daily.

I'd love to hear too! This windshield wiper is my next step and I already know I have spine rotation deficit on the left side. I could start working on it already now so it gets better until I jump on these wipers. (PS I have all stretch courses)

Alessandro Mainente

I also need to know how it is your bridge.

for now a daily work on TBSSE6 it is suggested.

Suzanna McGee

@Alessandro Mainente, I know this is Jin's thread (and I apologized to her privately that I am piggybacking on your advice here), but I have the same issues. So if you please could help me as well…  My bridge is bellow. I still need to use the band go get myself up, but I can hold it 60s, and do the hip-taps and push-ups. Still need more work to get my arms vertical and chest more out. This is pretty much what I can do now (a month ago). Also, only TBSSE6 or also TBSSE7? 

 

Thoracic bridge April 30.JPG

Jin Liu

Haha, I don't mind. I haven't done any T bridge in a long time, cuz I don't think I ever did it correctly. I arch the lumbar rather than the T spine. You can tell from the two videos below. Skip ahead if it gets too boring..

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

That confirms my hypothesis, a loss of spine extension will results in a loss of ability of spine rotation, the two things are connected, as your bridge will improve, your spine will have a more twisting range of motion.

Jin Liu
3 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

That confirms my hypothesis, a loss of spine extension will results in a loss of ability of spine rotation, the two things are connected, as your bridge will improve, your spine will have a more twisting range of motion.

It totally makes sense, and i never thought about it. I quit practicing bridge thinking i don't really need it. How dumb! Thanks @Alessandro Mainente! It's always a pleasure to learn new things :)

John Kiggundu
On June 2, 2017 at 0:37 PM, Jin Liu said:

It totally makes sense, and i never thought about it. I quit practicing bridge thinking i don't really need it. How dumb! Thanks @Alessandro Mainente! It's always a pleasure to learn new things :)

Great to know. I need to stop slacking off TBS, now that I know it has implications on my side lever training.

Jin Liu

Slight improvement, yay! Still a long way to go, but not hopeless. At this point it's as much mental as physical. The TBS stretch does help!

 

Nicholas Murray

Looking good Jin! Not sure what word comes after "beast" :)

Alessandro Mainente

Generally speaking, I prefer the hips closer to the small bar and the feet always closer to the stall bar when you move them from left to right and vice versa.

Jin Liu
21 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Generally speaking, I prefer the hips closer to the small bar and the feet always closer to the stall bar when you move them from left to right and vice versa.

Thanks Alessandro! I prefer that way too. For now the compression is still lacking, in all directions. I guess it will come with improved flexibility? That'll probably take some time.. Any tips to accelerate the process are greatly appreciated. :)

Jin Liu
8 hours ago, Nicholas Murray said:

Looking good Jin! Not sure what word comes after "beast" :)

LOL, should've saved the b word to the day when i can perform 10 reps with perfect form :P

Jin Liu

I'm happy that I can finally do 4sets of 6reps. But I'm still not entirely happy with the compression on the sides. Any tips please? Any supplemental work I can to to improve it? Much appreciated!!

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Jin you can increase the hands' distance so that it is harder to use the lats.