This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

GST is awesome, is there an equivalent programme for endurance training?

Started by Enzo Vullo, April 4, 2017 · 31 Replies · 883 Views

Samuel Tanner
1 hour ago, Janno Rillo said:

Running 5x per week sounds more like a runners training which is supported by GB, not the other way around. This combo definitely requires some serious dedication, lots of free time and certain level of fitness. The whole idea of training is to stimulate your body to adapt to specific stresses. If you do strength training, then you get stronger, if you run, then you get better at running. If you spend more time on running than doing GB, then most probably your body adapts more to running specifics and less to GB, which in some context might have reverse effect. You have to make a compromise here, because it's not very likely that you make good progress on both.

I agree, but the original question was about progressions for endurance. You will have read in my post (in bold) that running 5x per week would negatively affect your GST.

If you want to progress in running then that is an established step by step route but phase 2, running 5k three times per week, would fit with Coach Sommer's suggestions for GST athletes once they are adapted to the workload of the Foundation and Handstand work.

Samuel Tanner
On 07/01/2018 at 4:51 PM, Michael Vetter said:

Nice, thanks.

@Samuel Tanner do you have the links?

The two GB blog posts:

  1. https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/ditch-treadmill-cardio-made-simple/
  2. https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/running-learn-to-love-it/

Forum posts where Coach Sommer suggests running 3-5 miles 2-3 times per week + 400m sprints based on the Chinese gymnastics team training:

 suggesting beginners/intermediate athletes performing '5-10' of cardio in the warmup for activation and specific 45-50 mt sprints for vault work.' that Coach Sommer agreed with. 

Here is a simple beginner schedule to get you running 3.1 miles: https://www.runnersworld.co.uk/training/six-week-beginner-5k-schedule

Let me know your progress!

Sam

 

Étienne Lajeunesse
4 hours ago, Samuel Tanner said:

The two GB blog posts:

  1. https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/ditch-treadmill-cardio-made-simple/
  2. https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/running-learn-to-love-it/

Forum posts where Coach Sommer suggests running 3-5 miles 2-3 times per week + 400m sprints based on the Chinese gymnastics team training:

 suggesting beginners/intermediate athletes performing '5-10' of cardio in the warmup for activation and specific 45-50 mt sprints for vault work.' that Coach Sommer agreed with. 

Here is a simple beginner schedule to get you running 3.1 miles: https://www.runnersworld.co.uk/training/six-week-beginner-5k-schedule

Let me know your progress!

Sam

 

That's interesting... I never looked at cardio training these ways.  Do you guys individualize your trainings or you just pick something already made?

Michael Vetter

Thanks a lot @Samuel Tanner!!

Samuel Tanner
On 09/01/2018 at 5:21 PM, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

That's interesting... I never looked at cardio training these ways.  Do you guys individualize your trainings or you just pick something already made?

When my main focus is running or cycling I will follow a plan with some personalisation but now I am focusing on GB programming I am loosely following a Jack Daniel's programme but staying under 15 miles per week and focusing on staying aerobic. I try to add strides to my runs too. 

@Étienne Lajeunesse do you run much?

Étienne Lajeunesse
1 hour ago, Samuel Tanner said:

 

@Étienne Lajeunesse do you run much?

Hey Samuel,

Not really, but I lack of cardio training.  By seeing this thread, it reminded me I had to restart.  In fact, I only do jump rope for warm-up.

I just wanted to know how you all managed your cardio?

Paul Bassett

Hello all,

I would look at the work of Phil Maffetone.  He's basically a pioneer in building aerobic endurance in a slow, methodical and measurable way.  I've used it and can attest to it's power, but importantly Mark Allen and Mike Pigg used it.