This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE7 (Wall Handstand)

Started by Petri Widsten, February 14, 2017 · 32 Replies · 430 Views

Petri Widsten

Hi guys

I've been playing around with wall handstands a bit though I'm still at PE5. How am I looking in terms of PPT and shoulder flexion?

20170215_113346_25182[1].jpg

 

20170215_114202_27090[1].jpg

Alessandro Mainente

HI Petri, hands are too wide,elbows are locked? your left shoulder seems to have more deficits compared to the right.

scapulae need to be more protracted, this means move the armpit closer to the wall as much as you can.

Petri Widsten

Thanks for the tips, Alessandro. I'll make the adjustments and repost when I can see a difference.

Winter Phoenix

Hi Petri,

There is a slight arch in your back, so keeping working on your PPT!

John Kiggundu

@Petri Widsten

Please tell that young lad (in picture 1) to keep training hard. He's an inspiration!

John Kiggundu
On February 14, 2017 at 8:32 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

HI Petri, hands are too wide,elbows are locked? your left shoulder seems to have more deficits compared to the right.

scapulae need to be more protracted, this means move the armpit closer to the wall as much as you can.

I learned something new @Alessandro Mainente. When we move our wrists closer to the wall (HS/PE11) are we also supposed to protract our scapulae as much as possible? Is that the main goal of HS/PE11? I.e, maximum protraction of scapulae while armpits are as close to the wall as possible?

Petri Widsten
2 hours ago, John Kiggundu said:

@Petri Widsten

Please tell that young lad (in picture 1) to keep training hard. He's an inspiration!

I think he doesn't miss a day! He's over 80.

Petri Widsten
2 hours ago, John Kiggundu said:

I learned something new @Alessandro Mainente. When we move our wrists closer to the wall (HS/PE11) are we also supposed to protract our scapulae as much as possible? Is that the main goal of HS/PE11? I.e, maximum protraction of scapulae while armpits are as close to the wall as possible?

Good question. I wasn't even trying to protract.

Alessandro Mainente
6 hours ago, John Kiggundu said:

I learned something new @Alessandro Mainente. When we move our wrists closer to the wall (HS/PE11) are we also supposed to protract our scapulae as much as possible? Is that the main goal of HS/PE11? I.e, maximum protraction of scapulae while armpits are as close to the wall as possible?

absolutely yes. once you move on handstand position, supported, free or partially supported, the protraction it is necessary.

Petri Widsten

Here's an update, @Alessandro Mainente. This time I'm trying to protract to get my armpits closer to the wall but I'm not sure there's an improvement. Is that the biggest aspect to work on? I'm also trying to PPT but am able to do it as well on the wall as on the floor.

 

20170219_114120_22788.jpg

20170302_115801_24633.jpg

Alessandro Mainente

Actually no improvements, the ability move the armpit closer requires more mobility , 15 days it is not enough to fix the problem.

Petri Widsten

I'll be focusing on that then. Thank you Alessandro.

Petri Widsten
On ‎3‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 3:57 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Actually no improvements, the ability move the armpit closer requires more mobility , 15 days it is not enough to fix the problem.

I think this is my best alignment yet, at least regarding PPT. What do you think? I think I still need better flexion (more open shoulders). I'm trying to press my armpits to the wall.59a61354aa472_20170830_115047_250571.thumb.jpg.eba41d0d535eb51b7f199aa5b001ecfb.jpg

Alessandro Mainente

Do not force too much your head in. it should be neutral. with the peripheral vision I must able to see your thumbs...can you?

Also my first impression it is that you are "falling into the wall" while the major goal it is to begin to feel the weight stacked on the hands.

In order to check the previous statement, you can try to drop immediately the amount of weight you are assisting with the feet, if you fall on the wall then the position must be corrected.

Petri Widsten

Hi @Alessandro MainenteWow, whole new focus points. I can't answer your question until I try again next week. What about shoulder flexion and PPT?

Alessandro Mainente

Shoulder range of motion it is reached here by retraction and flexion while the ideal solution should be protraction and flexion. the distance between armpit and wall should be minimized.

Petri Widsten
13 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Shoulder range of motion it is reached here by retraction and flexion while the ideal solution should be protraction and flexion. the distance between armpit and wall should be minimized.

Cheers @Alessandro Mainente. Here's a front view - I did my best to protract. 20170830_115859_26079.thumb.jpg.b91bb89a4c65ae3be303c4f431a14774.jpg

Alessandro Mainente

The hands distance can be reduced, also if you have the TB stretch course you can perform a couple of set of the cat stretch position one arm at a time, maybe with a longer set for the left one. I still doubt for some limitation in the anterior shoulder capsule.

Petri Widsten
26 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

The hands distance can be reduced, also if you have the TB stretch course you can perform a couple of set of the cat stretch position one arm at a time, maybe with a longer set for the left one. I still doubt for some limitation in the anterior shoulder capsule.

Actually I already train this together with my TB training after two- and one-arm (not part of TB course) elevated cat stretches. I'm still working to reduce the hand distance in undergrip dislocates (PE6). I don't feel any limitations in capsule stretches and do the floor version as part of my general warm up. I'll reduce the hand distance and see if I can bring my left arm closer to my ear. Thanks once more!

Petri Widsten
On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:15 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

The hands distance can be reduced, also if you have the TB stretch course you can perform a couple of set of the cat stretch position one arm at a time, maybe with a longer set for the left one. I still doubt for some limitation in the anterior shoulder capsule.

I tried to implement your corrections, hopefully with some success. Which one of the side views do you think is better (I like the first one better)?

59af566d408e5_20170906_123941_249961.thumb.jpg.bf84e3936d33cdd0d02f354ed729a001.jpg59af5763b6573_20170906_125852_193071.thumb.jpg.f306a7a2484c3a30046ce65c3e4dbfa7.jpg59af57f341701_20170906_130728_340401.thumb.jpg.87538c4a8ec158a36b927ef4407c7fc3.jpg

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Petri, there is no substantial difference, at this point I would ask you to show the IM from IM5 up to the one coupled with wall handstand.

Petri Widsten
6 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hey Petri, there is no substantial difference, at this point I would ask you to show the IM from IM5 up to the one coupled with wall handstand.

Hi Alessandro, here are videos of iM5 with 2, 5.5 and 10 kg. 2 kg is less than shoulder + hands width, the 5.5 kg is 2 cm more and 10 kg is 4 cm more. I'll shoot videos of the other iMs.

 

Alessandro Mainente

Since the mastery requirement, it is the 2 kg with approximately shoulders width (plus one hand on each side) I would like to see them. My suggestion is that no matter the weight you are using, you need to reach always the prescribed grip. for instance, there is no reason to move over 5.5 kg if you cannot show it approximately at shoulder distance.

Same idea for IM6 and 7. I would like to see the approximately shoulders width mastery.

Petri Widsten
26 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Since the mastery requirement, it is the 2 kg with approximately shoulders width (plus one hand on each side) I would like to see them. My suggestion is that no matter the weight you are using, you need to reach always the prescribed grip. for instance, there is no reason to move over 5.5 kg if you cannot show it approximately at shoulder distance.

Same idea for IM6 and 7. I would like to see the approximately shoulders width mastery.

The 2 kg overgrip (iM5) is already at shoulder + hands width - I'm working towards getting the 5.5 kg to that distance (maybe I can already do it, I know I'm close), and 10 kg to the current distance of 5.5 kg :-). Eventually I'll get to 10 kg at shoulder + hands width.

Undergrip iM6 is not yet at target distance so that is my current focus point and PE7 and increasing the weight on iM5 are extra training. I haven't started iM7 but I'll give it a go.

Alessandro Mainente

OK perfect, can you show me the IM5 with the prescribed range of motion please?