This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

NEW STUDENTS READ FIRST - Sets and Reps

Started by Coach Sommer, May 14, 2016 · 47 Replies · 8,531 Views

Coach Sommer

Hi guys,

Many of you are confused that there are no sets and reps in Fundamentals.  This is intentional.  I want you to feel free to slow down if needed, to adjust ROM as required, without feeling that you are being lazy or negligent as this is most certainly not the case.

Sets and reps are used to establish a predesignated intensity and volume of work which may or may not be appropriate for you personally as beginners.  Note that working over your head is the surest route to injury.

The body thrives on consistency and moderation.  Especially for beginners who are still re-establishing natural ROM and re-building joint health.  Hard enough to lead to supercompensation, but not so hard as to push the joints over the edge.  

Later on, if you want to kick the tires and put the pedal to the metal occasionally go for it.  But for now let's err on the side of caution.

For the fire eaters amongst you, don't worry.  GST will be kicking your a@# soon enough. ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Julian Doucette

What does ROM mean?

Cole Dano

ROM = Range of Motion

Tyler Malinky

@Coach Sommer Just started my first Gymnastic Bodies course with Fundamentals. As someone who has been wanting to become more flexible and mobile for years but with no concrete, real direction from a professional (with an impressive resume and results to back up their claims), your courses appear to be just what I was looking for! I found you and your website via the interview you did on the Tim Ferriss podcast. Thanks!

Mike C

After listening to your podcast with @timferriss I had to get this.  I've spent 20+ years being a mongo and smashing weights in the gym as well as doing stuff for the Army.  My body aches and I look forward to the journey and being able to move pain free.  

Jason Myers

I'm  doing the stretches from previous days (on day 3 now).    I'm assuming that's okay while listening when it's time to lay off.  Yes?

 

David Rennard

Yep, in a previous post, @Coach Sommer mentioned practicing previous days' content was ok. He notes, as you said, to only do that voluntary practice after you work on the current day's content.

There will also be a review of each position at the end of the first week, I think.

Rhaya Jordan

That makes me feel so much better to know there are no set reps.  I find the crab really challenging and the temptation is to really push it but with a history of shoulder gunge I'm going to slow down and be diligent instead.   If the course moves on each day should I just roll with the new exercises even though I'm nowhere near mastering day 1?

 

Constantin Dumba

Just wondering if we are expected to add each exercise to the daily routine, or simply do the one exercise for each day? would love some clarification. thanks

Wesley Tan

Your main focus should be on that particular days task. Once you have done this, you can review the previous days if you like. Make sure you are feeling good and not too heavily fatigued or achey from the previous drills. 

Melissa Henderson

Today was day two of the Fundamentals course. I was introduced by The Tim Ferris Show podcast (excellent show with Coach Sommer- really enjoyed it!) and am so stoked to be doing this. Much like Tim, I have always been fascinated by gymnastics but never had the exposure and as an adult, points of entry into this sport is few and far between!

My question concerns activities OUTSIDE of the fundamentals training. I am a runner and while I am not currently training for anything, I still like to get out and get miles in. Is there any harm in doing this at the same time as the fundamentals course?

Thanks!

Melissa 

Luiz De Almeida

Yes, here via the Tim Ferris Podcast - just wanted to say a massive thanks - it was probably one of the most influential podcasts I have ever heard.

 

Cheers,

Khaled Chatila

I also ended up here via Tim Ferris' podcast - I hope an app is near release :)

Mark Collins
On 19 May 2016 at 4:59 AM, Melissa Henderson said:

Today was day two of the Fundamentals course. I was introduced by The Tim Ferris Show podcast (excellent show with Coach Sommer- really enjoyed it!) and am so stoked to be doing this. Much like Tim, I have always been fascinated by gymnastics but never had the exposure and as an adult, points of entry into this sport is few and far between!

My question concerns activities OUTSIDE of the fundamentals training. I am a runner and while I am not currently training for anything, I still like to get out and get miles in. Is there any harm in doing this at the same time as the fundamentals course?

Thanks!

Melissa 

Run as much as you like. 

Melissa Henderson
On May 21, 2016 at 6:39 PM, Luiz De Almeida said:

Yes, here via the Tim Ferris Podcast - just wanted to say a massive thanks - it was probably one of the most influential podcasts I have ever heard.

 

Cheers,

Agreed. It was life-changing!

Chris Mitchell

Day 5, Tim and coach opened my eyes to this. Amazing!!

Troy Krisher

Like most I've heard on this forum, I too listen to Tim Ferriss's pod casts and got totally sucked in. My background is irrelevant as I am not an athlete nor to I pretend to be so, my goal is to feel better, be healthier than my previous days and pass this lifestyle to my children and those around me. 

I struggle with the basic's ROM and have fallen behind on the days as I attempt stretching my cement filled joints. My wrists and shoulders are by far my worst ones yet, but I am stubborn and persistent with my stretches.  So far, the improvements have small, noticeable and completely awesome and I am digging torturing myself with these exercises and stretches. 

One question; Is there an expiration date on the fundamentals course from the date you sign up?  I like to go back and reference the videos to work on stretches and movements in an attempt to improve and gauge my progress.

Seth Alexander
On 5/24/2016 at 11:39 AM, Troy Krisher said:

One question; Is there an expiration date on the fundamentals course from the date you sign up?  I like to go back and reference the videos to work on stretches and movements in an attempt to improve and gauge my progress.

 

Courses are ours for life (correct me if I'm wrong). One of the biggest selling points when I made the decision to start. My wife pays ~$22/mo for a gym membership. I'll have this forever (I'll get her on it too in time ;)).

Justin Schooth
On 18 May 2016 at 11:26 PM, Wesley Tan said:

Your main focus should be on that particular days task. Once you have done this, you can review the previous days if you like. Make sure you are feeling good and not too heavily fatigued or achey from the previous drills. 

 

Chris Chardon

I understand that there are no sets/reps that are required here (by design). I also understand that we're supposed to err on the side of caution. However, is there an "ideal" scenario, or at least what Coach Sommer would expect from an "average" beginner that you guys could list here? Five reps per exercise, ten...? Until you feel 50% "done"? Some sort of Perceived Rate of Exertion recommendation?

I'm guessing that you're supposed to do more of the stuff that you have trouble with and less of the stuff you don't (in my case, for instance, the crab is impossible for me to get into correctly at the moment, but the ape I can do perfectly with no discomfort–so I'm working on the crab), but no idea how much of anything.

Any sort of guidance along these lines would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Brandon Evans
On June 2, 2016 at 10:33 AM, Chris Chardon said:

I understand that there are no sets/reps that are required here (by design). I also understand that we're supposed to err on the side of caution. However, is there an "ideal" scenario, or at least what Coach Sommer would expect from an "average" beginner that you guys could list here? Five reps per exercise, ten...? Until you feel 50% "done"? Some sort of Perceived Rate of Exertion recommendation?

I'm guessing that you're supposed to do more of the stuff that you have trouble with and less of the stuff you don't (in my case, for instance, the crab is impossible for me to get into correctly at the moment, but the ape I can do perfectly with no discomfort–so I'm working on the crab), but no idea how much of anything.

Any sort of guidance along these lines would be appreciated.  Thanks.

I agree.  I understand the intent behind no rep counts, but leaving it completely open-ended is frustrating to me.  Are the other courses like this?

Cole Dano
37 minutes ago, Brandon Evans said:

I agree.  I understand the intent behind no rep counts, but leaving it completely open-ended is frustrating to me.  Are the other courses like this?

The other courses give you exact set/rep goals which automatically update based on your performance from week to week.

Ryan McKillen
4 hours ago, Brandon Evans said:

I agree.  I understand the intent behind no rep counts, but leaving it completely open-ended is frustrating to me.  Are the other courses like this?

+1 to what others are saying on here

And per the intro post on this thread:

Quote

The body thrives on consistency and moderation.  Especially for beginners who are still re-establishing natural ROM and re-building joint health.  Hard enough to lead to supercompensation, but not so hard as to push the joints over the edge.  Later on, if you want to kick the tires and put the pedal to the metal occasionally go for it.  But for now let's err on the side of caution.

I don't even have a frame of reference for what would be considered, consistency and moderation, super-compensation or what pushes the joints over the edges.

Some loose guidance, please.

 

Kevin Bulmann

I agree with all the above statements about frustrations of no reps and sets.  At least provide some sort of goal...the goal is to be able to do "______" for 15 seconds, or with little discomfort.... or whatever.   I don't know what I am supposed to be doing.  The videos say follow along but end after 2 minutes.   Please understand and trust that your students will self regulate to avoid over exertion or injury... however many individuals have to have a goal... something to work for.... or they won't do anything.  

On June 4, 2016 at 1:58 PM, Ryan McKillen said:

+1 to what others are saying on here

And per the intro post on this thread:

I don't even have a frame of reference for what would be considered, consistency and moderation, super-compensation or what pushes the joints over the edges.

Some loose guidance, please.

 

 

Arthur Bullock
On 5/23/2016 at 4:08 AM, Mark Collins said:

Run as much as you like. 

 

On 5/19/2016 at 0:59 PM, Melissa Henderson said:

Today was day two of the Fundamentals course. I was introduced by The Tim Ferris Show podcast (excellent show with Coach Sommer- really enjoyed it!) and am so stoked to be doing this. Much like Tim, I have always been fascinated by gymnastics but never had the exposure and as an adult, points of entry into this sport is few and far between!

My question concerns activities OUTSIDE of the fundamentals training. I am a runner and while I am not currently training for anything, I still like to get out and get miles in. Is there any harm in doing this at the same time as the fundamentals course?

Thanks!

Melissa 

Are there any types of workouts or activities that we should avoid during these courses? If running is ok, I assume cycling and swimming are too? What about kickboxing, weights, kettlebells, or other workouts/activities? I'd rather not screw up the results from GST with other workouts I'm already doing. If I need to stop or tone down the intensity of these other activities, no problem, just need to know what's the best course of action...