This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Elevated thoracic Bridge push up TBSSE19

Started by Leigh Kettle, February 25, 2017 · 74 Replies · 1,557 Views

Leigh Kettle

Please be kind here as this is one of a few of my first submissions of a quite terrrible beginning to my thoracic series lol

hell its why I've purchased it lol 

any pointers/ tips much appreciated 

Leigh https://youtu.be/8LHppCOROgQ

Everett Carroll

Hi Leigh,

Is the top position of these reps how you are performing your 60s Elevated Thoracic Bridge as well? If so, it may be best to not go this far into the series for now. Alex often suggests performing the elevated cat stretch 3-5 times per day for 45-60s. This could really help increase your mobility and better prepare you for an Elevated TB.

What you want to aim for is having your hands further away from your feet. Have you tried an Elevated TB with your feet on the top of the couch that's in frame?     

Leigh Kettle

Thanks @Everett Carroll

 

yes I had read on one of the forums for people struggling  to get into the bridge then it was acceptable to get into it from a handstand so this was in my head how to get into some form of the bridge trying to keep ppt. Pushing up from the floor with feet elevated (for example on the couch ) for some reason I find impossible and it seems to concentrate bend in my lower back due to such poor thoracic mobility . My hspu strength I used to have doesn't seem to have helped me  here . Tho admittedly I haven't tried to do that for a few weeks so I could give it a go again 

I've been doing the elevated  cat stretch daily but only once and for 60 s as I was concerned doing more may not help me (again just from reading forums tho it seems maybe I'm misinterpreting  something here )  so yes I can definitely  start doing this more often 

leigh 

Leigh Kettle

Everett here is my position for the static hold 

IMG_3252.PNG

Everett Carroll

Hi Leigh,

I got @Tanya Hill 's opinion on this and we agree you should try working on everything in the TB Series up to Inverted Cat for the next four weeks. Also, try the advice Alex gives in this thread:

Leigh Kettle
20 minutes ago, Everett Carroll said:

Hi Leigh,

I got @Tanya Hill 's opinion on this and we agree you should try working on everything in the TB Series up to Inverted Cat for the next four weeks. Also, try the advice Alex gives in this thread:

Great thank you both

ok I will do this for the next four weeks and report back also doing the daily stretches Alex has suggested . I've just messaged him regarding the exact reps/sets to make sure I get it right

thanks again

leigh 

Leigh Kettle

@Everett Carroll

sorry everett just looking through the series and you say to stop at inverted cat. I've noticed that after this exercise there is the capsule and the inverted cat. Should I not be doing these either then? I thought it may be the actual bridge work you would prefer I stopped for now 

Leigh 

Leigh Kettle

Sorry ignore the above I got the inverted cat and the elevated cat mixed up 

my apologies lol

leigh 

Leigh Kettle

@Everett Carroll @Alessandro Mainente

hey everett and Alex hope  you both well

for the last few weeks I've been working on my shoulder flexion and the thoracic series each week up to and including inverted cat as you both suggested ...

here is my before and after pic holding my shoulder flexion whilst standing with hands shoulder width apart (the pic taken outside is the latest pic lol ) 

i think there is a "little" improvement 

what would you suggest would be the next step for me from here in terms of the thoracic series and other suggestions  

ill obvs keep working on the flexion - 

many thanks 

leigh 

 

 

 

 

IMG_3515.PNG

IMG_3517.PNG

Alessandro Mainente

Damn, so much improvement! good inspiration guys! take note!

Affan Osman

Seems like a 15 degree improvement! Great job!

Leigh Kettle
11 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Damn, so much improvement! good inspiration guys! take note!

 

5 hours ago, Affan Osman said:

Seems like a 15 degree improvement! Great job!

Wow thanks guys really great to hear I've improved on what can be such a slow process for us made of stone . Thanks again for your help Alex 

Alessandro Mainente

You're welcome. Seriously guys, too many people struggle with something and soon or later they will stop, focusing deeply on something always give the best results.

Affan Osman

I am also working on elevated and inverted cat as suggested by coaches although not everyday. In the last month I got injured twice, shoulder and ankle. Shoulder is fine now. Injuries can be demotivating but they also teach you to work smarter and respect your limitations. Posts like these motivate and inspire me to do more :) 

Jonas Berglund
On 2017-04-08 at 11:04 AM, Leigh Kettle said:

@Everett Carroll @Alessandro Mainente

hey everett and Alex hope  you both well

for the last few weeks I've been working on my shoulder flexion and the thoracic series each week up to and including inverted cat as you both suggested ...

here is my before and after pic holding my shoulder flexion whilst standing with hands shoulder width apart (the pic taken outside is the latest pic lol ) 

i think there is a "little" improvement 

what would you suggest would be the next step for me from here in terms of the thoracic series and other suggestions  

ill obvs keep working on the flexion - 

many thanks 

leigh 

 

 

 

 

IMG_3515.PNG

IMG_3517.PNG

Thank you for the inspiration Leigh, im another caveman struggling with these exact exercises aswell. Looking forward to follow your progress, keep it up!

Leigh Kettle

Thanks jonas you too mate 

very pleased I've been able to inspire you especially as so many of us seem to be going through the struggle . Keep grinding and being consistent in your training and the results will show . 

 

Leigh Kettle
19 hours ago, Affan Osman said:

I am also working on elevated and inverted cat as suggested by coaches although not everyday. In the last month I got injured twice, shoulder and ankle. Shoulder is fine now. Injuries can be demotivating but they also teach you to work smarter and respect your limitations. Posts like these motivate and inspire me to do more :) 

Yes I know only to well the struggle with injury. It's one of the reasons I came to gb to start from scratch and hopefully bulletproof myself going forwards

its the best decision I made I love what these guys do and how great I'm starting to feel. 

never enjoyed training so much 

Big salute to everyone on here coaches and fellow trainees alike 

Leigh Kettle

@Everett Carroll

hey Everett hope you well

 a few weeks ago on one of my tb series push up form checks you suggested I dropped all the exercises after inverted cat for now to concentrate  on my shoulder flexion, (so only going as far as and including inverted cat in the series)

Having taken your advice for these couple of months now and with the above post in mind I just wondered with if I should continue just doing this first part of the series way or whether  you have any further advice for me from this day forward 

thanks in advance 

Leigh 

 

Everett Carroll

Hi Leigh,

Posting a HS Shoulder Flexion Press and Elevated Bridge form check will help us to answer this question. Your shoulder flexion has improved tremendously so you will likely be ready to go deeper into the series.

Leigh Kettle
2 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

Hi Leigh,

Posting a HS Shoulder Flexion Press and Elevated Bridge form check will help us to answer this question. Your shoulder flexion has improved tremendously so you will likely be ready to go deeper into the series.

Thanks Everett I'll do this for you no problem

thanks again for all your help really appreciate it 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Leight, for you I would pass the vast majority of the time on the cat variations.

Leigh Kettle
7 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hey Leight, for you I would pass the vast majority of the time on the cat variations.

Sorry Alex just to clarify do you mean 

to just concentrate on the cat variations for now ONLY and not do any of the specific bridge work (elevated, push up etc) 

is there anything else you can suggest that I can supplement in to help me get my spine moving . As this video above  comes along time after not doing any bridge work only concentrating on cat work and I haven't seemed to improve any 

many thanks alex

leigh

Alessandro Mainente

From my point of view you have too much limitation to perform correctly and with low risk the bridge work, you risk to force too much the shoulder joint complex. have you ever tried to check a PT in order to understand if your limitation it is a muscles limitations or a spine limitation?

Leigh Kettle

Hey alex

no I've never checked with  a pt as it's something I've never even thought about before joining gb and certainly wasn't aware of . 

 I was just under the impression the majority of us joining this programme has stone like spines that the tb series amongst other things would help to improve . May that not be the case with me then ? :-(