This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Wall bridge

Started by Jelena Djordjevic, February 5, 2017 · 34 Replies · 540 Views

Jelena Djordjevic

It's my second TB session, I don't know what to say and think about my body hahahaha...

Well... I knew that my shoulders and my spine are made of concrete, but it seems I expected miracle to happen after 45 min of stretching :)

So... question is... my bridge wall walk isn't good, far from good, I really try to open chest, shoulders, PPT, everything... and this is the result is video below :(

What should I do? Not going so low? Be closer to the wall? Or further? 

 

Pauline Taube

Hi Jelena,

Your Bridge may not be perfect (yet) but I have to say that this is a GREAT start!!! Most students are not even able to do this exercise to begin with. 

I can see that you're trying hard to hold to PPT to begin with and also use your upper back to go down. This will get easier once your shoulder and thoracic mobility improves! Keep working on the elevated bridge and focus on leaning into the Stretch so you arch through the Thoracic and not the low back. 

You go girl ;) can't wait to see your progress! This is good stuff!! 

Jon Douglas

Solid start :)

Winter Phoenix

Hi Jelena,

Welcome to the GymnasticBodies community! A GREAT start on your GB journey - we look forward to following your progress.

Jelena Djordjevic
2 hours ago, Pauline Taube said:

Hi Jelena,

Your Bridge may not be perfect (yet) but I have to say that this is a GREAT start!!! Most students are not even able to do this exercise to begin with. 

I can see that you're trying hard to hold to PPT to begin with and also use your upper back to go down. This will get easier once your shoulder and thoracic mobility improves! Keep working on the elevated bridge and focus on leaning into the Stretch so you arch through the Thoracic and not the low back. 

You go girl ;) can't wait to see your progress! This is good stuff!! 

For three years I am trying to open the chest, seems impossible. :) My lumbar spine is flexible, and it is very difficult to open the thoracic spine, arch through it and not the low back. 
But, I will be persistent. Oh, I can not wait to see a slight improvement. ;)

Jelena Djordjevic
41 minutes ago, Winter Phoenix said:

Hi Jelena,

Welcome to the GymnasticBodies community! A GREAT start on your GB journey - we look forward to following your progress.

Thank you!

Jelena Djordjevic
1 hour ago, Jon Douglas said:

Solid start :)

Good to hear ;)

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Jelena, a practical suggestion from my experience.

-stand from the wall like you are doing at the beginning of the video

-retract the scapula and depress them as much as possible, this will leads to your sternum to lift up improving the thoracic extension

-now begin to bend and then lift the arms overhead

All this process reduces the amount of lumbar spine involvement.

Jelena Djordjevic
Just now, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Jelena, a practical suggestion from my experience.

-stand from the wall like you are doing at the beginning of the video

-retract the scapula and depress them as much as possible, this will leads to your sternum to lift up improving the thoracic extension

-now begin to bend and then lift the arms overhead

All this process reduces the amount of lumbar spine involvement.

I will try next time and I will repost my video for check... Thanks... I have structural kyphosis, I guess, because when I am bending forward, I can see hump with sharp angles, it is not nicely rounded... But I hope that I am able to make some positive change in that area, in soft tissue...

Alessandro Mainente

Yes I noticed it from the video.let me know how do you feel it.

Jelena Djordjevic
17 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Yes I noticed it from the video.let me know how do you feel it.

Do people with structural kyphosis can achieve a solid bridge, ever? If structural kiphosis is not very big?

Suzanna McGee

@Jelena Djordjevic what a great start!!!! When I started I couldn't get below my hips.  I am 28 weeks into it and still cannot reach the ground! But yesterday I reached the lowest rung on my stall bars, so soon it will be the ground. You go girl, your thoracic will get more flexible as time goes. I am surprised how mine is improving. 

Alessandro Mainente

It depends on the degrees , structural kyphpsi with a flat upper back usually leads to less improvements but you need to see with a X-ray the level of extension reduction. difficult to say from behind a monitor.

Jelena Djordjevic
10 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

It depends on the degrees , structural kyphpsi with a flat upper back usually leads to less improvements but you need to see with a X-ray the level of extension reduction. difficult to say from behind a monitor.

I have MRI of lumbar spine, but never did thoracic spine segment. I know I have limitations, but maybe I can make some improvement, I will certainly do my best.:) 
This is my picture od forward bend, and picture of my bridge - best possible (yesterday after yoga class). What do you think? I know you're not a doctor, but what is your opinion? :)20170206_195819.thumb.jpg.9d1db13a2c32da0f0269b2adbb3fe70a.jpg20170206_174939.thumb.jpg.8c15884f7d4807b5b1eed93739519530.jpg

Jelena Djordjevic

@Suzanna McGee I have checked many posts in TB forum and I have seen your video... :) You have stiff back, but no limitations (structural kyphosis) like I do. Yes, and I saw your improvement!!! :D So glad to see that hard work pays off!!! ;)
I'll follow you and look forward to new successes!

Jelena Djordjevic

Is my bridge getting better, what do you think?

20170211_193344.png.9079b4d764205f799e319ba374294833.pngThis is just after TB session... :)

Jeffrey Bittner

Nice improvement Jelena!

Winter Phoenix

Great work Jelena - I enjoy following your GB journey!

Jelena Djordjevic
1 hour ago, Jeffrey Bittner said:

Nice improvement Jelena!

Thanks :)

Jelena Djordjevic
21 minutes ago, Winter Phoenix said:

Great work Jelena - I enjoy following your GB journey!

Happy :D

Leo Trinidad

Keep on posting Jelena. Good job. :)

Jelena Djordjevic

Tonight I was trying elevated bridge and than walkover. One question, should I elevate my legs a little bit more or change something in my technique?

 

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Jelena Djordjevic, If you can straighten your legs on that position then it would be better. If you cant straighten them from that position then I suggest to elevate them until you straighten them. :)

Jelena Djordjevic
5 hours ago, Leo Trinidad said:

Hi @Jelena Djordjevic, If you can straighten your legs on that position then it would be better. If you cant straighten them from that position then I suggest to elevate them until you straighten them. :)

OK, thnx, I'll try straighten them next time ;)
Did I pushed my shoulders far enough? :)

Alessandro Mainente

Definitely some genetical restriction, you should spend the vast majority of the time on elevated bridge for now rather than floor bridge.