Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Big rope knot

Francesco Pudda

Francesco Pudda

Hi all!

I've bought a 36mm canapa rope, which has a wonderful grip and is very resistent! Its disadvantage is that the big diameter and low flexibility makes hard knotting it. I have a horizontal bast between two walls, and I would like to hang it from there.

Do you have any suggestion? How did you knot your ropes from a horizontal bar?

Is it 3 or 4 strand? If 3 strand, it's pretty easy to splice an eye at one end, there's lots of tutorials on the webs.

Johan Tideland

Hello

What you could do is to make an eye splice with the rope, then feed the end with the eye over the horizontal bar and pull the other end trough the eye until it is tight, this so that you can easily remove the rope if you want.

I wrote "Splicing 3 stranded rope" on youtube and found this  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeYBkMCQ8WY      of course there are many other instructional videos on the subject that you could follow.

As for the end of the rope being "merged together", I believe that you can simply pull the strands apart or remove the tape (if there is any), or remove the whipping (if there is any).

I would recommend that you practice the splice on another rope or on the same if you can spare a few feet so that you are confident in doing a splice and can produce a good one.

If you really do not want to splice, I would recommend doing a "Bowline knot". Just google it and I assure you that you will find plenty of good tutorials. You should know that tying a knot will weaken the rope more than a splice since a splice will have the strands lie more fair. Although if you fear that your rope might break just because you choose to tie a knot instead of splicing it, perhaps then it might be prudent to use another rope.

Good luck!

Johan

Francesco Pudda
18 hours ago, Tanya Hill said:

Another idea would be to attach clips to each end instead of doing the knot. ;)

Could you post a photo of what you mean please?

Although if you fear that your rope might break just because you choose to tie a knot instead of splicing it, perhaps then it might be prudent to use another rope.

I do not fear to break it, just to weaken it, since it is very robust but not so flexible (synthetic ropes costed too much). I will watch that video and knot, thanks!

Francesco Pudda

This is my temporary solution:

T5HUT9s.jpg

Using this knot with one more passage: http://www.animatedknots.com/gnat/index.php?Categ=typehitches&LogoImage=LogoGrog.png&Website=www.animatedknots.com#ScrollPoint

It keeps very well, I just fear that it might loose strength from now forward, since it is I cannot keep that there forever, but I have to tie and untie it again.

• Upvote 1

Aha, I recommend putting duck tape around the end and getting a clip to put on the end to make it a bit more secure. Check out some YouTube videos on how to seal a rope with a clip. 

Train safe Francesco :)

• Upvote 1

Francesco Pudda
17 hours ago, Luke Searra said:

Francesco definitely DO NOT leave the rope loose ended like that!

I will surely tape it!

Aha, I recommend putting duck tape around the end and getting a clip to put on the end to make it a bit more secure. Check out some YouTube videos on how to seal a rope with a clip. 

I'm not sure I've understood what you meant :/

Edited by Francesco Pudda