Thrive, or equipment, which would you do first?

Started by Josh Martin, February 14, 2017 · 18 Replies · 3,365 Views

Josh Martin

If you only had enough money for Thrive or some equipment, which would you choose?

 

Keep in mind this is for someone whose mom would call 'Husky' (jelly belly for those who may not know this reference.)

Ryan Bailey

Thrive

Antonio Alías Montoya

First of all rings. You can made them yourself with pvc pipes. It s somewhere in the forum. After this depends on your goals and priorities. Some people will never purchase Thrive and they ll fill energetic and lean. It just depends on how important it s for you and how much do u need it a nutrition program.

In my case my priority would be:

1. Foundation

2. Equipment for Foundation

3. Strecht series

4. Handstand 1

5. Thrive

6. Equipment for Strecht series

7. Saving for stall bars.

Edit: I just understood the "husky thing", so maybe "Thrive should be a bit priorized"

Darin Phoenix

Hi Josh, 

The list of equipment required for Foundation 1 is minimal. A set of rings is essential and a single light dumbbell. I don't understand the reference to "husky?" I am assuming that you have some body recomposition that you need to take care of and if this is the case then Thrive is highly recommended. 

Gymnastic strength training requires high degrees of relative strength, that is strength compared to bodyweight. If you are carrying excess bodyweight your journey is going to be that much more difficult. Nutrition and training are symbiotes and share equal importance in a complete training plan.

We look forward to watching your progress.

Josh Martin

Thanks to all!

Douglas Wadle

Always choose knowledge and self-empowerment over "things".  Plus you can always get creative w/ "things".  

On the flip side, there's seldom a person I know who doesn't waste more in a month than a pair of rings would cost.  i.e. latte, cable tv, eating out, movie theater, beer or pop, clothing.  You get the picture, save $5 / week and in a month buy some cheap rings, or in 2 months buy some quality rings.  It's almost always a matter of priorities as opposed to unaffordability, at least for these low cost items.  Good luck with achieving your goals.

Affan Osman

I think it also depends on how your current nutrition is. If your diet is not healthy I would give thrive higher priority. But if you already eat good then you may consider getting equipment first also. That being said I recently got thrive so my answer may change in a few months :)

Sean Cunningham

I'm still at the beginning of this adventure myself. I don't have an answer for what you should do. But I can tell you the decision I made. I picked Thrive.

So far, I've been able to improvise most everything I've needed except for Rings. I bought a pair of inexpensive rings online and they're doing the job. 

On the flip side, I don't think I could have improvised what Thrive is laying out. I've read and researched nutrition A LOT. So I was already familiar with the nutritional concepts that are included in the system. But I've never considered creating dietary change incrementally, the way Thrive does. I've never seen anyone else lay it out like this either. It's like a step-by-step guide to changing your diet over time. I'm on Step 4 of the plan and I've found it very easy to implement the small recommended changes into my daily routine thus far. 

Josh Martin
5 hours ago, Sean Cunningham said:

I'm still at the beginning of this adventure myself. I don't have an answer for what you should do. But I can tell you the decision I made. I picked Thrive.

So far, I've been able to improvise most everything I've needed except for Rings. I bought a pair of inexpensive rings online and they're doing the job. 

On the flip side, I don't think I could have improvised what Thrive is laying out. I've read and researched nutrition A LOT. So I was already familiar with the nutritional concepts that are included in the system. But I've never considered creating dietary change incrementally, the way Thrive does. I've never seen anyone else lay it out like this either. It's like a step-by-step guide to changing your diet over time. I'm on Step 4 of the plan and I've found it very easy to implement the small recommended changes into my daily routine thus far. 

Thank @Sean Cunningham!  Does that mean you are 4 weeks in?

Have your habits changed?  How about the mental side of how you think about food now?  Has there been measurable results thus far?

Luke Searra

Hello Josh it sounds like body composition is your first priority at the moment. Start with Thrive first, and once you have created solid nutritional habits - begin GST.

Josh Martin

Thanks @Luke Searra.  Is there an average bodyfat loss measurement on Thrive?  Thanks again!

 

Leo Trinidad

Yes definitely go with Thrive Nutrition. :) Starting it early and creating a good habit on nutrition will also have a huge carry over in training.

Tanya Hill

Great question about the body fat loss measurement, @Josh Martin. You will take a before and after picture. Once you build regular eating habits you will see a big different. As far as testing your body fat, that is up to you. My recommendation is to test it once a month. Same day of the month same time. 

Luke Searra

Keep us updated with your progress Josh

Winter Phoenix

Hi Josh,

Like Tanya suggested the before and after picture in Thrive is a great tool to use as a reference for how you have progressed in changing your eating habits.

If you are asking what the average weight loss for people on Thrive is, that is a very difficult question to answer. People participate in Thrive for a variety of reasons, of which weight loss is only one of them.

The premise of Thrive is to change your nutritional habits. By creating good consistent nutritional behaviours your body composition will take care of itself.

The Coaches and GB community will be here to offer you lots of support on your journey to a healthier lifestyle. 

 

Josh Earl

I finished up Thrive a few weeks ago and highly, highly recommend it. 

It's not designed as a fat loss program, but if your diet is lousy and you are overweight, you should definitely start slimming down, especially toward the end of the program. I started around 15% body fat, and dropped 1-2 pounds of fat.

Thrive will give you a solid, healthy base that supports your training, and that you can come back to after doing some focused fat loss so you don't rebound. 

Suzanna McGee

My personal preference would be:

0) Eat tons of fresh vegetables and fruits and whole foods… that will quickly take care of your "husky-ness"  :-) 

1) Foundation / H1 / Stretches

2) Equipment needed

3) Stall Bars… I wish I would have gotten them much much much earlier during my GST journey…  You can save your money from all the food bills that you save when you fill yourself with veggies and lentils/beans  etc   :) 

Sean Cunningham
On 2/16/2017 at 4:59 PM, Josh Martin said:

Thank @Sean Cunningham!  Does that mean you are 4 weeks in?

Have your habits changed?  How about the mental side of how you think about food now?  Has there been measurable results thus far?

No, @Josh Martin, the way the course is laid out, you unlock 2 steps per week. So I'm about 2 weeks in. It's probably too early to say that my habits have changed, but it's been easy to incorporate the steps into my daily routine and the weekly cooking I do for the family. 

Josh Martin
On 2/19/2017 at 2:59 PM, Sean Cunningham said:

No, @Josh Martin, the way the course is laid out, you unlock 2 steps per week. So I'm about 2 weeks in. It's probably too early to say that my habits have changed, but it's been easy to incorporate the steps into my daily routine and the weekly cooking I do for the family. 

Thanks Sean.