This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Starting Foundation 1

Started by Tobias Karlsson, April 28, 2017 · 64 Replies · 2,010 Views

Everett Carroll

Sounds like you're on the right track @Tobias Karlsson. Please keep us updated with form checks, questions, etc. Keep it up!

Tobias Karlsson

The training is progressing nicely. I am putting most focus into my push-ups and ground rows. Still working on PPT. The push-ups are feeling nice and easy. I think that my control over quads and glutes are soon automatic. 

 

The ground rows also feel more solid. I try to really push my lower rips down (great tip) and it feels more solid. Still need a lot more strength. It is a bit funny that I have done lots of weighted chins before but this is still very difficult even with few reps.

 

 

As always very happy for any feedback! 

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Tobias Karlsson,

As for your pushups, you need a solid body line. Your middle back to lower back is sagging at the bottom of your pushups. Make sure you practice with your incline pushups and mind the bodyline when warming it up before doing your pushups. It will greatly help your body alignment. 

Your ground rows are looking good. Just make sure to make every rep consistent. Keep working on it. :)

Tobias Karlsson

I am continuing to work on my push ups. This is iteration 4 of the improvements. It feels much better now and in this video I think that the 3:rd rep is the most correct one.

 

As always very happy for feedback :-)

Everett Carroll

Hey Tobias,

These are coming along nicely. Now focus on pressing your hips towards the floor, so that you feel your hips touch just before your chest. 

At the top, protract even more. Think of pressing your chest as far away from the floor as possible!

Keep it up. 

Tobias Karlsson

This is my latest attempt. I have focused much more on keeping the hips down and doing maximum protraction. I think I miss it a bit in some reps. But in most it is my maximum.

 

 

Pauline Taube

Very nice improvement, Tobias!

Tobias Karlsson

Thanks alot. It really feels a lot better

Tobias Karlsson

I finally got to a new exercise. One arm plank, this is how it looks currently. It feels rather stable, it takes a bit of time to get into the pose.

Any thing I should modify?

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Tobias Karlsson,

Eliminate those 'micro'/little movements and make sure to always keep your maximum protraction. Not bad for the first try. Keep working on it. :)

Tobias Karlsson

Got a F3u (upper body) in to day and a H1. Felt good.

 

Here is an example of my Xiaopeng. Am I doing them correctly?

 

 

Everett Carroll

Nice work Tobias. Looks good.

Tobias Karlsson

F3 today. Feeling more and more stabile

 

Tobias Karlsson

Core F3 today. Kind of stuck at the moment. Hope to see some progress soon,.

Tobias Karlsson

Today was a big day. Two no progressions for my upperbody

 

The first is pseudo push-up 

 

And the other new exercise was the planch lean. Very tough exercise at the moment, so my form breaks down in the end.I did two sets after this one and the control in those felt better.

 

Tobias Karlsson

Here is the video of my planch.
Any advice is appreciated. 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hey Tobias,

As you lean, you are losing protraction. You are also not hitting strong PPT. Try to hit a stronger protraction while your knees are still on the ground. As you straighten your legs, work on engaging your gluts and pushing your hips towards the floor to help hit PPT.

Tobias Karlsson

Thanks for the advice will work on it!

Tobias Karlsson

I have continued to work on it. Hopefully it is a bit better now...

 

 

Everett Carroll

Hey Tobias,

I'm still seeing the same issues that Jeffrey mentioned. There's improvement, but I think revisiting the previous progression and working on the cues Leo suggest (especially strong protraction) will help you tremendously. Please post a single arm plank follow-up when you're ready. Also, shirtless is ideal; it really helps us see.

Tobias Karlsson

 

Here is a single arm plank :-)

 

Everett Carroll

Hey Tobias,

I recommend continuing returning to single arm planks for a while to work on:

1. More protraction

2. Moving your feet to approximately hip width.

3. Maintaining strong core and glute engagement.

4. Straight knees (hard to tell from this video). Just a general reminder. 

 

Feel free to work on a practice set or two of planche lean after your single-arm plank sets. 

Tobias Karlsson

Thanks for the advice. Here are the other things I am working on now. Any thing I need to improve. The stradle hold and the arch up feels quite good. I surely lack some flexibility for the v-ups

 

 

 

 

 

 

As always very thankful for any advice. I really want to improve :)

Everett Carroll

Hey Tobias,

For FL/PE3, nice back position. Just lower your feet slightly; they should be just off the ground.

For SL/PE4, work to keep your elbows pulled back behind your ears the entire time. Also continue to arch higher at the top of each rep.

Pretty nice V-ups! A little more compression (reach past your toes) and tension in the legs (toes pointed, quads engaged) and you're there!

Tobias Karlsson

Im continuing to work on them and will update soon. I have one quick question. for the arch up should the body be horizontal or is it OK for it to be around 45 degrees titled. We have a machine in the gym that would make it easier and it has more of a tilt. It looks like it would give around the same tilt as in the video that wes shows.