Hello all,
My name is Nas, been lurking this forum for a couple of weeks now just reading up on whatever I can about gymnastics and strength training. I am 22, 5'10, 185-190lbs, this is not my first fitness endevour, i have been consistantly in the gym for about 4 years. I have also done all sorts of training styles and I find that I enjoyed Olympic lifting and Powerlifting the most. Due to those I feel that I have a decent strength base built up to a 80kg Snatch, 100kg Clean and Jerk, a personal best 500lb deadlift and 405lb squat.
What got me into the entire gymnastics thing is the fact that I will be going away to Europe and the Middle East for a few months travelling between countries without the convience of having a gym always there. I have done basic calisthenics but I do not feel that just push-ups and pull-ups will suffice (not to mention eventually bore me). I have a small set-up going at home, with Rings hanging from my ceiling, some PVC parallettes (although I am planning on builing some sturdier ones out of wood and steel). Soon to be equipment, I plan on building both a Mushroom and some stall bars.
Well playing around on the rings and parallettes has shown me that my "decent" base is really pretty cruddy. Here is a list of my goals short-term and long-term:
Short-term:
1. Build a higher work capacity
2. Muscle-ups
3. Front and back levers
4. Unsupported Handstands
5. Greatly increase flexibility, as I currently as stiff as a rock
Long-term:
1. Iron Cross
2. Planche
Goals will obviously be adjusted in time as I see where this goes.
Cheers,
Nas