Hello,
My story is far from original but my situation has had many Physical Therapists scratching their head. I'm a life long athlete, I've trained in everything from Martial Arts, Basketball, Football, Body weight Training, Powerlifting, Cycling Racing (bicycle), and other sports. I'm 29 years old and the lack of knowledge and respect for the biology and science behind the human physiology has left my body crippled for the past two years. I've always been the young bull, typical "no pain no gain" and I never had the necessary respect for "easing" into training, I went full gas and expected positive results.
Throughout 2016 I battled with tendinitis in both of my knees, it came in waves, some days I couldn't walk, then I would be fine for months until again I'd be crippled for 2-3 days not being able to get out of bed. The end result was arthroscopic surgery on both knees last summer to repair meniscus damage that was causing locking in my left knee and extreme pain in the right. Fast forward to Oct. of 2016 when I made near full recovery from the two surgeries only to be brought down with an extreme case of tendinitis in both knees as well as tennis elbow (tendons) in both elbows. I basically wasn't able to activate my quadriceps muscles between Nov. 2016 and Feb. 2017 because of the sheer pain it placed on the patella tendon. As you'd imagine this caused extreme atrophy on both of my legs. I was stuck in my house not able to leave because the stair case outside was too challenging, dealing with any day-to-day activities at home was a nightmare. I wasn't able to bend my knees for months while in bed. My doctor told me "it'll take about 6 months for it to heal, nothing else can be done beside physical therapy".
Since I was unable to train my body for those 6 months because of the tendon injuries, I focused instead on educating myself on the topic of Physical Therapy, mobility, strength training, proper biomechanial movements, healthy dieting to alleviate inflammation, etc. I made myself the promise that I never want to deal with that kind of pain again and I'll do everything in my power to rebuild my body and transform myself into a healthier athlete. I've had pretty incredible progress since Feb. because of that commitment but walking down the stairs is still a challenge and I'm still dealing with pain whenever I make unstable movements or go to extreme loads because the muscles are still in a weakened/damaged state. I'm extremely optimistic about my healing long term, with that said, I know that I have many tendons in my body that are compromised: knees, elbows, hands, wrists, forearms, and possibly in my back. Some have improved, like the elbows, and others have been flaring up, like my hands and wrists. I've been on disability since October, the story is much more complicated and deeper but I'd hate to make you guys read a wall of text.
My question is: Any there ANYTHING you can recommend for me to continue moving in the right direction and also would sighning up for the Fundamentals & Foundation 1 courses accelerate my healing as well as helping keeping them from flaring up again or would I need to first figure out a solution that works and then return to your courses when my body is fulled healed?
I really need to figure this out, I can't live the rest of my life in this state.
Thank you in advance,
-Mike