This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Modification for SPl PE 1

Started by Ryan Segervall, March 10, 2017 · 51 Replies · 767 Views

Ryan Segervall

Hi, 

So im still on the road to full recovery for my elbows. Im back doing incline pushups and rows  with no real issues but am nowhere near ready to begin straight arm work. I tried the other day and tweaked my left elbow, so avoiding it for the next 8-12 weeks.

 

I was wondering in the mean time if it would be okay to preform these scap shrugs on my elbows rather than with locked out arms? Or if I should just wait it out until my elbows are ready for straight arm work? 

Everett Carroll

Hi Ryan,

 I think it will be alright if you temporarily work on sPL/PE1 in a forearm plank until your doctor clears you for straight arm work. 

Ryan Segervall
2 minutes ago, Everett Carroll said:

Hi Ryan,

 I think it will be alright if you temporarily work on sPL/PE1 in a forearm plank until your doctor clears you for straight arm work. 

Sounds good, or I could regress the movement entirely into an elevated position where my elbows can tolerate the load in the straight arm position. 

any preference over the two?

Everett Carroll

This would only be better if you have absolutely no pain, discomfort, or irritation in the joint during or after the session. If in doubt, don't bother with straight arms as recovery and joint health is your focus right now. 

Ryan Segervall
1 minute ago, Everett Carroll said:

This would only be better if you have absolutely no pain, discomfort, or irritation in the joint during or after the session. If in doubt, don't bother with straight arms as recovery and joint health is your focus right now. 

- I'll play around with some scap pushup on my elbows for now and count my incline pushups as the extent of my straight arm work (when at the top position for each rep) 

 

thanks for your advice!

Ryan Segervall

 @Everett Carroll Here is a little form check of the SPl PE 1. Just 1 set playing around with it before I take it the gym.  Any form issues that you see?

 

I tried to keep shoulders over elbows and not forward or backward. And in regards to scap positioning on the retraction I aimed to try and get them down and back rather the back and up, but slipped on a couple reps. Is this a correct understanding of the proper form for the movement?

 

thanks, 

Ryan

Everett Carroll

Hi Ryan,

Overall they are looking really good. Just be sure to keep an even tempo as you retract and protract. Keep it steady. As far as scapular movement goes, just focus on pinching your shoulder blades together and spreading them apart. You did a nice job of keeping your shoulders down, away from your ears which is a bonus at this stage. You're doing a great job. 

Ryan Segervall
On 3/13/2017 at 9:37 PM, Everett Carroll said:

Hi Ryan,

Overall they are looking really good. Just be sure to keep an even tempo as you retract and protract. Keep it steady. As far as scapular movement goes, just focus on pinching your shoulder blades together and spreading them apart. You did a nice job of keeping your shoulders down, away from your ears which is a bonus at this stage. You're doing a great job. 

Just thought I would follow up with you with some footage from the gym today. Let me know any adjustments I should make.

Winter Phoenix

Hi Ryan, 

As Everett has said earlier the movement at the shoulder blades looks good. I would like to see your whole body in the videos if possible. When we are assessing these movements a full body shot will allow us to see working correctly from head to toe. The mobility looks good, keep working on that range of motion. Nice that you are finding a way to get it done.

 

Ryan Segervall

@Winter Phoenix 

I'll get that full body shot next time I go into the gym to train this movement! 

Winter Phoenix

Sounds great Ryan looking forward to it. 

Ryan Segervall

@Winter Phoenix

 

Filmed a quick set for you after my training session today. Tried to keep a strong PPT without piking at the hips. Let me know if there is anything I can work on :) 

 

Winter Phoenix

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the video. It looks good can you push more forward with your ankles in dorsiflexion, if you check the video of the gymnast you will see this correction. This will also help with your PPT and maintain a tighter line from your hips to your ankles.

I would like to have seen this without your t-shirt on so can you send through another video include the above correction, only when you get a chance.

Ryan Segervall

@Winter Phoenix

Here you are!

was this a correct adjustment on the ankle positioning? 

Winter Phoenix

Thanks, Ryan this looks great - well done!  Remember to keep your ankles together :)

 

Ryan Segervall

Been progressing nicely with this exercise and thought I would post a form check. Started with 3x9 about 6 weeks ago, now on 5x9 and still have a couple reps (2-3) in the tank after my final set. 

Hows it lookin? 

thanks!

Everett Carroll

Hey Ryan,

Your modified scap shrugs are looking good. Try to swivel your hips more fluidly, moving them both to the left and then to the right, as shown in the exercise video. I assume you are still not supporting with your hands because of the elbow. Feel free to use a wall for support instead. 

Ryan Segervall

@Everett Carroll Elbows are probably fine now to put on the ground behind me. I'll focus on smoothing out the iM

Ryan Segervall

Here is my final set of 5x15 for PE1. Wondering what the coaches thoughts are. I was able to get through this amount of volume with about 2 reps left in the tank.  

I will note I felt like I had a strong PPT the whole time but on this set it does look like i could have an Even stronger PPT (very mellow arch in the lower back on my last 3 reps) 

I also did notice my ROM started to decrease on the last couple of reps. 

 

Thoughts on what to do next? 

a) Stay here for a couple of weeks them progress on to PE2

b) Regress back to a 4x12 or 4x15 then test mastery again

 

Alessandro Mainente

Option number 2.

Ryan Segervall
20 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Option number 2.

That what I was thinking. I'll regress down to 4x12 and work my way back up to mastery in about 5 weeks time

Ryan Segervall

- here is 4x12. Felt a difference in fatigue between right and left (left more fatigued by the end on the 4th set). Gonna hang out here for a little and keep an eye on this imbalance and see how it improves. Just checking in to make sure my form look good. PPT felt stronger this time around compared to the 5x15 

Everett Carroll

The only thing I notice is that as you retract, you lose a little bit of core (and possible glute) engagement. Keep that in mind next workout. 

Ryan Segervall

- After two weeks at 4x12 I was feeling confident to go for 4x15 with a new and improved PPT. On my last set there was a slight moment where my PPT wanted to go weak but I quickly fixed it and continued to PPT as strong as I possibly could. 

 

Just thought Id get another eye or two on this session to see if I was getting ahead of myself with the progression. I would rate it as a 8.5/10 on intensity ( had 1 maybe 2 reps left)

 

Also I notice that when I retract my scaps tend to shrug upwards into elevation at the bottom of the rep, is this okay for now? Or should I regress way back and build up without any elevation at the bottom of the rep? (I vaguely remember this being okay and that later progressions would take care of this, just wanted to clarify)   

 

Ryan Segervall

Also what are your thoughts about regressing the movement entirely to a incline scap pushup? This would be a friendly place to begin reintroducing straight arm strength for the elbows before getting on the floor. 

 

Perhaps regress it to the incline variation and also work on minimizing the amount of scapular elevation I get when going into retraction?