Rope Climbing&WOD,Strength or Endurance?

Started by colcio, February 15, 2010 · 7 Replies · 3,668 Views

colcio

Hi Few questions

1-Where do I place my rope climbing in my strength routine? If the strength routine is suposed to be 1-5 reps ,where does the rope climbing fit in? One climb 5m rope must be more than 5 reps, It seems to be more like 15 reps. I weighed my climbes with some weight but it seems to be endurance work. Should I climb half a rope with bigger weights? Or maybe you gymnasts don't climb the rope when you're in the phase of building pure strength, or you do one or more sessions a week working on endurance and this is where you add your climbing?

2-This is my simplified WOD, I perform it once a week. My question is,is it endurance work or strength work?

I understand that single movements are strenght movements, but after doing the whole thing I feel like I worked on my upper body endurance, maybe I should implement rope climbing after doing this WOD?

L-MUP,Skin the cat,M-up,L-seat,FL(tucked),M-up,Support,3xBulgarian dip,3xHLR.

Thanks

Nick Van Bockxmeer

my understanding is that the rope climbing is used mainly for speed and from what I can recall in the WODs is usually placed with dynamic pulling exercises such clap pull ups and pull overs.

Cirques as described in coaches essay are a maximal strength element focusing on the negative one arm chin.

So to answer you question, I think it is used as more of a power and endurance exercise. It is possible to train as pure strength but I think the main purpose is to emphasise the speed of the climb.

Coach Sommer
nickvb said:
my understanding is that the rope climbing is used mainly for speed ...

Rope climbing is also excellent for building strength; especially when performed with 40-70lbs of extra weight, however you first have to be strong enough to profit from them 8).

Placing rope climbs after your ring strength series work is an excellent idea and one that I use quite often with my own athletes.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

gymrob

Colcio,

Whether rope climbing targets strength or endurance is athlete dependent. A relatively new trainee with a lower training age may find this is maximal strength work compared to a higher qualified athlete who may be targetting strength-endurance.

Where to place rope climbing in a workout depends on how you prioritise it. If you place it at the beginning you will receive the most benefit from it.

Hope this helps,

Rob.

colcio

Thanks Coach, Thanks everyone.

colcio
Coach Sommer said:
nickvb said:
my understanding is that the rope climbing is used mainly for speed ...

Rope climbing is also excellent for building strength; especially when performed with 40-70lbs of extra weight, however you first have to be strong enough to profit from them 8).

Placing rope climbs after your ring strength series work is an excellent idea and one that I use quite often with my own athletes.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Hi Coach

One question, If I include weighted rope climbing in my strength routine , should I climb half the rope to reduce amount of reps or climb the whole 5m, even whan I do my 5x5 or 3x3 routine?, for example :

Weighted pull ups - Weighted dips 5x5

Weighted rope climb- Hspu 5x5

Here I'm confused,would the rope climb fit into this routine or not, The Climb would me more than 5 reps Wouldn't it? or it doesn't matter in this case?

Thanks

Coach Sommer

Rope climbing is not appropriate for a workout emphasizing low reps.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Julekman

In kickboxing and karate classes, we often do rope climbing at the end of class, as a finisher.

Colcio, you are very close to overanalysis. What is the purpose of rope climbing if you go only half way or 5 reps (unless if you are not strong enough to go higher). Read the answers again, and just do it, dont think about what kind of strenght you are working on. And follow WODs. I did.