How Many Times Can I Train The Static Hold?

Started by Bob Sanders, February 18, 2010 · 9 Replies · 6,513 Views

Bob Sanders

My main and major focus is on the planche right now. I want to go for the straddle planche. But I find I have not the strengtth yet to do so.

So I wanted to work more on the planche thru the weeks. SO will training 2 to 3 times a week on the planche static hold help me progress faster or will once a week is better?

Blairbob

Yes, 2-3x a week is definitely doable and will help you more than 1x a week.

So long as it doesn't burn you out. Depends on what you are doing.

mike.m

I've heard that training static holds for more than a month screws up the central nervous system. Is that true and If it is why ?

Blairbob

Interesting comment but it lacks the data of how often and how much per day and week. I imagine that it could be with the right variables just like any overtraining as FSP can hit the CNS pretty hard.

Coach Sommer
mike.me said:
I've heard that training static holds for more than a month screws up the central nervous system. Is that true and If it is why ?

No, this has no basis in fact; otherwise competitive gymnasts would all possess totally disfunctional central nervous systems.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

mike.m
Coach Sommer said:
mike.me said:
I've heard that training static holds for more than a month screws up the central nervous system. Is that true and If it is why ?

No, this has no basis in fact; otherwise competitive gymnasts would all possess totally disfunctional central nervous systems.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I generally hear this from MMa guys so maybe it only applies to them.

Blairbob

Gymnasts should be highly adapted to static holds while more than likely most MMA guys are not. Thus it's more taxing.

Coach Sommer
Gymnasts should be highly adapted to static holds while more than likely most MMA guys are not. Thus it's more taxing.

It sounds as though they are engaging in "straining, rather than training"; and failing to allow their bodies sufficient time to adapt by improperly programming their static hold work.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Razz

It's all individual and you have to feel your body's reaction and learn what's best for you that's the only answer. If you burn out and lose strength you need to work less, if you improve faster you are probably doing it right.

Longshanks
Coach Sommer said:
Gymnasts should be highly adapted to static holds while more than likely most MMA guys are not. Thus it's more taxing.

It sounds as though they are engaging in "straining, rather than training"; and failing to allow their bodies sufficient time to adapt by improperly programming their static hold work.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Yea I'll be the first to admit it's easy to get carried away and not realise you are doing too much. I think it seems to be a universal stigma in fighting disciplines that you have to train till you can't move any more.. then train some more. This obviously doesn't apply to strength training. When I first started my first cycle I didn't quite twig onto to 50% of max hold time principal and ended up doing them for too long and actually lost strength in that first cycle. Less really is more in this case.