This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

The best approach to training.

Started by Vince Musci, February 9, 2017 · 2 Replies · 160 Views

Vince Musci

So I purchased the Foundations Course and have reached the second training block and have a couple questions.  That being said I love the program and  think that it promises great things.  I intend to work through the programs accordingly, but am finding the amount of freedom in the training structure thus far a bit overwhelming.  

The approach I've been talking so far is watching the daily video, performing the movements, normally aiming to practice the movements for 45min or go through the follow along portions of the tutorials 3 times ( I film myself to try and make sure Im progressing towards correct form.) After that day I do the same thing with the following training days combining the days together until reaching the block review and after reaching a new block always starting with the last blocks review.  Is this a good approach? Should I be training all of the fundamental movements everyday as they are revealed to me or concentrate solely on the movements of that particular day?  

Is this a step in the right direction? Can you point me to information on the proper way to train?  I feel like I have been given a pristine set of tools, but it's up to me to figure out how to use them. (Im not trying to bash the program, I just want to make sure Im taking the right approach, I know where improper training leads.)  Also do you thing it would be more beneficial to train Fundamentals and Foundation 1 simultaneously, or one and then the other? I ask because I noticed in the forums that Coach Sommer has no prerequisites for ether course.  Or better yet are there better programs to combine with fundamentals like H1 or so on?

Thanks so much,

Vince Musci.  

Pauline Taube

Hi Vince,

Thanks for reaching out, good questions. 

You are only required to do the follow along portion of the lesson each day. If you wish, you can add the following:

-Short review and practice of previous lessons that you had trouble with.
-Short 5-10 minute addition practice of the current lesson.

Fundamentals is meant to be a step back from high intensity training so we recommend keeping the volume overall low. I like your approach, as long as you feel like you're recovering you can continue to do so. 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/fundamentals/introduction/


https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/24601-sets-and-reps

I would reccomend to finish the Fundamentals course before staring Foundation. It's a great way to discover weaknesses and imbalances before starting this course. I however suggest to start doing the Stretch series once a week each while working your way through the Fundamentals. 

Once you finish the Fundamentals course you can use the daily limbering routine as a warmup before your Foundation training and Stretch series. Coach Sommer reccomend to combine Foundation One, Handstand One and the Stretch courses for beginners :) 

Feek free to reach out again if you have any more questions. We'd love to follow your progress on your GST journey, so please keep us posted :D 

Vince Musci

Thanks so much for the feed back!