This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Modification for SPl PE 1

Started by Ryan Segervall, March 10, 2017 · 51 Replies · 767 Views

Everett Carroll
16 hours ago, Ryan Segervall said:

Also I notice that when I retract my scaps tend to shrug upwards into elevation at the bottom of the rep, is this okay for now? Or should I regress way back and build up without any elevation at the bottom of the rep? (I vaguely remember this being okay and that later progressions would take care of this, just wanted to clarify)   

Looks good to me Ryan! You're spot on about the elevation but it's always worth working for more depression now. Just don't be overly concerned about it at this stage. 

14 hours ago, Ryan Segervall said:

Also what are your thoughts about regressing the movement entirely to a incline scap pushup? This would be a friendly place to begin reintroducing straight arm strength for the elbows before getting on the floor. 

Excellent idea. If your elbow is ready for it, that would be my best recommendation. It will be easier to maintain depression with straight arms too, so another bonus!

Ryan Segervall

@Everett Carroll

Im going to shift gears and move to the elevated scap pushup. I think this will benefit me in multiple ways 1) being beneficial for my elbows as a safe introduction to straight arm strength 2) will have better form with my scapular depression which in the end is going to help develop proper motor patterns 

 

Will check back in next week with a form check 

 

Thanks as always!

Ryan Segervall

@Everett Carroll Did some practice reps today after my middle split session and thought I would check in for a form check. Elbows were able to tolerate this without any issues and was able to retract without elevating more consistently. one thing I did notice was that it was slightly difficult to keep elbow pits facing forward and elbows locked throughout the ROM, but this will improve with time as I get better at the movement. 

Everett Carroll

I like them, Ryan. Next, try to post a video of a top angle so we can see the scaps. 

Ryan Segervall

 

- i will get a shot from the top so you can see the motion of my scaps. This is footage form today 4x9 and felt good. Some reps have more elevation than other but for the most part I am happy with me decision to regress and think it will be highly beneficial in the long run. 

 

Anything i can improve on? 

Ryan Segervall

 

- here is the other angle. Roommate was rather amused haha

 

let me know if I can improve this at all. but this is in general what my tempo is and scap positioning during my training sessions. some reps better than others 

Everett Carroll

Boom! Nice Ryan. Happy to see you're back on straight arms my friend. Looking good. 

Ryan Segervall
On 6/30/2017 at 0:09 PM, Everett Carroll said:

Boom! Nice Ryan. Happy to see you're back on straight arms my friend. Looking good. 

its been quite the journey to even get back to straight arms on an elevated surface. Appreciate all the support & help!

Ryan Segervall

 @Everett Carroll check me out, made it on flat ground today :) let me know if this can improve at all. last set of 4x6

Everett Carroll

Nice work Ryan! 

Ryan Segervall

This is 5x15 mastery volume first attempt . A burner for sure, wondering how it looks and what is recommended from here (progress, regress, stay at 5x15 volume for another 1-2 weeks) 

Everett Carroll

Hey Ryan,

You're nearly there!!! Stay on these for a bit longer, until these feel a little easier. Focus on protracting more strongly at the top of each rep, especially on the later sets when you're tired.

Every rep, try to check in on a different area---     1: Protract      2: Elbows      3: Core Tight      4: Glutes Squeezed         5: Quads/Strong Knees          Then repeat. This tactic is simple but really helps me remain mindful when training gets hard, especially when the reps & sets are high. 

This will also give you a chance to improve your hip swivels a little more. If you aren't already, hold Wes's technique tip variation daily, for 3x45s per side. 

Ryan Segervall

@Everett Carroll Thanks for the feedback! Ill start doin those swivel hip exercises on the daily, but I fear my right hip doesnt have much to improve. I run into a hard stop in the hip capsule and it physically wont go any farther without impingement or grinding.  Working on this with my MAT therapist but we are still working on shoulder patterns, and are a couple sessions out from getting into the hips where this hip issue will be resolved. (slow process too cause I can only afford 1 session a month, but am certain it will clear up a lot of the range of motion issues with internal rotation) 

 

Ill get back to you with a form check next week! 

Ryan Segervall

 @Everett Carroll Kept your advise in mind on this second attempt. Things felt better this time around up until the last 5  reps of set 5 where I really had to dig deep to keep form. Let me know what you think

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Ryan I suggest doing some reps more on your left side. the internal rotation of the left side it is a bit reduced compared to the right.

Ryan Segervall

Thank you @Alessandro Mainente I will put this exercise into my daily mobilization routine to get some more reps in. 

How was the PE? 

Alessandro Mainente

PE was good.

Ryan Segervall

- It was one of those days where I just hit a mental/physical wall. Going to regress back to 4x15 next week.

But wanted to check in and see how the im is improving. The im felt better today and by my last set my knees were almost getting to the floor. What is gold standard for me to be able to progress onwards for the im provided I am able to complete the PE? 

 

 

Everett Carroll
13 hours ago, Ryan Segervall said:

What is gold standard for me to be able to progress onwards for the im provided I am able to complete the PE? 

I suggest you eat lots of food, take at least three days off before your next upper body workout, and stay on step 9. The gold standard is going to be knees to the floor for the iM on all 5 sets. Just warm-up really well before your next mastery attempt and I think you can get it. I always eat a ton of carbs (potatoes, rice, ramen etc.) when I'm ramping up for high-rep mastery sessions like this. Just an idea. You've got this, Ryan!

Ryan Segervall
33 minutes ago, Everett Carroll said:

I suggest you eat lots of food, take at least three days off before your next upper body workout, and stay on step 9. The gold standard is going to be knees to the floor for the iM on all 5 sets. Just warm-up really well before your next mastery attempt and I think you can get it. I always eat a ton of carbs (potatoes, rice, ramen etc.) when I'm ramping up for high-rep mastery sessions like this. Just an idea. You've got this, Ryan!

Thank you for the advice. Calories have been pretty low over the past 5-6 weeks. Been loosing a little bit of extra bad weight I put on during my injury. Down 8lbs, and about to shift gears towards maintenance then eventually surplus. 

I will start by eating around maintenance for the next two weeks starting now. I think this will help a lot with replenishing energy stores. 

 

Next upper body workout is next week on Wednesday (F4 once a week), but had scheduled climbing sessions for today and on sunday, with monday and tue being lighter rest days. 

I figure this is okay? Hasent seemed to be interfering during these past 3 weeks ive been following that  routine. 

Everett Carroll
On 10/12/2017 at 9:29 AM, Ryan Segervall said:

I figure this is okay?

Definitely. Sounds good to me. 

Ryan Segervall

@Everett Carroll 

- the boost in carbs helped a lot this time around. Let me know if its time to move on to pe2

Everett Carroll

Hey Ryan,

I had a chat with Coach Jeffrey about this one and we both think that you need just a little more time here to lock in your step 9 fitness. I bet in 2-4 more sessions, especially as long as you continue to eat plenty, that you'll feel much more solid. 

For the iM, move your feet a bit closer together and slightly closer to your body. Also focus on your external rotation and aim to get both knees all the way down!

Keep it up!

Ryan Segervall

@Everett Carroll got it! ill keep crankin 

Ryan Segervall

@Everett Carroll

 

this weeks attempt. Let me know if you want me to stay at this volume for another week or so